collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Joan of Arc re-hash  (Read 9531 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Joan of Arc re-hash
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »
After having some discussions about it while in Milwaukee for the Pitt game, it sounded like a better and better idea.

As some of you may recall, I (and a couple others) used to actively run the new-warriors.com website.  It's not updated much anymore, but I got an e-mail today from Joe Locher, and '84 grad that pitched this idea to Marquette in 2004 (a relation to Marquette84???).

Anyhow, interesting stuff, full info here:
http://www.new-warriors.com/index.php?itemid=7

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Joan of Arc re-hash
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 03:23:44 PM »
yeah - I honestly think a joan of arc mascot would be a sweet idea and fully in keeping with the warrior nickname.  I also agree that it would probably have to be an extended grass roots effort over a few years - I am doubting that the board wants to even look at this topic again for a while - might as well gradually warm them up to it before then.

further.. the image I am using as my avatar now is a great one I think - males and females alike would look fine in it and it retains the gold theme that has been pushed so much in the past few years.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:25:24 PM by spiral97 »
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 03:32:01 PM »
too bad anytime anyone says the word "warrior" the board automatically says no, I really don't see if they'll ever be open to the change with the present group running the university. I found it interesting at the Pitt game this past weekend when Bo Ellis did his little talk on the court and said Forever warriors...Father Wild was right there with a little smile on his face and I can't believe that getting that kind of eruption from the crowd can still make the board feel like going back to the warriors with an alternative mascot is a bad thing.  I'm all for the Joan of Arc idea....gonna have to wait and see on it though.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:38:08 PM »
Definitely on the right track....

However, I don't think a majority would get behind a female mascot for a men's basketball team.  Me included.

And I am not a sexist.  In fact, I have many friends who are women.  MANY.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 03:40:28 PM »
that is the one thing with the idea, it is a good idea but Joan would have to look mean, and I mean really fierce for it to work for the men's team.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 04:28:34 PM »
well.. I mentioned that fact to rocky over the weekend too... except as a positive thing.. can you imagine what having a female mascot would do for female applicant numbers?  hard to argue with me that that is a bad thing ;)

on a more serious note.. I don't view the gender as a big deal honestly and would probably present it as a more androgynous mascot and present Joan of Arc as an example of a Warrior in our family as would our mascot.

[geek]
In object oriented code speak.. Joan Of Arc is an instance of the class Warrior, just like our androgynous mascot would be - siblings of each other with common public function and attribute definitions.
[/geek]
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 12:00:58 AM »
I don't see the problem in having a female mascot.  Even more so, I don't get it when people make the point that a mascot needs to be "fierce" or "mean."  My high school was the "Dons" which was taken from the spanish term meaning "gentlemen of Mary."  Yup, that's right, we were the "gentlemen of Mary" and I don't know of anyone who had a problem with it.  Warriors with the Joan of Arc mascot and symbol would be excellent in my opinion and is a perfect compromise between the board and alums.  There is one problem though... the board isn't open to compromise.  I just don't seem them being open to something that is a spectacular idea like this.

...We can dream though, right?

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 09:43:01 AM »
Agreed on the mascot.  It doesn't need to look fierce, proud works fine.  My HS was the George C. Marshall Statesmen.  I always liked the name and considered it proud and unique.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 11:04:08 PM »
When I was Co-Chair of Students For Warriors, the Joan of Arc idea was definitely one we brought to the table. It would have been a very easy way to disassociate the Warriors name from the imagery of the past.

I definitely raised the point again with the Nickname Advisory Committee. I got the impression that the Joan idea is something that might raise controversy among some who would think that using her as a mascot would demean her religious and historical significance. I for one, think it would be more of an honor, and am still to this day in love with the idea more than probably any other one that was broached during the process.

BME to MD

• Scholarship Player
Do we really need a mascot anyway?
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 12:37:03 AM »
Honestly, I do not even understand the point in having a mascot.  Do we really need a cartoonish character to jump around in the stands and give out free shoes?  After all, (channeling Bo Ellis here) aren't the true Warriors the athletes who put on the uniforms and compete for us fans on the field of play?  Let Marquette be represented by three things when our teams take the field: MU monogram, the nickname the Warriors, and the players themselves.  Without a mascot there would be no model warrior that could be perceived negatively in the first place. 

I would imagine the only thing that will wash away the Native American association is time and engaging in a debate about our nickname every year is only keeping that association close at hand.  The use of Native American imagery as a tool of protest  would fade with each passing season if the nickname was changed back because there would be little to protest.  Continuing as the Golden Eagles or anything other than the Warriors will probably never result in a complete divorce of the nickname Warriors and Native American imagery because many will continue to be angry.  I am not saying that those who strongly believe that a Native American mascot is important will instantly be mollified but I would bet it would take some wind out their sails.  After all a good compromise is one that leaves no one completely satisfied.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 02:46:43 PM »
I got the impression that the Joan idea is something that might raise controversy among some who would think that using her as a mascot would demean her religious and historical significance. I for one, think it would be more of an honor, and am still to this day in love with the idea more than probably any other one that was broached during the process.

I suppose that if there was universal agreement that it is an honor to be a school's mascot, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'm not disagreeing with you; just pointing out that this whole mess began when someone reached the conclusion that it was disrespectful to Native Americans to have a Warrior as our mascot.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Veronica

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »

However, I don't think a majority would get behind a female mascot for a men's basketball team.  Me included.

And I am not a sexist.

You are sexist.

I'm not disagreeing with you; just pointing out that this whole mess began when someone reached the conclusion that it was disrespectful to Native Americans to have a Warrior as our mascot.

Willie Wampum 'scalping' people with his tomahawk is disrespectful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »
Veronica Vaughn, so hot, want to touch the heine.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
Why you hoopin?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »

[

Willie Wampum 'scalping' people with his tomahawk is disrespectful.
[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you but back in the day  Nobody Got Scalped nor was it implied

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 11:56:19 PM »
Veronica... Digging deep!

7 years!!!
SS Marquette

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »
Veronica, you like to drink alone like Melissa Smooth?

Veronica

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:20:40 AM by Veronica »

feedback