collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UW-OSU...now THAT was a comeback  (Read 7752 times)

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
UW-OSU...now THAT was a comeback
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:01:58 PM »
While some fanboys want to celebrate beating the powerhouse USF, UW just completed an amazing comeback vs the number one team in the country.

Some game notes...

--Unlike MU, UW can actually get big defensive rebounds.  OSU was one and done during the deciding run.  I can only remember one offensive rebound in the last 10 minutes or so.
--Being able to SHOOT THE BASKETBALL matters, folks.  I could care less about switchables slashing to the hoop.  Give me guys who can put the ball in the basket. 
--BO CAN COACH
--Jordan Taylor is big time
--Give me traditional guys that can execute fundamentals over "athletes" that are hit and miss and have low basketball IQ.

Let's see if MU steps up vs Georgetown...

willie warrior

• All American
Re: UW-OSU...now THAT was a comeback
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »
Touche' and ouch!

Don't know about others, but I am tired of Wisconsin BB success and pub and MU playiong second fiddle.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:03 PM »
Great win by UW and not at all surprising.  Very well coached, good shooters, good free throw shooters, high basketball IQ. A lot of pundits picked them to win this game, not surprising at all that they did. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »
Bucky was a 1.5 point favorite.  They won by 3 so not exactly a shocker.

Nevertheless it was a great win.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
Please go back in time and go to Wisconsin. Why does UW winning give a faction of our fan base so much joy? I bet you were rooting for the come back so you could come on here and post this. Disgusting.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
Wouldn't bet against UW at home as long as Bo is coach.

Defense always gives you a chance to get back in it....and if you go unconscious from three well you're not going to lose.  

Looks like another high seed for Bucky,  under-achievement again relative to seeding though???

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 03:11:09 PM »
As my handle says, I graduated in 1984.  Bucky did not go to the tourney from 1947 to 1994.  I'm not from Wisconsin (from Chicago).  So my memories are of Bucky being embarrassingly pathetic (because they were) and I have no emotional ties to Wisconsin.

So, I was rooting for Bucky because I wanted to see a #1 lose.

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
Please go back in time and go to Wisconsin. Why does UW winning give a faction of our fan base so much joy? I bet you were rooting for the come back so you could come on here and post this. Disgusting.

There is no reason MU should be the runt of the litter in the state, always playing second fiddle to UW.

And there is no reason MU should play with such low bball IQ.  For example, would DJO get away with his numerous 1 on 3 out of control drives on fast breaks if Bo was coach?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
Tell me one thing you like about MU. Just one. The only thing you ever post is praising UW or bashing MU. And there is a faction on here aside from you that can't wait to do both. It's beyond annoying.

NumenFlumenque

• Walk-On
  • Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
There is no reason MU should be the runt of the litter in the state, always playing second fiddle to UW.

And there is no reason MU should play with such low bball IQ.  For example, would DJO get away with his numerous 1 on 3 out of control drives on fast breaks if Bo was coach?

Aren't you forgetting the fact that Bo Ryan would never recruit a player with such a low basketball IQ? Come on!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 03:25:44 PM »
Sometimes posts like the OP's make me grateful...grateful I'm not related to someone like the OP.
No Finish Line

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »
Where was this post after the UW vs. Iowa game?? Badgers exactly mirrored MU's struggles on the road against a conference opponent. You really will scrape for anything to bash MU.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
Shouldn't we all be saying tOSU is overrated and Matta can't coach.    After all, it is unforgivable to blow a big lead on the road.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:33:56 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »
Tell me one thing you like about MU. Just one. The only thing you ever post is praising UW or bashing MU. And there is a faction on here aside from you that can't wait to do both. It's beyond annoying.

MU usually plays hard.

But I'm not a fan of Buzz as a game coach or the way the team plays so undisciplined, which again comes back to coaching.  There's just no excuse for the poor defense that Buzz teaches.

Do I like Bo and UW...nope.  I do root for the football team, though.

Do I wish Bo was the coach at MU instead of Buzz...absolutely.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »

A bit extreme, don't you think?  MY isn't the runt of the litter in the state.  We're ahead of UW-(hyphen) Milwaukee and UWGB.  Yes, UW-madison is the best program in the state the last decade, but we still have it on them all time. 

What troubles me is that it doesn't matter how many star players they recruit, they're still going to be very good.  They get how to play as a team, they play for each other.  It's ugly as crap to watch, but it's effective.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »
Point 1: Superbar this shat.
Point 2: Warriors1965 errr nomorebuycks, still waiting for my $50 you bet me 5 weeks ago.

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
A bit extreme, don't you think?  MY isn't the runt of the litter in the state.  We're ahead of UW-(hyphen) Milwaukee and UWGB.  Yes, UW-madison is the best program in the state the last decade, but we still have it on them all time. 

What troubles me is that it doesn't matter how many star players they recruit, they're still going to be very good.  They get how to play as a team, they play for each other.  It's ugly as crap to watch, but it's effective.

I wasn't even thinking about UWM or UWGB, to be honest.  

I just hate how Bo can always make them a very good team, regardless of talent.

It seems like UW will always be better than MU now, which is frustrating, to say the least.  But MU's ceiling will always be lower than UW's because Buzz can't coach defense.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
While some fanboys want to celebrate beating the powerhouse USF, UW just completed an amazing comeback vs the number one team in the country.

Some game notes...

--Unlike MU, UW can actually get big defensive rebounds.  OSU was one and done during the deciding run.  I can only remember one offensive rebound in the last 10 minutes or so.
--Being able to SHOOT THE BASKETBALL matters, folks.  I could care less about switchables slashing to the hoop.  Give me guys who can put the ball in the basket. 
--BO CAN COACH
--Jordan Taylor is big time
--Give me traditional guys that can execute fundamentals over "athletes" that are hit and miss and have low basketball IQ.

Let's see if MU steps up vs Georgetown...

1 word. Pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »
The ignore button really helps in times like these. Warriors65/nmb is a troll. Of his 63 posts around 55 of them were either bashing Buzz or Blue. No use getting all bent out of shape at what he says.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 04:01:31 PM »
Two years ago we had three seniors that played together for four years and a very good junior (LH).  We were top 10 and a 6 seed.

The three seniors graduated and the next season we still managed the same seed (6th) as the year before.

This year Wisconsin starts three seniors that played together for four years and a very good junior (Jordan).  They will be knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking next week.  Holding everything constant and Bo is doing about as well as Buzz.  So this year tells us little about Bo v Buzz.

Let's see how Bo does next year when his three seniors are gone.  Will he do as good as Buzz last year?

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »
That win had very little to do with coaching or Wisconsin playing as a team.  It was the Jordan Taylor show.  It was exactly the same as watching ND-Pitt, substituting Taylor for Hansbrough.  Run the clock down and let your #1 guy go 1-on-1, with 4 guys on the perimeter.  If anyone helps you kick to an open 3-point shooter.  That's post-Jordan NBA basketball, which college basketball fans criticize all the time.  

UW didn't win because they played good defense.  OSU shot the ball over 50% and had only 7 turnovers.  UW won because Taylor dominated the second half, and the other guys hit their open 3's at a better than average rate.  I don't think that takes tremendous smarts.

Also, OSU pretty much took themselves off the offensive boards by not playing Lauderdale or DeShaun Thomas, and instead playing 4 guards/small forwards and Sullinger.

What irratates me more than when people compliment WI is when people compliment WI for doing things well that they didn't even do well.  

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »
Two years ago we had three seniors that played together for four years and a very good junior (LH).  We were top 10 and a 6 seed.

The three seniors graduated and the next season we still managed the same seed (6th) as the year before.

This year Wisconsin starts three seniors that played together for four years and a very good junior (Jordan).  They will be knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking next week.  Holding everything constant and Bo is doing about as well as Buzz.  So this year tells us little about Bo v Buzz.

Let's see how Bo does next year when his three seniors are gone.  Will he do as good as Buzz last year?

If Taylor stays, UW is a top 10 team next year.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »

I just hate how Bo can always make them a very good team, regardless of talent.
It seems like UW will always be better than MU now, which is frustrating, to say the least.  But MU's ceiling will always be lower than UW's because Buzz can't coach defense.

You do realize Jordan Taylor and John Leuer are 1st round NBA picks this Summer correct?  Those guys are VERY talented. You also realize there were COUNTLESS possesions in that game where UW had NOTHING working, other than to get the ball to Taylor with 8 seconds left on the shot clock - and he heaved up a few 3's that went in.  Is that good coaching?

UW is having a great year and deserves credit, however, should Taylor elect to go pro after this season (which seems likely), coupled with losing Leuer and Nankivil - I like MU's chances - even playing at the Kohl.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
If Taylor stays, UW is a top 10 team next year.  

Ok, Wisconsin was pre-season 12 this year (and currently 14 so performing as expected).

Explain to me how losing Leuer, Nankivil and Jarmusz  makes them better?

You really think Bruesewitz, Evans and Berggren are better?  They have to be to improve from their pre-season #12 this year.

Here's the answer .... This is the year for Bucky to make the final four.  Next year they are the middle of the pack with Jordan Taylor, or down with Iowa and Penn State without him.

And I agree with Ners ... Bucky's next Kohl center loss is to MU next year, especially if Taylor comes out earlier.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
You do realize Jordan Taylor and John Leuer are 1st round NBA picks this Summer correct?  Those guys are VERY talented. You also realize there were COUNTLESS possesions in that game where UW had NOTHING working, other than to get the ball to Taylor with 8 seconds left on the shot clock - and he heaved up a few 3's that went in.  Is that good coaching?

UW is having a great year and deserves credit, however, should Taylor elect to go pro after this season (which seems likely), coupled with losing Leuer and Nankivil - I like MU's chances - even playing at the Kohl.

Welcome back.  Did you survive the weather down there in Dallas...that was brutal.

Taylor isn't coming out early.  You guys keep forgetting there is likely to be a NBA lockout after this season.

Leuer is not a first round pick....hell, most mock draft boards have Tyshawn Taylor going before him and he's been bagged here constantly (I wonder why  ::) )

MU has won only one game at the Kohl in our history, though it was by a really bad coach who couldn't recruit so I agree we have a chance.

Yes, UW is having another great year....again and again.  >:(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:29:07 PM by ChicosBailBonds »