Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette up 2, 7 seconds to go, opponent has the ball.....  (Read 2823 times)

tower912

• All American
Marquette up 2, 7 seconds to go, opponent has the ball.....
« on: December 29, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »
Which 5 do you want on the floor playing defense?    Blue, Butler, Buycks....Cadougan?   DJO?   Otule for shotblocking?   Let the matchups dictate?   I fall in the 'matchups' camp.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
Re: Marquette up 2, 7 seconds to go, opponent has the ball.....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:38:11 AM »
Is the ball at half court? I want some rebounders in to avoid a second chance tip in.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 11:39:28 AM »
Blue, DJO, Jimmy, Crowder, Fulce

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »
Have we just missed the front end of a 1-1?
No Finish Line

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »
Fulce is a terrific rebounder but he really struggles to defend opposing centers.  Matchups dictate all but probably something along the lines of:
Blue, DJO/Buycks, Butler, Crowder, Otule

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:51:11 AM »
I'd put in Frozena, Butler, Gardner & E Will.  When the ref told me I was one short, I'd tell him my team was on the floor.  At the last second, I'd call timeout, and reassemble the lineup based upon what the other team just put out there.

Not only do I see their lineup, I don't tip my hand and as an added bonus, I get to screw with the other coach just a little bit.  Three birds, one stone... it doesn't matter what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, in my book, I'd be a winner.

[This is why I'd make for a painfully entertaining yet horrible basketball coach.]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 12:45:05 PM »
I'd put in Frozena, Butler, Gardner & E Will.  When the ref told me I was one short, I'd tell him my team was on the floor.  At the last second, I'd call timeout, and reassemble the lineup based upon what the other team just put out there.

Not only do I see their lineup, I don't tip my hand and as an added bonus, I get to screw with the other coach just a little bit.  Three birds, one stone... it doesn't matter what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, in my book, I'd be a winner.

[This is why I'd make for a painfully entertaining yet horrible basketball coach.]

;D

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »
DJO, JFB, Vander, Jae and Otule.

Now, if the Warriors are up 3, 7 seconds to go, opponent has the ball......do you foul (hopefully in the backcourt so there's no possibility of it being ruled a shooting foul) and force Vandy to shoot 2 free throws or let them come down and hope they miss the 3?

Someone had to start that debate.....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 04:00:55 PM »

Now, if the Warriors are up 3, 7 seconds to go, opponent has the ball......do you foul (hopefully in the backcourt so there's no possibility of it being ruled a shooting foul) and force Vandy to shoot 2 free throws or let them come down and hope they miss the 3?

What I coach is for them to hound the team in the backcourt, hoping for them to force an errant pass, but if they get across halfcourt, you foul instantly. That way you eat up a few seconds and put them on the line for 2 at best. Then make sure Fulce and Butler are up front for the rebound on the free throws. I trust their hands and instincts more than anyone else when it comes to pulling down a clutch board.

But in terms of the original question...

Otule, Butler, Fulce, Blue, DJO
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 04:12:08 PM »

With the way MU's rebounding has been, it's probably safest to play straight up.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »
Foul.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 07:09:29 PM »
Dwight Shrute-esque hijack...

We would never be up by 2 with 7 seconds left.  We're always up 1.  And it doesn't matter who is in the game, we always give up a basket with .7 seconds or less to play.  And we never have the miracle shot to win the game after that.  The only question is which personnel can we put in to actually get a shot off in the .7 seconds since it's slightly less frustrating to throw something up than to not get a shot off that misses.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »
Dwight Shrute-esque hijack...

We would never be up by 2 with 7 seconds left.  We're always up 1.  And it doesn't matter who is in the game, we always give up a basket with .7 seconds or less to play.  And we never have the miracle shot to win the game after that.  The only question is which personnel can we put in to actually get a shot off in the .7 seconds since it's slightly less frustrating to throw something up than to not get a shot off that misses.

Quite a prophetic thread! But tonight we gave up the winning basketball with 4 seconds to go. And still didn't get a shot off after a timeout and with getting the ball in easily. Argh.