Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #30  (Read 2938 times)

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:24:14 PM »
I know the last thing I want to talk about is the NBA draft with the BET and March Madness upon us.. but was reading an article on ESPN Insider that has him as the 30th ranked prospect for the upcoming NBA draft.

I used to think he should stay to work on his shot... but next years draft (2008 not 2007) is stacked with PGs, and if he could be between the 21-25th pick and start out as a backup on a good team... coming off the bench bringing energy, steals and athletic moves might be a nice situation. He doesn't need to be the leading scorer on the team, the NBA has plenty of scorers, especially those selecting in the end of the first round. If he plays like he did against Pitt, with 10 assists I beleive and 1 turnover.. he doesn't have to shoot it 20 times a game to be effective, especially in the NBA, where most big men have better outside shots than him.

Also consider his cramps every game, it would worry he could tear something next year and maybe not go drafted at all if he struggled at returning... granted you would prefer to be a top 10 pick than being a mid to late 1st rounder for monetary reasons, but does he risk it and turn in a Glen Davis performance and end up being picked later or not at all? It is a tough decision either way... I guess a lot depends on the NCAA tourney... that is the reason Pat Riley picked him, saw the Kentucky game while on a treadmill and said he must have that player... if someone sees him have an incredible game he may be gone. ( I think DWade was projected about 12-15 in many mock drafts before the NCAA.. actually I thought he was going about 8 or 9 draft day).

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2007

Draft Projection: Mid to late first round

Positives: Super quick, über athletic point guard. Relentless penetrator and excellent finisher around the basket. Strong for his size. Excellent energy. True point guard who sees the floor well and makes good decisions. Tenacious defender. Really racks up the steals.

Negatives: Undersized for the position. Decent perimeter shooter, but very streaky from long range. Poor free throw shooting is an issue because his style of play often has him on the line.

Summary: In a draft weak on point guards, James has drawn a ton of interest from scouts. He still has some rough patches to work out in his game, but scouts are high on his potential. A huge shooting slump in the second half of the season has done some major damage to James' stock, but he's still a potential first round pick.

NotAnAlum

• All American
Re: #30
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 08:14:27 AM »
I think he stays, and he should
Everybody talks about how stacked the 2007-2008 draft is.  First of all, things change.  We have to look no further than DJ himself.  Last year at this time he was "a sure fire top 10 pick".  Where is he now.
Second, maybe we should give some credence to what the guy says.  In the journal about 8 days ago DJ was quoted as saying "If I had to decide right now I'd play through my senior year."  Surprise - that would have him go in the 2008-2009 draft.
Finally he doesn't "cramp up all the time".  He hasn't had to come out of a game more than 2 or 3 times the whole year with cramps.  True they have to manage his water intake.  I don't think thats all that problematic.  Remember Wade had a series of knee problems in college.
Other than exceptional talents guys ought to stay in school for 4 years and get a degree.  Its pretty obvious that is what Ryan preaches over at UW and as a result they have a top 5 team lead by a guy that is much more NBA ready than DJ.  Lets not be in such a hurry to usher DJ out of school, who knows maybe he actually likes it here.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:26:27 AM »
Remember Wade had a series of knee problems in college.

I don't remember Wade having to leave games with this "series of knee problems."

I also don't think what James was suffering from on Saturday night were actually cramps. He was in some discomfort, but it didn't look like he was cramping.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:43:13 AM »
Remember Wade had a series of knee problems in college.

I don't remember Wade having to leave games with this "series of knee problems."

I also don't think what James was suffering from on Saturday night were actually cramps. He was in some discomfort, but it didn't look like he was cramping.

Which part didn't look like cramping?  When he was rubbing his hamstrings and flexing?  Or when they were putting heating pads on his legs and giving him lots of fluids?  Just pointing out the trainers were treating him like they were cramps.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:44:17 AM »
Its pretty obvious that is what Ryan preaches over at UW and as a result they have a top 5 team lead by a guy that is much more NBA ready than DJ.

What Ryan may or may not "preach" doesn't have anything to do with it -- Tucker would have been lucky to go in the first round last year, and may slip in near the end of the first round this year.  He is a great college player without a position in the NBA and everyone knows that.  THAT is why he stayed, not because something that Ryan might preach.  He won't sniff the Top 5 of the NBA draft even after this year.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 09:24:13 AM »
Its pretty obvious that is what Ryan preaches over at UW and as a result they have a top 5 team lead by a guy that is much more NBA ready than DJ. 

What are you talking about? The only guy that was good enough to come out early (Harris), did. As far as Tucker goes, there is a reason he came back - he is not going to be much of a pro. DJ will be a far better NBA player than Tucker. Tucker is not the type of project NBA teams are all that willing to take on, a hogh potential 7-footer or a gifted PG on the other hand...If DJ comes out this year, I'm not sure he won't get drafted ahead of Tucker.

DanceHallPlayer

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »
Tucker won't be a great pro, but I think he still has a chance for a solid career despite being a "tweener" because of his quick leaping ability, quick first step and good overall court sense. Bonzi Wells is a "tweener" and he's played 10 years in the NBA and averaged double-digit points per game 8 straight years before this year.
file:///C:/Users/dhoughton/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/P45VEX3L/White%20Guy%20Cant%20Jump.gif

feedback