[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "openly politicking"  (Read 8948 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
"openly politicking"
« on: March 09, 2007, 09:41:43 AM »
Saw this on some yahoo's blog.

http://www.leoweekly.com/?q=node/4070

Big Blue smirk.
Who knows whether UK fatcats will buy Tubby out of his contract or not? It’s obvious from Mitch Barnhart’s recent statement that it’s more of a possibility than ever. There is loads of conjecture as to who the next coach might be. Texas A&M Aggies’ Billy Gillespie is a name often heard. He may be the next great coach. Here’s a name I heard from a couple of sources last week: Tom Crean. One guy says Crean really is intent on staying at Marquette, but that UK might make him an offer he can’t refuse. The other said Crean is “openly politicking” for the position in Lexington. Doubtful, but I’m just here to throw fuel on the fire.

Very doubtful indeed.   ::)

AlumKCof93

• All American
Re: "openly politicking"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »
If Crean is going to leave MU, it won't be this year.  The team coming back next year is too good and he worked too hard to put this team together to walk away for any other program, particularly when he's had other chances to do so. 
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
If Crean is going to leave MU, it won't be this year.  The team coming back next year is too good and he worked too hard to put this team together to walk away for any other program, particularly when he's had other chances to do so. 

agreed. and maybe i am naive, but i dont see TC at Kentucky.......the fan base is impossible to please.  u can never exceed expectations there.

if Tubby goes,  i bet Jay Wright gets the job

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
Wright has been mentioned for the 76ers job (if/when it opens up), and apparently wants it from what I heard during the Georgetown/Villanova game a few weeks back.

I would bet Gillespie gets that job.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 11:30:33 AM »
What about Travis Ford. Ex-player who is doing a great job right now. Would be a big jump, but it could work out.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 11:32:51 AM »
Dickie V (I think it was him, but could be wrong) went on a rant the other day that if Kentucky ever got rid of Tubby Smith, and it was on bad terms, it would set the program back at least 10 years.

All of the HS coaches and AAU coaches that have had good realationships with UK would become bitter towards the University, and thus, stop steering their kids in that direction.

He actually made a good point about it...

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »
Dickie V (I think it was him, but could be wrong) went on a rant the other day that if Kentucky ever got rid of Tubby Smith, and it was on bad terms, it would set the program back at least 10 years.

Then again, in 1997 Kentucky was in the National Title Game, so perhaps it wouldn't be that bad for them...
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »
I don't know anything about Crean's intentions, but I would think the Kentucky job would be pretty hard to pass up. It's a once in a lifetime job.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 11:50:49 AM »
It may be a dream job, but unless you can bring UK three FFs and a NC every 10 years, you're going to have acid reflux like no one's business, and then you'll be run out of town.

So how exactly that's a dream job for a guy who already is highly paid and respected, in one of the top leagues in the US, one whose college has pledged him the sky, I know not.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 11:56:53 AM »
It was actually Rick Pitino (not Vitale) that made those comments the other day about if Tubby got fired it would set the program back 10 years. Considering the source, it was a pretty interesting comment.

tonyreeder

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 12:27:01 PM »
I'm sorry but the talk of not leaving because of next year's team is ludicrous.    People make career decisions based on long term happiness and if Tubby goes- this job won't be open after next year. This is arguably the most storied program in college basketball history-with it brings intense scutiny and pressure but also attention and potential national championships.   Sorry but the name Kentucky opens a heckuva lot more recruiting doors than Marquette.   There are pros and cons and I'm not saying one situation is better than the other-it all depends on what the individual wants for their career.  Next year's team has little to do with it.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 12:55:10 PM »
If Kentucky is willing to send a Marquette a cashier's check for approximately $11 million (the remainder of TC's contract), then ante up another $2 million or so per year to TC, then I guess it could happen.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 12:56:23 PM »
If Kentucky is willing to send a Marquette a cashier's check for approximately $11 million (the remainder of TC's contract), then ante up another $2 million or so per year to TC, then I guess it could happen.

good point....TC can go to Kentucky for the same money, more aggravation, more opportunity, more visibility and far less security.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 01:04:16 PM »
I don't even know about the "more visibility" part. Right now he's a in a league that has teams in New York, Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, Philadelphia, Louisville, Hartford (part-time), Milwaukee, Providence, Tampa, etc. Compare that with the SEC towns and tell me how any advertising executive could sell you on the "visibility." The Big East is head and shoulders above any league in the country in terms of marketability.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 01:14:18 PM »
I don't know why Kentucky would have to pay Marquette if Crean left? It usually works the other way. MU would buy Crean out if they fired him. If Crean wants to walk away from his deal, i'm sure he can. He would have been crazy not to set up his contract that way. Possibly there is a buyout clause, but I'm sure it's a much more reasonable number than the total dollar amount of the remainder of his contract.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 01:26:03 PM by MilTown »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 01:29:44 PM »
I really don't understand this thread at all.  I've read here so many times that Crean can't coach, Crean can't recruit big men, Crean can't do this and that....why would UK even be interested.

::)

On a sidenote, I sat next to some Pitt and Syracuse fans last night.  Both had some very high praise about Crean.  Then afterward at the bar, WVU fans were very praiseworthy of him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 01:32:34 PM »
I don't know why Kentucky would have to pay Marquette if Crean left? It usually works the other way. MU would buy Crean out if they fired him. If Crean wants to walk away from his deal, i'm sure he can. He would have been crazy not to set up his contract that way. Possibly there is a buyout clause, but I'm sure it's a much more reasonable number than the total dollar amount of the remainder of his contract.

Agreed. I'd guess Crean's contract almost assuredly contains a buyout clause, but I doubt it's anywhere near the full value of his contract. If it is, bully for Marquette to get him to agree to those kinds of terms. More likely, it's something well within the range of what Kentucky would be willing to shell out if they wanted Crean badly enough.
That said, I'd be surprised if a) Kentucky wants to fire Tubby and b) Crean is at the top of their depth chart.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 01:34:51 PM by Pakuni »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 01:40:07 PM »
I really don't understand this thread at all.  I've read here so many times that Crean can't coach, Crean can't recruit big men, Crean can't do this and that....why would UK even be interested.

what I can't understand is that, after reading all those same posts about crean not being able to coach or recruit, why so many are upset or worried about the possibility he might leave..  ::)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 01:47:50 PM »
It was actually Rick Pitino (not Vitale) that made those comments the other day about if Tubby got fired it would set the program back 10 years. Considering the source, it was a pretty interesting comment.

Thank you for claifying that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 02:16:15 PM »

I think maybe the best way to look at it is to step back and look at what Crean would be risking by leaving.

If he went to a big(ger) school and didn't do "well" (whatever the definition of "well" is), it might be tough for him to get back into another situation as good as MU.

MU has the following to offer:
National TV deal and exposure
Nike contract
Top facilities
Commitment to basketball success and to academic success
Big $$$ from alumni
Big arena
Access to pro coaches and scouts
Big season ticket holder base

Crean also carries a big stick because he is the poster boy for a lot of the improvements in the past 10 years.

The guy is getting paid a ton and carries a ton of power.

Is there something else that another university could offer that would be a significant improvement over his current situation?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 02:22:57 PM »
not to mention no football program calling the shots, vetoing his vote, throwing its weight around.  He basically is the primary figurehead of Marquette sports as a result (at least men's sports).
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 02:26:48 PM »
Crean is out of his mind if he leaves..hate to say it but I do not know if he would be the right fit there either. Sure recruiting opens up but I do not know if he could lead that team deep into the tourney every year like their fanbase/acclaim accounts for. Not that he wouldn't be capable of running a solid program. I just think Marquette basketball program is on the rise particularly after our transfer to the Big East and Crean is paid to well to think about going elsewhere. If he were too leave (not that I really even consider it happening) I think it would trully be disappointing as a fan seeing him chase the big bucks. I gain more and more respect for Crean watching us over the past few years..I think he makes some mistakes, but he is young and gaining experience. I think he handles P.R. work wonderfully though.
Tradition Never Graduates..

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »

I think maybe the best way to look at it is to step back and look at what Crean would be risking by leaving.

If he went to a big(ger) school and didn't do "well" (whatever the definition of "well" is), it might be tough for him to get back into another situation as good as MU.

Nike contract
Top facilities
Big $$$ from alumni
Big arena

Crean also carries a big stick because he is the poster boy for a lot of the improvements in the past 10 years.

Is there something else that another university could offer that would be a significant improvement over his current situation?

I love Marquette and I doubt Crean is going to leave, but Kentucky has everything you just mentioned and much, much more. There is just no comparison.

You're actually citing TV exposure, facilities, commitment to success, money from alumni (!?!?), access to scouts (what does that mean?) and season ticket holders as it compares to Kentucky? You must be kidding!!

It's like saying the Brewers job is just as good as the New York Yankees.

To use a phrase that might be understandable to those in Lexington, Kentucky is a thoroughbred and Marquette is a quarter horse -- a rising, well-regarded quarter horse, but a quarter horse nonetheless.  This is not an insult. In fact, to me it's what gives Marquette its appeal as a basketball program.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 02:45:06 PM »
i dont think its a question of which job is more presitigous......there's no arguing that point.  I think the point is more along the lines of - - would u want to coach and live in that fishbowl, with that kind of scrutiny and that kind of pressure.  Its a lifestyle consideration as much as anything.

Remember, Tubby has never lost a first round NCAA tourney game. He's won a title, been to the elite 8 a few times, a handful of sweet 16s......lost one of the elite 8s in overtime.  He's won several conference (5) and conference tourney (5)  titles.  He's won 77% of his games at UK

And he's being run outta town.

That is one tough job.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:52:20 PM by NYWarrior »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 03:12:29 PM »
i dont think its a question of which job is more presitigous......there's no arguing that point.  I think the point is more along the lines of - - would u want to coach and live in that fishbowl, with that kind of scrutiny and that kind of pressure.  Its a lifestyle consideration as much as anything.

Remember, Tubby has never lost a first round NCAA tourney game. He's won a title, been to the elite 8 a few times, a handful of sweet 16s......lost one of the elite 8s in overtime.  He's won several conference (5) and conference tourney (5)  titles.  He's won 77% of his games at UK

And he's being run outta town.

That is one tough job.

No doubt it's a tough job...very tough. But Tubby brought a lot of the ire on himself by starting his son a few years ago. I don't blame him for favoring his son, but that kid did not belong in Kentucky's starting five. Up to that point, Tubby owned the place.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 03:17:52 PM »
5K+ folks on the UK rivals site.

Tubby's issues run deep than Saul's roster spot......alot of it has to do with the perception of him being a lousy recruiter, and UF's rise to the top of the SEC.

I dont think they will want TC anyway.......Rick Barnes, Billy Gillispie, Jay Wright, Thad Matta, John Calipari (he'd crawl to Lexington for that job -- to paraphrase Eddie Sutton).  If Tubby goes, i bet the new coach comes from that group of candidates.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 04:02:41 PM »
John Calipari at Kentucky....can you even imagine the success they would have? Look at the future pros Calipari continues to reel in at Memphis...can you imagine what he would do at Kentucky?

Although, he does have far more talent than any other team in C-USA. Maybe he wouldn't fare as well against equal talent in a major conference. He's won big at 2 mid-major programs (UMass and Memphis (post-CUSA breakup).

I doubt he get it anyway. Billy Gillespie is as hot as they come right now.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 04:08:37 PM »
If Kentucky came calling Crean would certainly have to entertain the thought. I could see a 3 or 4 day mulling over period where both schools are in limbo. It wouldn't be a done deal type limbo like that of Roy Williams and Carolina 4 years ago so it truly would be interesting to watch.

On a side note, if Crean does bolt for Kentucky who will be responsible for hiring a new coach? We don't have an Athletic Director. One suggestion: when Crean signs up with UK why not ask them for Tubby's phone number? They already have his payscale pencilled in due to Crean and the guy is a pretty darn good X and O coach (which is the main complaint people have of Crean). If not, next call goes to Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »

Nike contract
Top facilities
Big $$$ from alumni
Big arena

I love Marquette and I doubt Crean is going to leave, but Kentucky has everything you just mentioned and much, much more. There is just no comparison.

You're actually citing TV exposure, facilities, commitment to success, money from alumni (!?!?), access to scouts (what does that mean?) and season ticket holders as it compares to Kentucky? You must be kidding!!

It's like saying the Brewers job is just as good as the New York Yankees.

To use a phrase that might be understandable to those in Lexington, Kentucky is a thoroughbred and Marquette is a quarter horse -- a rising, well-regarded quarter horse, but a quarter horse nonetheless.  This is not an insult. In fact, to me it's what gives Marquette its appeal as a basketball program.

Let me clarify, as I will admit that my previous post was ambigious.

I think Crean is in a unique position at MU. I'm not sure that many of these "dream jobs" (UK, UCLA, UNC, etc.) are significantly better than his at MU.

I understand that some of these dream jobs are so good that they cannot be turned down (ben howland comes to mind), but I'm just saying Crean is in a special position at MU having rebuilt it, and I'm not sure a lot of these jobs are a ton better... they are probably somewhat better, but maybe not enough better to motivate Crean to leave his current position.

With that said, I agree with you. KY is a good job (probably better than MU on paper). I was trying to say that leaving MU is a pretty big risk. Crean's doing very well at MU, and has access to most things he could ever want or need.

Success at these "dream jobs" (UK, UCLA, UNC, Duke, and a couple of others) isn't guaranteed  and most of these coaches are on VERY short leashes.

If Crean left for UK (which for the record I think there is NO CHANCE) and didn’t do well, he would be out after 4 years or less.

Then where does he go? It’s obvious he can coach, and he will get another job.

But, will the job after the “dream job” be as good as he has it here?

At this point the guy is on his way to an almost Coach K like situation. I mean, he hasn’t had the success of Duke, but he has done so much for this program that he has incredible pull, a great reputation and can pretty much get whatever he wants from the university.

If he goes somewhere "better" and only has marginal success, where does that leave him?

Where is Tubby Smith going to land? It's only a matter of time before he is gone from UK. Is he going to land in a cushy coaching job?

A lot of coaches who chase these big time jobs never get back to where they once were.

The main point is, leaving MU isn't without its risks. It could pay off because maybe Crean ends up being the God of UK basketball... but if he doesn't win early and often, he will end up on the coaching scrapheap with the likes of Matt Daugherty, Bill Guthridge, Steve Lavin, and probably soon to be Tubby Smith. All guys who were chasing a "dream job".

MU's a pretty good situation... might not be worth it to risk leaving it.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 04:15:45 PM »
Chris Lowery would not be close to the top of my wish list. He's done a great job winning with a foundation built by Weber and Painter. I'll mull it over and give a list of great coaches who would be ideal choices.

For the record this is a waste of energy. Crean is going nowhere. Last I saw Tubby was still the UK coach and until that job opens I won't worry about it. Even then, as somebody said, they can get basically anybody they want and will get Plan A so unless Crean is at the absolute top of their list, no need to worry.

feedback