Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ain't Y'All Watching Newbill...  (Read 19695 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Ain't Y'All Watching Newbill...
« on: December 04, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »
on the U right now vs. Ole Miss? Thought we'd have a thread a mile long by now on how we missed out on this non-traditional guard. BTW, Nick Williams is strutin' his stuff for the Rebels also.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 08:02:23 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Ain't Y'All Watching Newbill...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 09:00:38 PM »
Been watching this game..and Newbill does look like a really good player.  In fact, the announcer said his coach - Larry Eustachy said Newbill is the best freshman he's ever coached.  Too bad he's not in an MU uniform.  Kid looks real smooth on the floor..great shot, smart player..solid handle.  Hate to say it, but he looks better than any of the freshman on our team.  Still not sure he was "Buzz-cut," as it looks like from seeing him play..he has serious skill..and perhaps the staff would have "cut" one of the other recruits in last year's class - if it was a case of making room for Jamil Wilson.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
Agree regarding Newbill.  He's guarding Nick on the defensive end late in the game.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:06:39 PM »
What is his statline?  I'm interested to see his play. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 09:07:23 PM »
If he can hit an outside shot we could use him!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »
Newbill would offer Marquette something it desperately needs; a tenacious rebounder.  He's got a nose for the basketball and has been a beast on the boards this young season.  He's especially adept at snaring rebounds on the offensive end.  Buzz missed the boat on this one and killed what could have been a terrific pipeline to the Philly area.  At least two four star recruits from Philly were interested in attending the Elite Camp and soured on the program after DJ was jettisoned.  One has already signed with Nova.  Buzz could have had himself a nice connection to a basketball rich area.  I'm afraid that's gone.  By the way, I predict Newbill has a better college career than Vander Blue.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:21:14 PM by bradforster »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
Newbill would offer Marquette something it desperately needs; a tenacious rebounder.  He's got a nose for the basketball and has been a beast on the boards this young season.  He's especially adept at snaring rebounds on the offensive end.  Buzz missed the boat on this one and killed what could have been a terrific pipeline to the Philly area.  At least two four star recruits from Philly were interested in attending the Elite Camp and soured on the program after DJ was jettisoned.  One has already signed with Nova.  Buzz could have had himself a nice connection to a basketball rich area.  I'm afraid that's gone.  By the way, I predict Newbill has a better college career than Vander Blue.

welcome back

Newbill's line: 36 min, 10 point, 10 reb (4 off), 2-3 fg, 0-1 3pt, 6-10 ft, 2 ast, 1 stl, 2 TO, 2 pf

His season thus far: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=53149

Just for fun...Vander's stats thus far: http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=51393
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:30:47 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 09:26:40 PM »
What odds and terms you want Brad?

MoreDJsPlz

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
More DJ's please.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »
By the way, I predict Newbill has a better college career than Vander Blue.

This would not surprise me given what I've seen of both players so far.  Newbill looks like the real deal.  Van has potential, but does not seem nearly as polished as Newbill at this point.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 09:36:58 PM »
Odds on what?  Newbill vs. Overhyped Blue?  I don't need any odds.  I've seen both of them play and I'm certainly not impressed with Vander's goofy looking jumper.  As for Jamil Wilson...Oregon misses him about as much as ESPN does Joe Theismann on it's football telecasts.  He's another average player who couldn't find his way around the court in year one.  

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »
Odds on what?  Newbill vs. Overhyped Blue?  I don't need any odds.  I've seen both of them play and I'm certainly not impressed with Vander's goofy looking jumper.  As for Jamil Wilson...Oregon misses him about as much as ESPN does Joe Theismann on it's football telecasts.  He's another average player who couldn't find his way around the court in year one.  

Brad baby, don't mince your words. Just say what you mean.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »
I'll take Jamil Wilson any day of the week. 6-4 guards are a dime a dozen. Newbill would be buried anyway on this roster.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 09:44:49 PM »
No solid player with a penchant for hitting the boards would be buried on an average roster.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »

You are ridiculous. How many times have you seen Newbill play? Against what competition? Who else is on the floor with him? You simply can't compare Vander and DJ at this stage, and it will be difficult to ever really get a feel for what DJ would have done at MU since So Miss simply isn't in the same category. People obviously had high expectations for Vander, but if you watched any of his senior season you should have realized he still had some work to do. Not every freshman is Carmelo Anthony, Derrick Rose or Kyrie Irving, but that doesn't mean they can't develop into great players. Vander definitely has was more upside than DJ does.

Your comments on Jamil are just totally unfounded and indefensible so I won't bother addressing them.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

mug644

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
How's Newbill's defense? In Buzz's system, guys (especially freshmen) earn playing time on the defensive end of the floor. It's been plenty acknowledged that Blue is earning his playing time on that end, and that his offense is not as strong. If he was at MU, would Newbill be getting as much playing time as Jamail Jones?

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 09:52:41 PM »
Brad where have you been? We have missed your YouTube clip voiceovers broadcasted from your parents basement

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 10:00:57 PM »
Be nice. Brad is a huge fan of this average Marquette team. Just not a "fanboy" like some of us.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »
JFMU, for your information I have a very good job and chose to leave the broadcast industry.  I could very easily set up a green screen and place a fancy background behind me.  Just because I chose to sit in front of a computer in my home office doesn't mean I'm broadcasting from my parent's basement.  I'll put my work up against anyone's on this board and any of the average sportscasters in Milwaukee without hesitation.  You are a useless pustule.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 10:19:34 PM »
You are ridiculous. How many times have you seen Newbill play? Against what competition? Who else is on the floor with him? You simply can't compare Vander and DJ at this stage, and it will be difficult to ever really get a feel for what DJ would have done at MU since So Miss simply isn't in the same category.

As I watched the Ole Miss vs Southern Miss game tonight - in some ways I thought both teams looked better than our team.  We will win this year, but it may be winning ugly - meaning getting to the free throw line a ton..not scoring a lot in in our halfcourt sets.  Southern Miss is a good mid major team.

As for the Newbill vs. Blue debate - you can just watch the 2 players and see at present Newbill looks to be the better player.  He's got a great looking shot, very physical presence, good basketball IQ (Vander does too) - but he's just a very polished looking player for a freshman..Vander is probably a better "athlete" but at this point Newbill looks to be the better player.  Newbill has very good athleticism, however.

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »
I'll put my work up against anyone's on this board and any of the average sportscasters in Milwaukee without hesitation.

I'd bet that most people would take the other Brad on this board over your 'work'. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 10:28:59 PM »
No solid player with a penchant for hitting the boards would be buried on an average roster.

Brad, we get it....you think newbill is great and was wronged by buzz. Turn the page.

Sounds like he's better off where he is anyway. Now go away

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »
How does he compare to Gasser?

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
Brad, no offense intended but it seems a little too coincidental that you only comment/post/talk in threads about Newbill. I get that you like him, but what's the deal? It only makes your posts seem biased and unfounded.  

As for the whole Blue vs. Newbill debate, I would hold off on putting your life's savings into Newbill stock. Not saying he isn't a better player now but, actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. Better scorer, maybe, but offense does not a player solely make.

And 5Years has it right, I would take the other Brad too.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »
Chicos must have stepped out tonight or he would have chimed in by now.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"