collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Suits and Sneakers (Warning: Unabashed Crean bashing)  (Read 4883 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Suits and Sneakers (Warning: Unabashed Crean bashing)
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:04:47 PM »
This is obviously the weekend where coaches wear sneakers with their suits to help build awareness of early cancer detection. Most coaches that is. For the past few years, Tom Crean, in what I can only conclude is the ultimate sign of his own vanity, has not worn a suit, but rather has gone with the pre-season-tournament-style wind jacket, sweat pants, and sneakers for his games during this weekend. This guy obviously has felt he is to good to possibly be seen in something as ridiculous as a suit and sneakers.

I am pointing it out because have found it pathetic every year, and this is becoming an annual post. I am obviously doing it in advance of the game, so perhaps I will have to stand corrected, and applaud him for finally putting his vanity aside.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:33:44 AM by NavinRJohnson »

NCAARules

• Starter
Re: Suits and Sneakers (Warning: Unabashed Crean bashing)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
I noticed this during the games today: Jay Wright and Jim Calhoun did the warm-up/casual attire.

JTIII, Dixon, Buzz, Boeheim, Mike Rice all wore suits.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »
As an aside, it's a wonder how Crean is able to recruit and influence players now that he's at an Adidas school.
SS Marquette

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »
Pitino looked like he went with the tieless collared shirt.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »
From the cancer.org website:

Suits and Sneakers, a national event designed to raise awareness about Coaches vs. Cancer and the importance of cancer prevention and early detection was January 30-February 1, 2009. During that weekend, coaches and coaching staff nationwide wore sneakers with their suits while coaching games during this weekend to remind college basketball audiences about the many ways people can reduce their risk of cancer, like eating right, exercising, making healthy lifestyle choices, and following the American Cancer Society's recommended cancer screening guidelines.

Does this make sense to anyone?  Maybe a marketing guy can explain this.  Did coaches wearing sneakers do any of that?  Was anyone "reminded" of the "many ways people can reduce their risk of cancer"?   I think the announcement at the BC was about "raising awareness of cancer." 

Really?  Are people not "aware" of cancer?    Are they now?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
This is obviously the weekend where coaches wear sneakers with their suits to help build awareness of early cancer detection. Most coaches that is. For the past few years, Tom Crean, in what I can only conclude is the ultimate sign of his own vanity, has not worn a suit, but rather has gone with the pre-season-tournament-style wind jacket, sweat pants, and sneakers for his games during this weekend. This guy obviously has felt he is to good to possibly be seen in something as ridiculous as a suit and sneakers.

I am pointing it out because have found it pathetic every year, and this is becoming an annual post. I am obviously doing it in advance of the game, so perhaps I will have to stand corrected, and applaud him for finally putting his vanity aside.

There were a lot of coaches who went with the casual attire along with sneakers look this weekend. Crean is not out of place at all.

People who are so hung up on Crean and look for even the little things to rip, while also being desperate to play amateur psychologist, are baffling to me in their ridiculousness.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »
Was anyone "reminded" of the "many ways people can reduce their risk of cancer"?  Are people not "aware" of cancer?

I have to admit, a lot of these "awareness" events are starting to get out of hand.  I am approaching the point of assuming people who take part in these things are doing it for the "look at me, I care" factor rather than genuine concern.

Show me a story about these coaches spending time in the cancer unit of a local hospital.  Frankly, wearing tennis shoes or pink ribbons means nothing to me.  Same as politicians always wearing an American flag lapel pin.  Whatever...

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:06:22 AM »
I have to admit, a lot of these "awareness" events are starting to get out of hand.  I am approaching the point of assuming people who take part in these things are doing it for the "look at me, I care" factor rather than genuine concern.

Show me a story about these coaches spending time in the cancer unit of a local hospital.  Frankly, wearing tennis shoes or pink ribbons means nothing to me.  Same as politicians always wearing an American flag lapel pin.  Whatever...

Its not cancer, but here is an example of a coach spending some time at a local hosptial... Its a great story and makes it really hard to hate Coach K.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/01/26/coach-k-duke-help-little-guy-at-rutgers/

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:29:15 AM »
There were a lot of coaches who went with the casual attire along with sneakers look this weekend. Crean is not out of place at all.

People who are so hung up on Crean and look for even the little things to rip, while also being desperate to play amateur psychologist, are baffling to me in their ridiculousness.

The event is called "Suits and Sneakers". Coaches dress in this odd, self deprecating and foolish way in an attempt to raise cancer awareness and promote better lifestyle decisions. I have no idea whether or not it is effective, and it's certainly not a huge deal, but those too vain to go along with the program (like TC and Jay Wright) should expect some criticism.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:10:55 AM »
Slightly off topic:  I still don't understand why coaches wear suits.  It seems ridiculous.  Lord knows that they shouldn't wear uniforms like baseball managers, but I would have no problem if Buzz dressed like Huggins or wore some other non-suit attire.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:32:21 AM »
Yes Lenny, they should expect some criticism from obsessed losers at their former schools who complain about every public statement and gesture they make.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 11:56:54 AM »
I have to admit, a lot of these "awareness" events are starting to get out of hand. 

A few months ago John Madden and a Vikings player I can't think of right now were calling into sports radio stations to raise awareness for heartburn.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 12:06:25 PM »
A few months ago John Madden and a Vikings player I can't think of right now were calling into sports radio stations to raise awareness for heartburn.

What color ribbon do we wear for heartburn?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Slightly off topic:  I still don't understand why coaches wear suits.  It seems ridiculous.  Lord knows that they shouldn't wear uniforms like baseball managers, but I would have no problem if Buzz dressed like Huggins or wore some other non-suit attire.

Huggy can't fit his whiskey belly into a suit anymore.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »
What color ribbon do we wear for heartburn?

Sh!t brown.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »
Is it important? Hell no. I just happen to think its pretty pathetic, and have thought so about Crean for the past several years, I believe even while he was still here. These guys wears a suit for every other (non-holiday tournament) game on the schedule, but because they asked to wear sneakers 1 time, they can't bring themselves to do it. They even call it Suits and Sneakers, not Wind Shirts and Sneakers. is anyone really going to think any less of you because you look a little odd wearing sneakers with your suit? Its arrogance and vanity, plain and simple.

Huggins is the obvious exception. He looks like a fat dope all the time.

feedback