collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 08:04:21 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: someone check on tom crean  (Read 6228 times)

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
someone check on tom crean
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »
I watched Indiana Wisconsin last night and was impressed by how hard the Hoosiers played for the tan one.  Nice to see Doc Rivers son play well.  Michigan now appears to be in the cellar.  Unfotuantely for Indiana they lost their best player again for the season.  Chicos must be wearing black today.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Indiana Playig Much Better
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:04:49 AM »
Trust me, they'll drop more turds.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:09:18 AM »
I am wearing black today, mostly because of the slimming effects it has. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
I am wearing black today, mostly because of the slimming effects it has. 

Al Bundy: "It's not the dress that makes you look fat. It's the fat that makes you look fat."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »
I watched Indiana Wisconsin last night and was impressed by how hard the Hoosiers played for the tan one.  Nice to see Doc Rivers son play well.  Michigan now appears to be in the cellar.  Unfotuantely for Indiana they lost their best player again for the season.  Chicos must be wearing black today.

Indiana is playing better. Last year at this time they were also playing fairly well, even after Creek got hurt. Then for some reason the team just quit. This year Creek's injury may actually help them as he wasn't back to his old self - his poor play was actually hurting them. It'll be interesting to see if they finish strong or throw in the towel down the stretch like they did last year.

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »
They're down 17 to Iowa right now and look pretty bad.  If you thought we missed a lot of easy shots under the basket against ND, that's nothing compared to IU today.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »
Trust me, they'll drop more turds.

The biggest turd they need to drop is Crean!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 06:10:02 PM »
Pathetic game by Indiana today.  No defense at all.  Good thing their fanbase is enamored with a coach who will give speeches to alumni and at frat houses. 

mviale

• All American
someone check on tom crean
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
His team got schooled by 0-7 Iowa today.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: someone check on tom crean
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 06:12:39 PM »
He is getting an insane amount of patience.  Rich Rod is jealous.

Maybe this is too soon for Crean to have built a Sweet 16 team given what he inherited.  But this is absolutely pathetic.  Indiana is one of the best programs ever.  You need to be able to overcome a 4 year old scandal and injuries to the point where you are not getting wiped off the floor by a terrible team.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »
His team got schooled by 0-7 Iowa today.

You can check him the next few years when he's still there.

Still amazes me terrible of a coach he was...our current staff will likely go to 4 or 5 Final Fours I would have to think. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
Pathetic game by Indiana today.  No defense at all.  Good thing their fanbase is enamored with a coach who will give speeches to alumni and at frat houses. 

Their fanbase knows they lost one starter yesterday and another significant player last week.  They also know what's coming to campus next year and beyond.  Meanwhile, hopefully we can make the NCAA this year in Buzz's first year without Crean players.  I think we will, though we sure are making it interesting

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 06:31:10 PM »

Their fanbase knows they lost one starter yesterday and another significant player last week.  They also know what's coming to campus next year and beyond.  Meanwhile, hopefully we can make the NCAA this year in Buzz's first year without Crean players.  I think we will, though we sure are making it interesting

I hope we make it too, but not sure what perspective MU's tourney prospects give this.

Indiana is a cream of the crop program.  Top 5 or 6.  Marquette is probably somewhere between 20-30 if you rank programs.  It's not an apples to apples comparison.  Plus this is a tough year for Buzz since Crean left him no recruiting class from 2007 and 2008.  Buzz is doing one heck of a job considering all else being equal, it is much harder to get players to come to Marquette compared to Indiana.  Buzz has 0 Crean players and Crean has 0 Sampson players.  Buzz is destroying Crean right now with a tougher product to sell and an equally tough conference. 

If IU fans want to take the "wait till next year" approach good for them.  Any way you look at it, Indiana should not get absolutely destroyed by Iowa.  Iowa is going through adversity with a coaching change too. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 07:31:05 PM »
I hope we make it too, but not sure what perspective MU's tourney prospects give this.

Indiana is a cream of the crop program.  Top 5 or 6.  Marquette is probably somewhere between 20-30 if you rank programs.  It's not an apples to apples comparison.  Plus this is a tough year for Buzz since Crean left him no recruiting class from 2007 and 2008.  Buzz is doing one heck of a job considering all else being equal, it is much harder to get players to come to Marquette compared to Indiana.  Buzz has 0 Crean players and Crean has 0 Sampson players.  Buzz is destroying Crean right now with a tougher product to sell and an equally tough conference. 

If IU fans want to take the "wait till next year" approach good for them.  Any way you look at it, Indiana should not get absolutely destroyed by Iowa.  Iowa is going through adversity with a coaching change too. 

MU came from 5 straight NCAA appearances and is picked to make it this year.  Indiana was picked 9th or 10th in the Big Ten this year.  If MU doesn't make it, it will be MU that fails to meet expectations this year, not IU.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:24 PM »

Fulce, Otule, and E-Will are still techincally Crean recruits.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
Just because IU was picked to finish 9th or 10th doesn't mean that is what IU fans should settle for.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
Just because IU was picked to finish 9th or 10th doesn't mean that is what IU fans should settle for.

It's what the rationale ones expected. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
Fulce, Otule, and E-Will are still techincally Crean recruits.

LOL.  That's funny in so many ways as people here have made it clear that was NOT THE CASE several years ago. 

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »
LOL.  That's funny in so many ways as people here have made it clear that was NOT THE CASE several years ago.  

Not sure I ever said something to that effect.

Granted Buzz was the lead recruiter, the HC usually has to give the OK to take the commitment. Crean tried to take Eric Williams with him.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:59:51 PM by GOMU1104 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 07:54:25 PM »
Since 2003, I've questioned Crean's judgment.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »
MU came from 5 straight NCAA appearances and is picked to make it this year.  Indiana was picked 9th or 10th in the Big Ten this year.  If MU doesn't make it, it will be MU that fails to meet expectations this year, not IU.

MU and IU are not apples to apples.  "It's Indiana" after all.  I am not sure what MU's expectations have to do with anything, but if you compare both programs, you find Buzz doing a lot better in a more challenging spot.  Indiana is getting worked by bad teams and Buzz is putting a competitive team out there even with the adversity of having no 2007 or 2008 recruiting class.  Buzz and Crean are both dealing with 3 years of recruiting.

The expecations should not be that low for a program of that caliber with a coach who is supposed to make IU fans forget about Bob Knight.  If Crean's teams are rightfully so predicted to finish that low because his teams are not good, then I don't know how someone can spend so much time trying to argue that he is the best thing since sliced bread.  This is year three at an elite program.  He has had more than enough time to at least field an NIT caliber team.  He has gotten some talent in there but cannot coach them into a competitive team. 

It's ok to say he is doing a terrible job down there.  IU basketball should not be this bad and it never was under Davis even. 

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
MU and IU are not apples to apples.  "It's Indiana" after all.  I am not sure what MU's expectations have to do with anything, but if you compare both programs, you find Buzz doing a lot better in a more challenging spot. 

Wait, which was more challenging?  When Crean coached his first game at IU his top returning player was a walk-on that averaged 1.3 pts the year before.  And he was hurt.  Buzz's team was #16 in the preseason AP poll and probably underrated at that.

I'm not defending Crean and I normally ignore these the threads about him, but there is no comparing the two situations.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
Wait, which was more challenging?  When Crean coached his first game at IU his top returning player was a walk-on that averaged 1.3 pts the year before.  And he was hurt.  Buzz's team was #16 in the preseason AP poll and probably underrated at that.

I'm not defending Crean and I normally ignore these the threads about him, but there is no comparing the two situations.

I am not talking about 2008-09.  I am talking about 2010-11.  The Sampson excuses were valid then.  Both MU and IU are excellent programs in the big picture when you consider the hundreds of colleges in the USA.  But when you consider the top programs, IU is the better school.  Crean is in a much better spot and it is pathetic that his team is getting worked by Iowa.  You gotta get your team to the NIT at a school like that in year 3. 

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
I am not talking about 2008-09.  I am talking about 2010-11.  The Sampson excuses were valid then.  Both MU and IU are excellent programs in the big picture when you consider the hundreds of colleges in the USA.  But when you consider the top programs, IU is the better school.  Crean is in a much better spot and it is pathetic that his team is getting worked by Iowa.  You gotta get your team to the NIT at a school like that in year 3. 

I do think IU should be doing better by now, but no elite player would want to go to IU within two years after Sampson left.  Maybe IU is the better program overall, but after Sampson left, I would not have expected IU to have surpassed MU by this point.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »
I do think IU should be doing better by now, but no elite player would want to go to IU within two years after Sampson left.  Maybe IU is the better program overall, but after Sampson left, I would not have expected IU to have surpassed MU by this point.

Outside of Blue, Crean has recruited better ranked players in Creek and Watford if not others in his first real recruiting class.  It would depend what you mean by elite I guess, but he has gotten some players there.  Recruiting a player to come to MU and play for a coach with no experience is no easy task.  Bobby Hurley's comments were pretty revealing during Taylor's de-commitment. 

In April/May 2008, both Buzz and Crean had adversity.  Crean had an uncertain situation and did not bring much in besides stealing a decent recruit from MU in Nick Williams.  Buzz lost players, but salvaged Otule and Fulce, and found a gem in Butler. 

I would say after that, both programs were essentially on equal footing.  It's not 2008 anymore for IU.  IU's ceiling is a national title contender.  I don't expect that out of them quite yet, but what they have now is a complete joke.  It really doesn't matter how easy or hard it is relative to MU.  Crean should be judged based on how one should do at IU. 

I bet Charlie Weiss and Rich Rod wish that their elite programs would have given them this kind of patience.