'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It's True - 40% of Freshman Transfer  (Read 13650 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: It's True - 40% of Freshman Transfer
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »
The move to D3 came several years later

what, 2 years?  I think it had to have been in the works for awhile too.  The AD just didn't wake up one day and say, "We're going D3!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
what, 2 years?  I think it had to have been in the works for awhile too.  The AD just didn't wake up one day and say, "We're going D3!"

Well, actually it was all predicated on the student vote and usage of student fees to keep them going.  If that vote passed, which was held AFTER Buzz left, then they would still be DI.  The vote didn't pass and that is when the dominoes fell.

http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2009/05/uno_students_vote_against_athl.html

http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2009/05/uno_students_defeat_fee_hike_f.html

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:39:31 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
I don't really care about an extra transfer or two so long as the team wins, kids who stay graduate at a good clip, and the kids who stay don't get in trouble off the court and thus embarrass the university.

College coaches today be it basketball or football have to recruit 18 year old coddled kids that often will feel they are already better as freshman than they really are and often they have family/friends in their ear who feel the same. Then when they don't get the minutes they feel they are entitled to, they want to transfer.

If the play on the court suffers because of excessive transfers, then i'll be concerned. If kids are brought in that don't take their academics seriously and/or get in trouble off the court, then Buzz better quickly reevaluate who he's bringing in.

Until that stuff happens, why should we as fans get all worked up because we've had one or two more transfers than the norm? College coaches don't get judged on their transfer rates, they get judged first on how many games he wins and then by how the kids perform in class and behave off the court.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 10:37:56 AM »
Scholarships and coaching time are a finite resource.  Signing a recruit is a huge investment in time and energy, both in recruiting effort, and coaching effort after that.  When that recruit transfers, your investment gets zeroed out. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »
Scholarships and coaching time are a finite resource.  Signing a recruit is a huge investment in time and energy, both in recruiting effort, and coaching effort after that.  When that recruit transfers, your investment gets zeroed out. 

This is true, and if you look at the investment into Reggie Smith right now the value is zero. However, if you view his scholarship in terms of 4 years it is now open and whoever replaces him will put value back into that investment. If a non contributor replaces Reggie the investment will remain worthless or nearly so, but if a star takes his place the investment will turn out to be far greater in value than Reggie might have ever been.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »
I don't really care about an extra transfer or two so long as the team wins, kids who stay graduate at a good clip, and the kids who stay don't get in trouble off the court and thus embarrass the university.

If the play on the court suffers because of excessive transfers, then i'll be concerned. If kids are brought in that don't take their academics seriously and/or get in trouble off the court, then Buzz better quickly reevaluate who he's bringing in.

Until that stuff happens, why should we as fans get all worked up because we've had one or two more transfers than the norm? College coaches don't get judged on their transfer rates, they get judged first on how many games he wins and then by how the kids perform in class and behave off the court.

Agree 100%

As I stated on a leadership thread...winning cures all. The best player to transfer from MU in the past decade was Odartey Blankson. MU went to the Final Four the year after he left so he was basically forgotten. A couple years later, fans were clamoring for the likes of Brandon Bell and Karon Bradley because MU lacked PG depth.

If you win, transfers are forgiven. If you struggle, transfers are ruining the program.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2010, 11:35:15 AM »
Agree 100%

As I stated on a leadership thread...winning cures all. The best player to transfer from MU in the past decade was Odartey Blankson. MU went to the Final Four the year after he left so he was basically forgotten. A couple years later, fans were clamoring for the likes of Brandon Bell and Karon Bradley because MU lacked PG depth.

If you win, transfers are forgiven. If you struggle, transfers are ruining the program.

Amen...and also..if you win..you have good leadership..if you lose..you have bad coaching and no leadership.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2010, 11:39:06 AM »
Amen...and also..if you win..you have good leadership..if you lose..you have bad coaching and no leadership.

And if you're all of the above in any given season, you're Marquette.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
Telep just posted an article about this. Its insider so I cant post it but if someone wants to here is the link.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/blog?name=telep_dave&id=6080368&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2fblog%3fname%3dtelep_dave%26id%3d6080368

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2011, 04:19:06 PM »
Breaking down college transfers to the NBA
February, 1, 2011
FEB 1
3:05
PM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Dave Telep, ESPN Recruiting
Shooting 3s ...
A few weeks ago, we touched on the subject of transfers. The deal here is that National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) reported this fall that 40 percent of all Division I signees turn into transfers by the end of their sophomore year. Yikes, that's a high number. We decided to look into transfers and what happens to them as NBA players.

1. Only five percent of NBA players transferred

There are 434 players that have seen minutes in NBA games this season. Out of that entire pool, only 22 saw time at more than one Division I program. Basically, of all the players in the NBA, only five percent of them transferred colleges. There are 87 international players and 27 kids who came straight out of high school to the NBA (prior to 2006 when the rule was set put in place).

A reasonable conclusion could be drawn that transfering colleges lessens your chance of playing in the NBA. One certainly doesn't improve his chances when he skips around programs, that much we are certain of.

2. What kind of transfer works?

When you decide to switch colleges, you either transfer to a higher-level school, a lower-level one or make a lateral move. Maurice Evans (Wichita State to Texas), Joey Graham/Stephen Graham (Central Florida to Oklahoma State) and Jason Williams transferred up and found success. Derrick Carcter (Louisville to UTEP), Jordan Crawford (Indiana to Xavier), Gary Forbes (Virginia to UMass), Dominic McGuire (Cal to Fresno) and Ime Udoka (South Florida to Portland State) took a theoretical step down in competition.

The bulk of transfers who made it to the NBA made lateral moves in college in terms of conference affiliation. The most recent example is Wesley Johnson who moved up from Iowa State to Syracuse but stayed in a BCS league. Danny Granger (Bradley to New Mexico) is one of the better pros to survive the transfer. Raja Bell's path took him from Boston U. to Florida International.

3. NBA players spend 2.39 years in college

Taking everything into account, the profile of the average NBA player indicates that he spends 2.39 years in college. The advent of the one-year wonder will continue to chip away at the number and the new collective bargaining agreement will surely impact it as well. If there's an age limit, that number will increase. Should kids be able to go prep to pros, the number will nose dive.

Out of the 434 players in the NBA, 347 of them spent time on a Division I campus. Mid- and low-major programs contributed 75 players to the NBA, meaning those players account for 21 percent of the former college players in the NBA. Here's the recruiting nugget. Since one in five of former college players went to a non BCS level team, that's a nice pitch for a mid-major school. However, in order to make it the NBA from a mid-major school, you'll need to spend 3.39 years in college, about one more season than it would take from a bigger school. The theory here is development and maturity are the keys to coming out of a mid-major and playing in the NBA.

Special thanks to Drew Cannon, a sophomore at Duke and the most reliable and intelligent intern anyone could ever ask for. Once Drew graduates, he will need a job so please, remember the name.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
here comes the uproar
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

feedback