[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jay Bilas made a great point tonight  (Read 8965 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Jay Bilas made a great point tonight
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »
In the 2nd half, Bilas said that he doesn't remember seeing anybody work harder posting up than Otule.  Bilas seemed borderline frustrated that MU didn't work the ball down low to the big fella more often for high percentage shots.  The one play in particular, was when DJO forced a drive (and subsequent turnover), after Otule had incredible positioning down low.

Not only is it nice to reward Otule for his efforts on the blocks, but think what a few more passes to the post could do to free up our three point shooting (which has suddenly become an asset).

A lot of Scoopers have been critical of Otule at times this year (myself included), but his effort and hustle have been unwavering.  Great game Chris.  If we are going to make any noise in the Big East, we're going to need ya.

Sidenote...I'm convinced Rafferty & Bilas could make a 5th grade girls game interesting.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
Re: Jay Bilas made a great point tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »
when is the last time a DJO drive actually ended with a dish off?

answer:  maybe never

mu ricer22

• Scholarship Player
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 09:00:58 PM »
Sidenote...I'm convinced Rafferty & Bilas could make a 5th grade girls game interesting.

I can see that becoming an ESPN commercial, Rafferty & Bilas announcing a 5th grade girls game. I heard Rafferty said " Get on Buycks its peddling time".

Otule works so hard down on the blocks so give him the ball and let him score or kick it back out for a three (which usually happened)
GTST

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »
Bilas is, by far, the best in the business.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »

DJO does cause Jerel flashbacks when he gets the ball and starts heading to the hoop.    For better or for worse. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:16:34 PM »

Actually I went to my fifth grade daughters game earlier this afternoon and they won 6 to 2.  I'm not sure Raf and Bilas are this good, not sure anyone is.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »
In the Pitt game, CO got a dunk off a DJO drive and Dish.  DJO lead us in Assists for the PITT game with 5. DW and Jr had 3ea.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
Otule really worked hard posting up...he defended pretty well too...

But man, he cannot rebound.  Our tallest guy, who is rarely away from the basket, and he had 3 rebs in 18 minutes.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »

No doubt about it. And Raftery is hilarious. "Get the lingerie off the deck!!"

DavantesInferno

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »
Saw Bilas and Rafferty at Mo's lady night. Rafferty was hammered. It was quite entertaining to listen to what they had to say. They were very positive about Marquette and had a lot of nice things to say about the team.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20:09 PM »
Many NBA announcers are better than Bilas.  Hubie Brown is the best in the business.  He is the anti-Matt Millen.

In college, George Thompson was 100x's better and still is when he decides to come out of hiding.  I would take Mac or the silky smooth styings of Tony Smith over Jay Bilas.  Jay Bilas is a smart guy, but he's essentially an ESPN pimp. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
I was at the game too and I thought that Chris played a very solid game - and he does work so hard for position, and Bilas is right - we don't feed him enough.  But in the earlier games, when Gardner was in the ball went into him regularly.  I think we need to feed Chris more.

Great game tonight - wow!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 11:18:37 PM »

Holy Crap....mark this day down in history where Robbie and I agree on something.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
Many NBA announcers are better than Bilas.  Hubie Brown is the best in the business.  He is the anti-Matt Millen.

In college, George Thompson was 100x's better and still is when he decides to come out of hiding.  I would take Mac or the silky smooth styings of Tony Smith over Jay Bilas.  Jay Bilas is a smart guy, but he's essentially an ESPN pimp

Isn't being the least pimpy of the ESPN pimps worth something these days?  Give the guy some credit... he knows college ball and isn't some schmuck entertainer posing as a basketball guru (paging Dick Vitale).  Not quite the analyst that BK is (nobody is), but Bilas is definitely in the same tier.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »
Holy Crap....mark this day down in history where Robbie and I agree on something.

Except, as mentioned, it happened in the Pitt game just 2 days ago. Great drive by DJO, flipped a little pass to Otule who finished.

It doesn't happen often, admittedly, but the last time a DJO drive ended in a dish was the last game  :-\
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »
Except, as mentioned, it happened in the Pitt game just 2 days ago. Great drive by DJO, flipped a little pass to Otule who finished.

It doesn't happen often, admittedly, but the last time a DJO drive ended in a dish was the last game  :-\

He said maybe never, I took that to mean on very rare occasions.  I saw DJO do it once before earlier this season and almost fell out of my chair in astonishment.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »

C'mon man! He still had 5 assists yesterday.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 08:45:24 AM »
Otule really worked hard posting up...he defended pretty well too...

But man, he cannot rebound.  Our tallest guy, who is rarely away from the basket, and he had 3 rebs in 18 minutes.

I can think of several rebounds by Jimmy and Jae that were due to Chris clearing out the lane.  He doesn't always have to get the rebound to help our rebounding.  sometimes he is clearing out their top rebounder who would easily push our smaller guys aside.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:55:25 AM by PBRme »
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
In college, George Thompson was 100x's better and still is when he decides to come out of hiding.

No way....imho

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »
Not one "ONIONS!" though out of Rafferty last night....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 08:54:03 AM »
While Bilas made a great point last night, I didn't like that comment at all as it perpetuates the reason why MU can't get big people to come here.  If I'm a C/PF high school star who finished watching that game, I'm not thinking to myself, "Man, that team has everything but a great big man.  If they just had a good big guy they could go far.  I could be the missing piece, gets lots of playing time for a winning team..."  Instead, I'm thinking, "That big guy is busting his butt and those freaking guards never look to get him the ball.  I don't want to go there and set screens for four years."
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 10:27:32 AM »
While Bilas made a great point last night, I didn't like that comment at all as it perpetuates the reason why MU can't get big people to come here.  If I'm a C/PF high school star who finished watching that game, I'm not thinking to myself, "Man, that team has everything but a great big man.  If they just had a good big guy they could go far.  I could be the missing piece, gets lots of playing time for a winning team..."  Instead, I'm thinking, "That big guy is busting his butt and those freaking guards never look to get him the ball.  I don't want to go there and set screens for four years."

Disagree totally with your comment.  In fact Mu did get the ball to Otule.  In fact other posters have referenced and i think anyone watching would readily agree that the ball goes into the post much more quickly when DG is in there.  As Chris becomes more and more effective the ball will go in more and more.

I would also guess that if it was Van, DB, or Junior on that same play the ball probably ends up in Otules hands. 

The replay if nothing else highlighted that often times DJO become a whirling dervish on his drives and the result is either a shot or a TO yet rarely a dish off. 

Compare the percentage of drives of Junior DB and VAn that result in draw and dishes and then compare the percentage of Djo's that do. 

DJO is a good offensive player, his greatest weakness offensively right now is probably his tunnel vision when driving. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »
DJO is a good offensive player, his greatest weakness offensively right now is probably his tunnel vision when driving. 

And Otule's greatest weakness is single-vision.  But both appear to be working through their weaknesses and are more than compensating for it elsewhere on the court.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »
Not one "ONIONS!" though out of Rafferty last night....

I think he saves those for a dogfight that ends with a marked dagger.  No doubt, he's the most original color guy in college hoops.  I obviously stole one of his catch-phrases for my user name.
No Finish Line

leever

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »
The best thing about Bilas is that he is NOT Dickie V!!!!!!

feedback