[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UW-OSU...now THAT was a comeback  (Read 7747 times)

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
Re: UW-OSU...now THAT was a comeback
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »
You do realize Jordan Taylor and John Leuer are 1st round NBA picks this Summer correct?  Those guys are VERY talented. You also realize there were COUNTLESS possesions in that game where UW had NOTHING working, other than to get the ball to Taylor with 8 seconds left on the shot clock - and he heaved up a few 3's that went in.  Is that good coaching?

UW is having a great year and deserves credit, however, should Taylor elect to go pro after this season (which seems likely), coupled with losing Leuer and Nankivil - I like MU's chances - even playing at the Kohl.

IMO, PG is the most important position, and UW will have one of the best in the country.  Bo has a proven system and he'll have guys that can knock down the open shot if Taylor doesn't shoot.  They play good defense, shoot FT's well and don't commit turnovers. 

As far as MU winning next year in the Kohl center...they had better get a PG.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
Hey warriors1965 wanna bet on next years game?

Wait...nevermind

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 04:48:51 PM »
Interesting Stats

Wisconsin is ranked #1 in the country in offense efficiency
Wisconsin is ranked #345 (dead last) in tempo.

They play a very slow very efficient offensive game.  Other than being boring to watch, the state of Wisconsin better keep producing big white farmboys that can hit 3s (and so far they have) as you're not going to get many athletic running types that want to play in the NBA with this style.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
Interesting Stats

Wisconsin is ranked #1 in the country in offense efficiency
Wisconsin is ranked #345 (dead last) in tempo.

They play a very slow very efficient offensive game.  Other than being boring to watch, the state of Wisconsin better keep producing big white farmboys that can hit 3s (and so far they have) as you're not going to get many athletic running types that want to play in the NBA with this style.

But they don't care, because all they do is keep winning.  Their program isn't about putting a bunch of guys into the NBA, it's about TEAM and winning and playing intelligently, playing DEFENSE (what a concept).  Yes, they are boring as anything to watch. Brutal boring....but all they do is win and win and win.  For a program that was off the map for 50 years, pretty incredible what they've done the last decade plus.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »
I dunno..., Northwestern had osu on the ropes- finally lost by 1- at Evanston..., maybe had they beaten osu this uw-madison game wouldn't mean crap.  Is Carmody a genius? are the wildcats deserving of a top ten ranking?  I don't think so.  Rather, I think osu is slumping and would have lost sooner or later.  The fact that it was the baaajrs makes me want to stick my head in the oven, but I appreciate that it was half a big win and half a gift from the buckeyes.  IMO both teams are currently over-rated.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
playing DEFENSE (what a concept). 

Overall Defense is ranked #36
Turnover % = #297 (what do you expect from slow white guys)
eFG% (defense) = #40
Off Rebound % = #34
FTA/FGA = #59

Is this the definition of "play defense" for a top 10 team?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
And now it is being tweeted that a fan spit in Sullinger's face.  Source: Sullinger
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
OSU was tops,
Till Motta's big lead slowdown,
Give Coach Bo his props.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »
But they don't care, because all they do is keep winning.  Their program isn't about putting a bunch of guys into the NBA, it's about TEAM and winning and playing intelligently, playing DEFENSE (what a concept).  Yes, they are boring as anything to watch. Brutal boring....but all they do is win and win and win.  For a program that was off the map for 50 years, pretty incredible what they've done the last decade plus.

Agree, they're disciplined and play together. MU on the otherhand has 5 players who on occasion play as a team, but for the most part play as individuals. I'm might be wrong, but that is my impression. Good win for UW. Hope we win tomorrow at Georgetown.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »
17 straight minutes of one-on-one plays for Taylor.  That's the very definition of team basketball.  I guess the other guys did a good job of not turning the ball over while killing the 20-25 s. of shot clock before getting the ball back to Taylor.  Not sure why Matta did not go into extreme ball denial on Taylor like Buzz did on Hansbrough with DJO when ND ran that offense.       

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
Overall Defense is ranked #36
Turnover % = #297 (what do you expect from slow white guys)
eFG% (defense) = #40
Off Rebound % = #34
FTA/FGA = #59

Is this the definition of "play defense" for a top 10 team?

They're 36th in Defense out of 345 schools.  Yes, I'd say that's playing solid defense. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 09:28:19 AM »
For a program that was off the map for 50 years, pretty incredible what they've done the last decade plus.

I agree ...

Wisconsin NCAA appearances
1999 to date (12 in a row).

From 1947 to 1998:
Last in the B10 = 6 times
9th in the B10 = 11 times
8th in the B10 = 6 times

23 of 51 years they finished 8 to 10.  You could argue that for this 51 year period, they were the worst program in the B10, worse than Northwestern.

I remember the Cofield/Yoder years and they were an absolute embarrassment.  Think the three years of Dukiet times 5.

Since, 1999, they have made 12 straight NCAA's appearances.  Nine of them under Bo Ryan (the first three under Bennett and Soderberg).  During Ryan's nine years, they won the B10 three times, finished second twice and never lower than 4th.

Has any other program been this bad for decades and is now this good?  I cannot think of one.

Props to Bo, he has done a remarkable job.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:43:45 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »
I agree ...

Wisconsin NCAA appearances
1999 to date (12 in a row).

From 1947 to 1998:
Last in the B10 = 6 times
9th in the B10 = 11 times
8th in the B10 = 6 times

23 of 51 years they finished 8 to 10.  You could argue that for this 51 year period, they were the worst program in the B10, worse the Northwestern.

I remember the Cofield/Yoder years and they were an absolute embarrassment.  Think the three years of Dukiet times 5.

Since, 1999, they have made 12 straight NCAA's appearances.  Nine of them under Bo Ryan (the first three under Bennett and Soderberg).  During Ryan's nine years, they won the B10 three times, finished second twice and never lower than 4th.

Has any other program been this bad for decades and is now this good?  I cannot think of one.

Props to Bo, he has done a remarkable job.

Bo has done a remarkable job continuing what Dick Bennett brought in.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »
Great win by UW and not at all surprising.  Very well coached, good shooters, good free throw shooters, high basketball IQ. A lot of pundits picked them to win this game, not surprising at all that they did. 

Didn't know I was a pundit.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback