Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Time is up. Time is up"  (Read 9244 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: "Time is up. Time is up"
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 02:31:24 PM »
Providence and Syracuse both would have made the field with 68 teams.

We don't know that....just speculation on your part.  They might have.  There is no telling what the committee is going to do with those extra spots.  Will they reward more mid major programs or go to the blueblood conferences?  None of us knows.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 02:32:18 PM »
Can everyone agree that losses to Vanderbilt and WV pretty much takes MU out of any NCAA equation?

I expect us to lose to Vanderbilt...I expect us to beat West Virginia.  A loss at home to West Virginia would be a big hit. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 04:30:31 PM »
When Providence was not let in, they had wins over top 5 Pittsburgh (and a number 1 seed), top 20 Syracuse (a number3 seed), won their first round Big East tournament game and still weren't let in.

At the end of the day, NOTHING is guaranteed.  Calling someone crazy or delusional for stating their opinion when the very same outcome has occurred in the past to other teams, seems wrong.Incidentally, that 2009 Providence team played in a Ken Pom ranked Big East conference that was ranked third in the nation.  The 2010-11 Big East, 3rd ranked also by Ken Pom.

At this rate it will be highly unlikely the Big East finishes as the 3rd ranked conference in the land.  Pardon my utilization of the word "crazy" when I told Brew -sorry, but you are crazy if you don't think 11 Big East wins is a lock.  Brew - I assume you didn't take my comment literally..I don't think you are legitimately crazy. And Chicos - if you can find me an example of an 11-7 Big East team that hasn't made the NCAA - I'd appreciate it.  To me, that opinion of yours...seem wrong.  Thank you.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »
At this rate it will be highly unlikely the Big East finishes as the 3rd ranked conference in the land.  Pardon my utilization of the word "crazy" when I told Brew -sorry, but you are crazy if you don't think 11 Big East wins is a lock.  Brew - I assume you didn't take my comment literally..I don't think you are legitimately crazy. And Chicos - if you can find me an example of an 11-7 Big East team that hasn't made the NCAA - I'd appreciate it.  To me, that opinion of yours...seem wrong.  Thank you.

I found you 10-6...same 4 games over .500 and they didn't make it.  In fact, winning 10 of 16 games is a better winning percentage than winning 11 of 18.

I would agree that 11-7 is darn close to a lock, but it DOES depend who the 11 wins are against and where.  Seeing this team win 11 games in the Big East is hard to fathom right now, but maybe they get it going in the next few weeks to change that opinion.  Right now every service I've seen predicts no NCAA for MU and the computer predictions say the same thing.  We're going to need to change some minds with some meaningful wins...Time Is UP

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »
Can everyone agree that losses to Vanderbilt and WV pretty much takes MU out of any NCAA equation?

And here I thought the Wisconsin troll had left.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
I think 10-8 gets you into the NCAA, but I do not see any chance of this team winning 10 games in the Big East. Other teams have as much talent and more experience.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 07:18:25 PM »
I found you 10-6...same 4 games over .500 and they didn't make it.  In fact, winning 10 of 16 games is a better winning percentage than winning 11 of 18.

I would agree that 11-7 is darn close to a lock, but it DOES depend who the 11 wins are against and where.  Seeing this team win 11 games in the Big East is hard to fathom right now, but maybe they get it going in the next few weeks to change that opinion.  Right now every service I've seen predicts no NCAA for MU and the computer predictions say the same thing.  We're going to need to change some minds with some meaningful wins...Time Is UP

Fair enough...but..there is no precedent that has yet been set for an 11-7 team from the Big East to not make the tourney.  I don't see time as being UP until MU has 9 losses in the Big East. At that point..I'd concede we are darn close to a lock for the NIT.  But what if MU loses 9 Big East games, but has 3 or 4 wins over Pitt, Nova, Gtown and UCONN?  Do 4 wins over Top 10 teams not count as signature?  Though they say the committee may no longer put as much weight on your last 10 games - it is still somewhat considered...a team that finishes on a 10-game winning streak or goes 9-1 over its last ten, certainly gets some consideration as opposed to a team with a similar record that goes 5-5 over its last 10.  Guess my only point is that there are so many scenarios that can factor into these things from one year to the next...that no year is exactly like the prior year...but it would be shocking if an 11-7 team from the Big Easts didn't make the tourney..probably in any year..but certainly very shocking this year..considering how well the league as a whole has performed out of conference..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2010, 08:51:14 AM »
I don't think er have had a very good record over the last few years in beating teams ahead of us in the BE.
The team we have seen so far this year doesn't look as if they'll change that either. This team is going to have to jell in a big fat hurry to be a .500 BE ream. Here's hoping.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 05:54:29 AM »
Brew - I assume you didn't take my comment literally..I don't think you are legitimately crazy.

I didn't, but the men in the little white coats sure did. Thankfully, you posted this just in time for me to show them and save me a ride to the looney bin :D

Merry Christmas, all.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »
I expect us to lose to Vanderbilt...I expect us to beat West Virginia.  A loss at home to West Virginia would be a big hit. 

With this team and current progress, I would expect big losses against these teams.  1-1 would mean tremendous progress, 2-0 would mean tournament is coming our way.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »
With this team and current progress, I would expect big losses against these teams.  1-1 would mean tremendous progress, 2-0 would mean tournament is coming our way.

You expect a big loss at home to WVU? If we can't compete against WVU at home then it will indeed be a very long season.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »

Not sure why you would expect "big losses?"  I mean if the team gets beat by 5 points by Duke..how much worse can they do against West Virginia and Vanderbilt?

My personal feeling is that we will win both games.  2-0.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
We wouldn't have to beat two teams that are in the top 10 right now. What if those significant wins are all at home? Does anyone really think 10-8 with no good non-con wins and no good road wins equates to a trip to the NCAAs? Even 11-7 probably isn't a lock. Assume the following 11 wins:

Home: West Virginia, Rutgers, Notre Dame, DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence, Cincinnati

Road: St. John's, South Florida, Seton Hall, Louisville

Is there anything there that screams "let this team in"? Based on the current rankings, that's one win over a top 25 team, and that being at home. If we went one and done in the BEast tourney, I really don't think that 11-7 would do it. Just my opinion.

Rutgers is a road game, it's only game I get to see the team in person.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
Yes, I expect losses against WVU and Vandy.  WVU is not really a home game on 1/1 at 10 am in the morning.  Also Vandy is solid and I believe WVU is better than Vandy.

Again 1-1 would be progress and 2-0 would be ossm.  However, this is the benefit of low expectations.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:24:17 PM by mviale »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 10:56:49 AM »

WVU is a team we have to beat to meet all these predictions thrown around on this board.  We aren't going to beat Vanderbilt (well, I give us less than 25%) but WVU is one of those games at the end of the year you have to win at home.

WVU has been less than spectacular away from home this year.  Beating Duquense by 3 points, losing to Miami, FL, losing to Minnesota on a neutral court...they did beat Vandy on a neutral court, however.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »
exactly chicos - I think wvu is the harder game.  They beat Vandy and played tough against a strong Minn team.

However, with these low expectations, I hope to be surprised.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »
exactly chicos - I think wvu is the harder game.  They beat Vandy and played tough against a strong Minn team.

However, with these low expectations, I hope to be surprised.

Yes, but they beat Vandy on a neutral court in the 3rd game of the season.  I don't understand what you mean by the "harder" game for WVU.  The game is at home for MU while Vandy is on the road....how does that make the WVU game harder for us?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »

TREMENDOUS PROGRESS

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
TREMENDOUS PROGRESS

And you doubted we would win this game....WHERE IS YOUR CONFIDENCE IN BUZZ?    ;D