Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU  (Read 30159 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
Just from the article alone, I think it is a full year thing with the scholarship.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »
Who wants to put money that Reggie ends up at some garbage C-USA school?

These kids forget that they are getting a legitimate education at MU.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Reggie Smith to Transfer?
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2010, 11:14:19 AM »
Here we go again. Everybody defending "In Buzz we trust". No one challenging his wierd rotations/substitutions etc.. Pretty predictable.

Certainly no more predictable than where you come down.

Clarence

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »
I liked Reggie as a player and hate to see him go, but going to college is a difficult adjustment for any kid, especially when you have to work as hard as Buzz makes these kids work.  Throw in the fact that he is pretty sick and just went home to his family and friends for 3 days, you have a perfect storm for wanting to transfer.  I loved going to Marquette as much as anyone, but I had an application to another college on my desk during the first semester of my freshman year as well.   Luckily for me, my old man told me that I made a commitment and I had to give it at least a year.  By the time 2nd semester ended I had made some good friends, had some great times and even got laid a few times.  Sometimes we need to remind ourselves that we're talking about teenage kids here.  

The more disturbing issue here to me is the effect this trasfer has on Buzz' relationship with Mike Irvin and the Mc Irvin Fire AAU team.  If you remember during Mike Shaw's recruiting, Mike Irvin was a great advocate for MU and Buzz mostly because he was impressed by how they dealt with Reggie.  I hope that this doesn't poison the well, because we NEED to continue to recruit the Southside of Chicago.    

Oh, and yes there were some real porkers in that group of unlucky coeds. ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »
I think a lot of freshmen do not realize the amount of work involved in playing at a major program. UW is able to avoid a lot of transfers, because they are good at using a redshirt year for freshmen. You cannot be unhappy with playing time, if you are redshirting. Also once you redshirt you are locked into your school, because you will lose a year of eligibility. I think redshirting results in a lot of stability in Bo Ryan's program, which is a key component to his success.

They are a rock solid program in every facet.  Pains me to say.  I think they also do an exceptional job of telling it like it is upfront so there are no surprises.  The athletes and their families get it from day one and they know what to expect the next 4 to 5 years.  Stability.  Next one in, do your job, etc.   I hate their brand of basketball, but it works and there's a reason why they have been the best program in the state for over a decade, I don't care what measuring stick one uses...it's undeniable. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »
Good riddance.  He didn't deserve the playing time he was getting, little as that was.  Perhaps a mid-major can help him out in that regard, unless he wants to work for a couple years to be ready to contribute at another competitive high major program.  Cadougan should be able to ease into the starting role for next year, Wilson comes in next year, and unless he learned to take care of the ball I don't think Smith could legitimately beat out Singleton for minutes next year either.   I'm not shedding a tear over this one, but I'd be disappointed if anyone else on our roster was thinking of leaving.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2010, 11:18:19 AM »
Oh, and yes there were some real porkers in that group of unlucky coeds. ;D

LOL... classic.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »
Chicos, I thought this thread was about Smith...Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Let's not have you go off dreaming about Bo and the boys coming to your christmas dinner

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »
They are a rock solid program in every facet.  Pains me to say.  I think they also do an exceptional job of telling it like it is upfront so there are no surprises.  The athletes and their families get it from day one and they know what to expect the next 4 to 5 years.  Stability.  Next one in, do your job, etc.   I hate their brand of basketball, but it works and there's a reason why they have been the best program in the state for over a decade, I don't care what measuring stick one uses...it's undeniable. 

Hold on...gotta grab some popcorn...this should be good...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2010, 11:19:24 AM »
I love the attention hungry people that have sources on this board yet aren't willing to divulge their top secret, confidential information....give me a frickin break...keep it to yourself.

If starting 5 games in his first semester as a freshman wasn't good enough for Smith or his stepdad, then good riddance.  How about paying your dues and earning your time on the floor?  Have fun playing in the MAC or for KO at USC.

If another player is unhappy because of a lack of PT, etc. maybe they should work harder and do what the coaches are asking them to do.  This sense of entitlement BS is tiresome.  There are 200 minutes available every game that 12 guys are competing for, earn it.  

Time to focus on the players that we have that want to be here and look forward to pulling the upset in Nashville.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »
Who wants to put money that Reggie ends up at some garbage C-USA school?

These kids forget that they are getting a legitimate education at MU.

Reggie will end up at one of two kinds of places:
  1) Another high major where he'll learn that the song remains the same ala Jeronnie Maymon, or
  2) A school that's willing to take losses and miss the tourney while Reggie starts and learns how to play division I point guard.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »
What bugs me about the whole situation isn't the simple fact that Reggie transferred it was how it was handled, ON BOTH ENDS.

Why in the world does an 18 year old have his step father picking his fights for him. Why couldn't Reggie go to his coach (mentor) and ask him what he had to do to see more minutes. Christ, my 9th grade team does that. They are big enough to come in and hear what they need to work on.

During this "meeting" why doesn't Reggie say anything? Is it becuase he doesn't want to transfer? Is it because he is completely disgusted with Buzz? Why don't you say anything to someone who has given you every opportunity in the world to succeed both academically and athletically.

Now from the otherside.....

Buzz comes out in the media immediately and tells his side of a story (maybe not the story). Something that he didn't do after DJN transferred. I find it interesting that Reggie wanted to transfer and Buzz didn't try to stop him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
Regardless of what Buzz publically said, he knew this was brewing for some time.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:34:20 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »
Chicos, I thought this thread was about Smith...Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Let's not have you go off dreaming about Bo and the boys coming to your christmas dinner

Proving for the 1000th time here on this board, that it's all about WHO posted it and not WHAT was posted.

Only a few posts earlier, Bilsu, introduced Bo Ryan and Wisconsin into the discussion.  And, as predicted and stated so often, that doesn't matter that someone else said it you'll just unload on someone else because of WHO the poster is, not what they said.  Classic, like clockwork.

Here are a few crumbs for you to follow along....reply #94

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2010, 11:37:03 AM »
I bet grades has something to do with it.  :-\
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2010, 11:38:28 AM »

He wouldn't have been granted an immediate release if they did.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2010, 11:40:55 AM »

They would have waited until his grades were in order before letting him go.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2010, 11:43:45 AM »
This just seems to be odd than. He was starting and got hurt in the Wisconsin game and than got sick.

What happened to the days of freshmen waiting there turn to play.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

mviale

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »
some respond to competition, others have problems. Hopefully, this will lead to more PT for Junior and Blue.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2010, 11:49:25 AM »
Regardless of what Buzz publically said, he knew this was brewing for some time.

Ding ding ding

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »
This just seems to be odd than. He was starting and got hurt in the Wisconsin game and than got sick.

What happened to the days of freshmen waiting there turn to play.

EXACTLY!!!! U hit it right on the $

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »
This is just sad to me, as it seems like another case of a talented young man having too many people (or one really influential person) in his ear, telling him that he's headed to the NBA and needs to be treated like that. I'm currently reading Play Their Hearts Out (referenced earlier on this board), and it's so so sad how adults (AAU coaches, parents) try to flat out use these kids because they think they might get rich from them. I hope that Smith's stepdad has noble intentions, but it definitely doesn't sound good.

groove

« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
Maybe he didnt like playing for a coach who never has a set rotation and seemed to make substitutions using a roulette wheel.

I could see the Buzzisms wearing thin over the next two years and his wacky eccentric behavior veers to just plain unstable. Over and under on the next press conference he breaks into tears talking about 'Us" and how much he loves the kids? I wish he would stop with the exaggerations. He loves Smith's Family? Give me a break, how many times has he met the family and how much time. Stop throwing around the word love.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »
I could see the Buzzisms wearing thin over the next two years and his wacky eccentric behavior veers to just plain unstable. Over and under on the next press conference he breaks into tears talking about 'Us" and how much he loves the kids? I wish he would stop with the exaggerations. He loves Smith's Family? Give me a break, how many times has he met the family and how much time. Stop throwing around the word love.

"When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning, they called me eccentric." -- Al McGuire.

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2010, 12:17:03 PM »
Maybe he didnt like playing for a coach who never has a set rotation and seemed to make substitutions using a roulette wheel.

Thats a joke. There is a method to his substitutions. It deals with getting guys on the floor who will succeed on the next possession. Would would you rather have on Defense Otule or EWill? Put your 5 best on the floor who will succeed at that given time.

As pointed out on this board before we don't nearly sub as much as other teams do (Wisconsin Game)