'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jay Bilas made a great point tonight  (Read 8966 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Jay Bilas made a great point tonight
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 11:36:52 AM »
I agree with Bilas that Otule worked hard for position underneath and too often was not passed to.  Marquette is a much better team with Otule playing aggressively on the post.  He showed great moves last night and made some timely baskets. 

Danny Noonan

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »
Many NBA announcers are better than Bilas.  Hubie Brown is the best in the business.  He is the anti-Matt Millen.

In college, George Thompson was 100x's better and still is when he decides to come out of hiding.  I would take Mac or the silky smooth styings of Tony Smith over Jay Bilas.  Jay Bilas is a smart guy, but he's essentially an ESPN pimp. 

Sorry, I have to agree with GO MU and MUB-ball as Bilas is the best. My favorite team is Bilas-Rafferty-McDonough as they are knowledgeable, analytical and entertaining.

Other commentators or announcers I like: Majerus when was in the booth, Knight, Franschilla, Dykes, and Kellogg are also good. Steve Lavin was decent but was better in the half time analysis than doing the game along with Gotlieb and Greg Anthony.

Len Elmore is brutal and I don't care too much for Digger or Hubert Brown. When it comes tourney time, it’s never good when Seth Davis picks MU as he seems to be a Mush.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »
I think he saves those for a dogfight that ends with a marked dagger.  No doubt, he's the most original color guy in college hoops.  I obviously stole one of his catch-phrases for my user name.

I still laugh at his quote from this great moment in MU history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlymqXcruCU

"Send it in medium-sized fella!!!"

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »

Loved that
No Finish Line

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »
Disagree totally with your comment.  In fact Mu did get the ball to Otule.  In fact other posters have referenced and i think anyone watching would readily agree that the ball goes into the post much more quickly when DG is in there.  As Chris becomes more and more effective the ball will go in more and more.

I would also guess that if it was Van, DB, or Junior on that same play the ball probably ends up in Otules hands. 

The replay if nothing else highlighted that often times DJO become a whirling dervish on his drives and the result is either a shot or a TO yet rarely a dish off. 

Compare the percentage of drives of Junior DB and VAn that result in draw and dishes and then compare the percentage of Djo's that do. 

DJO is a good offensive player, his greatest weakness offensively right now is probably his tunnel vision when driving. 

My point was that the comment would drive a potential interior recruit to think that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 09:25:48 PM »
when is the last time a DJO drive actually ended with a dish off?

answer:  maybe never
Florida ST.  He threw it over Buyckes head and we failed to get a potential game winning shot off.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »
I am assuming that Otule is going to fight hard for position no matter which side of the lane he is on. However, we have to remember he is blind in one eye. I do not know which one, but I am sure his teammates do. Not only does Otule have to be open but the player with the ball has to be in the correct position to pass the ball to him. It cannot be a bounce pass and it cannot be a quick short pass. Cadougan threw him a perfect pass. A slow ead high pass which he caught, turned and scored. It was a perfect play. His failure to rebound has to do with his eyesite as the ball will often come quickly off the rim and he just cannot judge it quickly enough to react.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 09:59:45 PM »
Florida ST.  He threw it over Buyckes head and we failed to get a potential game winning shot off.

I recall that Buycks was the one who threw the ball away, not DJO.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 12:06:29 AM »

Nice Find!  Raft and Bilas are hands down the best!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 09:06:28 AM »
when is the last time a DJO drive actually ended with a dish off?

answer:  maybe never
Wasn't that DJO who had the pass to Chris for the dunk at Vandy?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 09:09:32 AM »
There is no doubt that DJO passes the ball. However, if it is a fast break he will not give up the ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 09:27:31 AM »
There is no doubt that DJO passes the ball. However, if it is a fast break he will not give up the ball.
That is usually OK as he most often outruns the defender to the hoop and either jams, which the fans love, and gets the team jacked, or he is fouled.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.