[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

What Statement Do You Agree Most With?

I want Bucky to win because I cannot stand that OSU (America's largest community college) is undefeated and #1
4 (6.9%)
I Want OSU to win because I cannot stand anything Bucky
19 (32.8%)
I Want Bucky to win because I love everything Madison!!!
2 (3.4%)
I want OSU to win because Bucky needs to be taken down a peg so MU can compete on the recruting trail as Bucky's business school ranking is killing us with J.P. Tokoto
9 (15.5%)
I hope an asteriod hits the Kohl Center between 2PM and 4PM ET today to put all of us out of our misery.
24 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: OSU v Wisc Poll  (Read 10688 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: OSU v Wisc Poll
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »
I am sure the good Jesuits are very disappointed that an MU student/alum/avid basketball fan would even include much less choose the last option.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2011, 07:41:40 PM »
I'm not in the State of Wisconsin. I was also cheering for Wisconsin to win that game. Having OSU atop the rankings is disgusting, like when Memphis would be ranked first after the mass exodus from CUSA.

I'll be embarrassed if Marquette is ever favored in a game and our students rush the court.

Why?  Why can't you just have fun and let the kids enjoy themselves?  Besides, being favored is a Vegas betting line, nothing more.  It is not a predictor of who is going to win.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »
Why?  Why can't you just have fun and let the kids enjoy themselves?  Besides, being favored is a Vegas betting line, nothing more.  It is not a predictor of who is going to win.

First, let's get real these aren't kids. They are adults. There are guidelines to follow. While, I'll give more credit to these UW kids rushing the court  than say Indiana over Illinois or Indiana over Minnesota, storming the court should be reserved only for the pure magical moments. If the action is watered down it means nothing for the future.

You don't storm the court when you should have won the game from the start.

Thinking back, the Big Ten is clearly setting the pace for poor court stormings with Indiana doing some big damage. Remember when Michigan rushed after they beat a bad UConn team?

Chicos, what are your court storming guidelines? Should we have rushed after knocking off #2 UConn? We didn't but that was far more worthy than UW win today.

What about when we just beat #9 Syracuse? Should we have rushed? We didn't and we shouldn't have.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »
Bad court rushings make me squirm.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2011, 08:45:06 PM »
I think a court rushing is acceptable when you beat a #1.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2011, 08:55:04 PM »
First, let's get real these aren't kids. They are adults. There are guidelines to follow. While, I'll give more credit to these UW kids rushing the court  than say Indiana over Illinois or Indiana over Minnesota, storming the court should be reserved only for the pure magical moments. If the action is watered down it means nothing for the future.

You don't storm the court when you should have won the game from the start.

Thinking back, the Big Ten is clearly setting the pace for poor court stormings with Indiana doing some big damage. Remember when Michigan rushed after they beat a bad UConn team?

Chicos, what are your court storming guidelines? Should we have rushed after knocking off #2 UConn? We didn't but that was far more worthy than UW win today.

What about when we just beat #9 Syracuse? Should we have rushed? We didn't and we shouldn't have.

They're college kids....many can't legally drink yet.  They're 18-22 year olds, some are young adults but many are kids.

Magical moments are defined by those in the arena.  If you haven't won for a long time (IU), then beating a ranked team is a magical moment.  When I went to MU, we hadn't beaten Notre Dame in forever and rushed the court. It was great, we had a blast and folks were pumped up.  ND wasn't ranked, we sure as hell weren't but it's a magical memory I'll never forget because we were so bad it finally gave us something to be excited about.  That's why IU rushed the court against Illinois, one of their top 3 fiercest rivals but didn't rush the court against beating ranked Minnesota a few days later.  The people will decide the moment.

This idea of guidelines is silly.  There is no handbook on this. It's called being impromptu, spur of the moment, caught up in the moment.

If it was up to me, yeah I think it would have been pretty cool to rush the court against UCONN.  I don't know how that game was "more worthy" in your mind than what UW did.  UCONN wasn't #1 and this was Wisconsin's only second win ever against a #1.

It's also about expectations.  Should we rush the court beating #9 Syracuse after we've gone to the NCAA 5 or 6 straight years?  Nope.   Should we say a team like IU who has to start their program over from scratch and finally got a win over a ranked team in 3 years can't?  Really?  Sorry, but I disagree.  It's where you're coming from and what the expectations are.  I sincerely doubt you'll see IU rushing the court in years to come when they start loading up.  It's also why MU doesn't rush the court (aside from the BC security being a tough one) but we have rushed it on a number of occasions in the last 25 years. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »
For real Chicos?  UW was projected to win.  They've beat OSU the last six times at home and they are ranked #14.

We were picked to finish 12th in our conference.  We were unranked and we were missing started Wes Matthews when we beat #2 UCONN. 

I'd say our win was bigger and not deserving of a court rushing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »
For real Chicos?  UW was projected to win.  They've beat OSU the last six times at home and they are ranked #14.

We were picked to finish 12th in our conference.  We were unranked and we were missing started Wes Matthews when we beat #2 UCONN. 

I'd say our win was bigger and not deserving of a court rushing.

I'm surprised Chicos isn't in full pimp mode of that UConn game. Easily one of Tommy's best games.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
Cream out coached that miserable bastard Calhoun in that game.  It was fantastic.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
I'm surprised Chicos isn't in full pimp mode of that UConn game. Easily one of Tommy's best games.

It was a great win and I said we should have rushed the court, but beating #1 is a big deal, bigger than beating #2.

Tommy, Cream, etc?  Your guys hatred is strong, get ready for years of it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2011, 10:04:22 PM »

It was a great win and I said we should have rushed the court, but beating #1 is a big deal, bigger than beating #2.

Tommy, Cream, etc?  Your guys hatred is strong, get ready for years of it.

Marquette beating #2 UConn in 2006 is far greater of a win that what just happened in Madison. It was actually an upset.

I don't hate him that much. He will never sustain long-term success, so don't be going balls deep on him too soon Chicos.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:07:34 PM by marqptm »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2011, 10:30:31 PM »
Whoops.  The iPad switched Crean to Cream.  I'm fine with Crean's time at MU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
I think a court rushing is acceptable when you beat a #1.

I think it only makes sense to rush the court if Erin Andrews is working the game, regardless of the outcome.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2011, 09:18:28 AM »

I think it only makes sense to rush the court if Erin Andrews is working the game, regardless of the outcome.

+1

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2011, 11:14:26 AM »

This. +1.

Here's how I feel about storming the court. This used to be sacred tradition, fitting for the biggest of upsets and celebrations. Set aside for the little school knocking off the favorite, huge last second victories over storied rivals and clinching a championship against the team you just beat at home.

This tradition is far too watered down today. I don't care who Indiana is now, any team with five national championships should never be storming the court over a win against an overrated Illinois. Now if they beat Illinois to clinch the Big Ten Championship, go balls out. This is just one example, but students these days are far too quick the pull the trigger.

Looking at the UW-OSU game, if I were in the student section, here's my thought process. Huge game, against the #1 team in the country. However, OSU has never won in my house. We're not scared of OSU, hell, we are favored to win this game. My team should win this game, and if they don't they didn't play to the level that they should have. Buzzer goes off, I'll be excited as crap. I will yell and cheer as the team should walk over to the student sections and give some high-fives. But you act like you knew you were going to win the game. You don't go sprinting onto the court like you're team just performed the upset of the year.

Chicos, you said this is about expectations. UW should have expected to win this game. UW should have stayed in the stands.

Would other Big Ten teams storm the court after beating OSU? Indiana, Penn State, Iowa, Northwesten for sure. Michigan State would not storm the court. Illinois & Michigan have some pretty stupid student sections.

hilltoppah

• Walk-On
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »
Would other Big Ten teams storm the court after beating OSU? Indiana, Penn State, Iowa, Northwesten for sure. Michigan State would not storm the court. Illinois & Michigan have some pretty stupid student sections.

Really?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »
Really?

Unranked Michigan State were HUGE dogs in that game. It was a true upset. Not quite comparable.

hilltoppah

• Walk-On
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2011, 02:49:37 PM »
Unranked Michigan State were HUGE dogs in that game. It was a true upset. Not quite comparable.

The line was MSU +1.5.

Link to spread of last 5 MSU home games vs Wisconsin