[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "openly politicking"  (Read 8950 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: "openly politicking"
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 03:17:52 PM »
5K+ folks on the UK rivals site.

Tubby's issues run deep than Saul's roster spot......alot of it has to do with the perception of him being a lousy recruiter, and UF's rise to the top of the SEC.

I dont think they will want TC anyway.......Rick Barnes, Billy Gillispie, Jay Wright, Thad Matta, John Calipari (he'd crawl to Lexington for that job -- to paraphrase Eddie Sutton).  If Tubby goes, i bet the new coach comes from that group of candidates.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 04:02:41 PM »
John Calipari at Kentucky....can you even imagine the success they would have? Look at the future pros Calipari continues to reel in at Memphis...can you imagine what he would do at Kentucky?

Although, he does have far more talent than any other team in C-USA. Maybe he wouldn't fare as well against equal talent in a major conference. He's won big at 2 mid-major programs (UMass and Memphis (post-CUSA breakup).

I doubt he get it anyway. Billy Gillespie is as hot as they come right now.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 04:08:37 PM »
If Kentucky came calling Crean would certainly have to entertain the thought. I could see a 3 or 4 day mulling over period where both schools are in limbo. It wouldn't be a done deal type limbo like that of Roy Williams and Carolina 4 years ago so it truly would be interesting to watch.

On a side note, if Crean does bolt for Kentucky who will be responsible for hiring a new coach? We don't have an Athletic Director. One suggestion: when Crean signs up with UK why not ask them for Tubby's phone number? They already have his payscale pencilled in due to Crean and the guy is a pretty darn good X and O coach (which is the main complaint people have of Crean). If not, next call goes to Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »

I think maybe the best way to look at it is to step back and look at what Crean would be risking by leaving.

If he went to a big(ger) school and didn't do "well" (whatever the definition of "well" is), it might be tough for him to get back into another situation as good as MU.

MU has the following to offer:
National TV deal and exposure
Nike contract
Top facilities
Commitment to basketball success and to academic success
Big $$$ from alumni
Big arena
Access to pro coaches and scouts
Big season ticket holder base

Crean also carries a big stick because he is the poster boy for a lot of the improvements in the past 10 years.

The guy is getting paid a ton and carries a ton of power.

Is there something else that another university could offer that would be a significant improvement over his current situation?

I love Marquette and I doubt Crean is going to leave, but Kentucky has everything you just mentioned and much, much more. There is just no comparison.

You're actually citing TV exposure, facilities, commitment to success, money from alumni (!?!?), access to scouts (what does that mean?) and season ticket holders as it compares to Kentucky? You must be kidding!!

It's like saying the Brewers job is just as good as the New York Yankees.

To use a phrase that might be understandable to those in Lexington, Kentucky is a thoroughbred and Marquette is a quarter horse -- a rising, well-regarded quarter horse, but a quarter horse nonetheless.  This is not an insult. In fact, to me it's what gives Marquette its appeal as a basketball program.

Let me clarify, as I will admit that my previous post was ambigious.

I think Crean is in a unique position at MU. I'm not sure that many of these "dream jobs" (UK, UCLA, UNC, etc.) are significantly better than his at MU.

I understand that some of these dream jobs are so good that they cannot be turned down (ben howland comes to mind), but I'm just saying Crean is in a special position at MU having rebuilt it, and I'm not sure a lot of these jobs are a ton better... they are probably somewhat better, but maybe not enough better to motivate Crean to leave his current position.

With that said, I agree with you. KY is a good job (probably better than MU on paper). I was trying to say that leaving MU is a pretty big risk. Crean's doing very well at MU, and has access to most things he could ever want or need.

Success at these "dream jobs" (UK, UCLA, UNC, Duke, and a couple of others) isn't guaranteed  and most of these coaches are on VERY short leashes.

If Crean left for UK (which for the record I think there is NO CHANCE) and didn’t do well, he would be out after 4 years or less.

Then where does he go? It’s obvious he can coach, and he will get another job.

But, will the job after the “dream job” be as good as he has it here?

At this point the guy is on his way to an almost Coach K like situation. I mean, he hasn’t had the success of Duke, but he has done so much for this program that he has incredible pull, a great reputation and can pretty much get whatever he wants from the university.

If he goes somewhere "better" and only has marginal success, where does that leave him?

Where is Tubby Smith going to land? It's only a matter of time before he is gone from UK. Is he going to land in a cushy coaching job?

A lot of coaches who chase these big time jobs never get back to where they once were.

The main point is, leaving MU isn't without its risks. It could pay off because maybe Crean ends up being the God of UK basketball... but if he doesn't win early and often, he will end up on the coaching scrapheap with the likes of Matt Daugherty, Bill Guthridge, Steve Lavin, and probably soon to be Tubby Smith. All guys who were chasing a "dream job".

MU's a pretty good situation... might not be worth it to risk leaving it.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 04:15:45 PM »
Chris Lowery would not be close to the top of my wish list. He's done a great job winning with a foundation built by Weber and Painter. I'll mull it over and give a list of great coaches who would be ideal choices.

For the record this is a waste of energy. Crean is going nowhere. Last I saw Tubby was still the UK coach and until that job opens I won't worry about it. Even then, as somebody said, they can get basically anybody they want and will get Plan A so unless Crean is at the absolute top of their list, no need to worry.

feedback