[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT Bye Bye home field, Bye Bye playoff chances for GB  (Read 6971 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: OT Bye Bye home field, Bye Bye playoff chances for GB
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 12:13:26 PM »
I used to be against artificial turf because of the injury factor, but since fieldturf has gotten rid of that issue, and the players actually like playing on it, it wouldn't kill me if the NFL mandated the use of artificial surfaces at some point in the future.  I know that goes against the "traditional" nature of football, but I would rather have a clean, consistent playing surface.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »
Bears probably have the worst playing surface (with Pittsburgh a close second) of any team in the league. The field itself is a joke, and embarassing. High schools have better playing surfaces than the Bears.

Don't they play HS games at Soldier Field late for the playoffs or all star games?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
I think the only HS game played at Soldier Field is the Prep Bowl, but I could be mistaken. The worst the "new" Soldier Field turf ever has been was last year when U2 played there and then I think it was a week later the Bears hosted the Steelers (to top it off, it rained half that game).

Steelers, I believe, let Heinz Field be used every weekend for HS games. I know there's been more than one weekend where Pitt and the Steelers have played back to back days, and throw in a HS game on a Friday night on top of it.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:46 PM »
I used to be against artificial turf because of the injury factor, but since fieldturf has gotten rid of that issue, and the players actually like playing on it, it wouldn't kill me if the NFL mandated the use of artificial surfaces at some point in the future.  I know that goes against the "traditional" nature of football, but I would rather have a clean, consistent playing surface.

The DD Grassmaster stuff used in Green Bay has held up really well. I think it's something like one synthetic fiber for every 1000 blades of grass to keep it tied together tightly. I know it was used on European soccer fields before the Packers became the first to implement it over here, and some other teams have followed suit. I don't think that's an unreasonable supplement for 100% natural grass.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 06:44:57 PM »
The DD Grassmaster stuff used in Green Bay has held up really well. I think it's something like one synthetic fiber for every 1000 blades of grass to keep it tied together tightly. I know it was used on European soccer fields before the Packers became the first to implement it over here, and some other teams have followed suit. I don't think that's an unreasonable supplement for 100% natural grass.

Hah, the Broncos (2001), Eagles (2003) and Steelers (2003) had the DD Grassmaster surface way before Packers (2007), but a minor correction :)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 06:48:12 PM »
Football is meant to be played on grass and mud. synthetic stuff doesn't stick on your helmet.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 06:51:20 PM »
Sports evolve.  Otherwise we'd still be shooting at peach baskets.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 07:10:25 PM »
I believe the Badgers still do.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »
I believe the Badgers still do.

nice.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 09:13:16 AM »
Hah, the Broncos (2001), Eagles (2003) and Steelers (2003) had the DD Grassmaster surface way before Packers (2007), but a minor correction :)

I was at Lambeau Field for an event in October.  It was a Tuesday evening, and in the center of the field, between the 35 yard markers, had a strange looking apparatus, sort of like an irrigation system that you see in farm fields, with huge lights shining onto the field.  I asked a maintenance worker what it was all about, and he said that they were testing different grass seeds to see which grew fastest and strongest in the eventuality of an 18 game season and the need to keep the field in playing shape for two additional games.  He may have been full of crap, but they obviously were testing something. 
Ludum habemus.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 09:49:27 AM »
I was at Lambeau Field for an event in October.  It was a Tuesday evening, and in the center of the field, between the 35 yard markers, had a strange looking apparatus, sort of like an irrigation system that you see in farm fields, with huge lights shining onto the field.  I asked a maintenance worker what it was all about, and he said that they were testing different grass seeds to see which grew fastest and strongest in the eventuality of an 18 game season and the need to keep the field in playing shape for two additional games.  He may have been full of crap, but they obviously were testing something. 

I don't think that contradicts anything.  The "system" is mostly a synthetic fibers buried int the sandy surface, and you still plant grass or lay sod on top of it.  The roots of the grass eventually intertwine with the fibers, making the grass tougher to up-root.

But really, I was only correcting the statement that the packers with the first team in the US to use this system.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »
I don't think that contradicts anything.  The "system" is mostly a synthetic fibers buried int the sandy surface, and you still plant grass or lay sod on top of it.  The roots of the grass eventually intertwine with the fibers, making the grass tougher to up-root.

But really, I was only correcting the statement that the packers with the first team in the US to use this system.

I wasn't trying to contradict you.  I just thought what I observed was interesting.  As the sun set, and it got dark, it looked like some weird science fiction movie experiment.  I tried to capture it on my cellphone, but it didn't turn out very well.  As to who used it first, I will defer to your knowledge.
Ludum habemus.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 05:33:38 PM »
Football is meant to be played on grass and mud. synthetic stuff doesn't stick on your helmet.

+1

Astroturf is un-American! Just ask Crash Davis!