Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Every complaint can be traced back to this.....  (Read 5490 times)

tower912

• All American
Every complaint can be traced back to this.....
« on: November 24, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
In another thread, it said that Buzz, on the Bob and Brian show, said he was trying to rush the maturation process.    We started this season with 4 players with more than 100 minutes of D1 basketball experience.   One of those is injured.   We took for granted that JFB, Buycks, DJO, and Fulce would provide the leadership on the floor that Lazar, Mo, and Cubi provided.   It hasn't happened yet.    Blue, freshman, DG, freshman, Cadougan and Otule, barely more than freshman.    This is an exceedingly inexperienced group that has to learn to be a team.    It is frustrating right now because we are expecting the same level of execution and leadership that we had last year.   That stuff doesn't happen overnight.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Every complaint can be traced back to this.....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 06:31:43 PM »
It's funny, last year I thought we would be below average to start the year, be better mid-year, and be playing our best basketball in March.  Then we played so well in Orlando that I had to adjust my expectations.  Even though our talent level was not as high, our experience helped a lot.

I think my expectations from last year really are more appropriate for this year.  We have more talent but less leadership and experience.  Thus, we should be playing our best basketball in March.

Figures since I will miss a good deal of games in March as I will be probably overseas for most of it.  Such is life.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »
Can you imagine having a team with all 12 players with less than 100 DI minutes?  Yet I read so many comments here that it wouldn't make much of a difference. LOL

Of course youth is part of it and this is no surprise.  They are right where I thought.

I'm sure Buzz will get them going with more seasoning

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »
Every complaint can be traced to unrealistic impatient fans. We were generally picked to finish 10th for a reason. We have very little experience. I expected to be 4-2 at this point. We have a lot of things we can improve upon as the season progresses.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »
Every complaint can be traced back to Crean.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:35:03 PM »
Can you imagine having a team with all 12 players with less than 100 DI minutes?  Yet I read so many comments here that it wouldn't make much of a difference. LOL

Of course youth is part of it and this is no surprise.  They are right where I thought.

I'm sure Buzz will get them going with more seasoning
No, I can't imagine the above scenario and I don't care since it has absolutely no relevance to Marquette basketball, which is what this site is about.  Are you lost?  Did you get confused about which board you are on?

It must suck to not only think you are right about everything...all the time...but to also have to constantly pat yourself on the back about it at every single chance you get.  You must be the most exhausted person on the planet.  I can't imagine how annoying you must be in real life. 

Happy Thanksgiving. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving Atl

Yes, it is fun being right especially considering some of the a-holes here.  Yes indeed, it is fun.  If they weren't such complete d-bags it wouldn't be nearly as fun to expose the hypocrisy that emanates from nearly all their posts. 

But at the end of the day I hope Buzz can keep it going.  He is a fine coach, very good recruiter and has us on the right track.  We will be fine this year, I agree with Bilsu's statement.  We are exactly where I though we would be and also believe Buzz will fix the problems.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
Every complaint can be traced back to Crean.

This.
Ludum habemus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 11:43:27 PM »
This.

Only for losers who keep wanting to bring up the past.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »
  He is a fine coach,

Don't you think it's a little early to be saying that!   ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving Atl

Yes, it is fun being right especially considering some of the a-holes here.  Yes indeed, it is fun.  If they weren't such complete d-bags it wouldn't be nearly as fun to expose the hypocrisy that emanates from nearly all their posts. 

But at the end of the day I hope Buzz can keep it going.  He is a fine coach, very good recruiter and has us on the right track.  We will be fine this year, I agree with Bilsu's statement.  We are exactly where I though we would be and also believe Buzz will fix the problems.

Chicos,

How does Buzz fix the poor shooting form from a number of players now that the season already is underway?  Shouldn't this have been worked on earlier?

And how do you fix Otule's brick hands?  Isn't the ability to secure the basketball pretty much a natural skill?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:57:27 AM »
Chicos,

How does Buzz fix the poor shooting form from a number of players now that the season already is underway?  Shouldn't this have been worked on earlier?

That is why we have a different offensive scheme than last year. Last year we had guards who could only shoot three point shots and the offense was designed to take advantage of that. This year the guards are not good outside shooters and the offense is designed to take the ball inside.

As far as Otule's hands ther is not much you can do about that. However, the more he plays the more the game will slow down for him and the better he will get.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »
No, I can't imagine the above scenario and I don't care since it has absolutely no relevance to Marquette basketball, which is what this site is about.  Are you lost?  Did you get confused about which board you are on?

It must suck to not only think you are right about everything...all the time...but to also have to constantly pat yourself on the back about it at every single chance you get.  You must be the most exhausted person on the planet.  I can't imagine how annoying you must be in real life. 

Happy Thanksgiving. 
ATLMU, I suspect Chicos' reasoning is consistent with the vast majority of intelligent MU followers.  He is stating the obvious. You are way off base here. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Agreed nmb, but please try to minimalize rational thought on this board.  Thank you.  ;D

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »
I just have to laugh at all these posts. We lost to two of the best teams in the country! We didn't play well, and we were still in the games. Last year we won some games early, but if that same team played Duke and Gonzaga this year they may not have won those games either.

It is a long season. We need to get some consistency out of DJO on offense, and collectively Marquette must rebound as a team. If that happens, Marquette could still have a real nice year. I'm taking it one day at a time, and just enjoying the fact that Buzz has the guys working hard and they are doing everything they can do to get better!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 10:29:32 AM »
I just have to laugh at all these posts. We lost to two of the best teams in the country! We didn't play well, and we were still in the games. Last year we won some games early, but if that same team played Duke and Gonzaga this year they may not have won those games either.

It is a long season. We need to get some consistency out of DJO on offense, and collectively Marquette must rebound as a team. If that happens, Marquette could still have a real nice year. I'm taking it one day at a time, and just enjoying the fact that Buzz has the guys working hard and they are doing everything they can do to get better!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

MU lost to two of the best teams in the country?  OK, there was Duke.  Who was the other?  It certainly wasn't Gonzaga, who was a 2 point underdog to MU and had already been beaten by SDSU at home and won't even be ranked in the top 25 now. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
MU lost to two of the best teams in the country?  OK, there was Duke.  Who was the other?  It certainly wasn't Gonzaga, who was a 2 point underdog to MU and had already been beaten by SDSU at home and won't even be ranked in the top 25 now. 
Chicos 2?? Smells like it.  Complain about our recruiting lacking shooters...now downplaying  the talent of a consensus top 15 reason team that was desperate for a win...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
DJO knocks down 3 or 4 shots like he normally does and the tone of this board changes dramatically. We're young, losses like these are going to happen. FWIW, Gonzaga looked like a top 25 team to me.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
DJO knocks down 3 or 4 shots like he normally does and the tone of this board changes dramatically. We're young, losses like these are going to happen. FWIW, Gonzaga looked like a top 25 team to me.

well, he didn't and we lost. what ifs, maybe and almost mean nothing. we lost both games. end of story.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 12:24:59 PM »
ATLMU, I suspect Chicos' reasoning is consistent with the vast majority of intelligent MU followers.  He is stating the obvious. You are way off base here. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
You are right. FWIW, I wasn't arguing about his reasoning on why we are struggling.  I agree completely.  I think I went over the edge about the unecessary IU reference.

Hope everyone is enjoying the day and getting ready for Saturday.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 12:35:30 PM »

They won't be? That's pretty confident without much logic behind it. The Zags lost to SDSU last week and already dropped in the polls to reflect that. The SDSU loss will have absolutely no bearing on them dropping any further in the polls. This week, they lost to the #4 team in the nation in what was essentially an away game, then beat a team that played pretty close to even with Duke. The K-State loss may drop them a slot or two, and it's early enough in the season for major movement, but it seems more than likely that they will stay in the top 25.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 01:47:07 PM »
well, he didn't and we lost. what ifs, maybe and almost mean nothing.
I think the NCAA selection committee might disagree. A young team at the beginning of the year ALMOST pulling the upset on a #1 (or at least staying close) does mean something. A 5-point loss does mean SOMETHING, especially when the #4 team loses essentially at home the next night by 14. As poorly as they played in spurts, I would categorize these as "good" losses.

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 04:41:57 PM »
I think the NCAA selection committee might disagree. A young team at the beginning of the year ALMOST pulling the upset on a #1 (or at least staying close) does mean something. A 5-point loss does mean SOMETHING, especially when the #4 team loses essentially at home the next night by 14. As poorly as they played in spurts, I would categorize these as "good" losses.

How is it a "good" loss vs Gonzaga when MU was the favorite?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 04:48:34 PM »
Hey nomorebuycks, err willie...

Last time I checked the NCAA selection committee doesn't look at bookmakers odds.  And this is now like the 5th post where you mention this, 2 pt. line is a toss up.  See you next time MU loses, now move along.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 08:26:07 PM »

Maybe but my concerns would still be there.  Last year we had 4 shooters, this year we have 1 and he's struggling mightily.  I'm not sold on DB being a solid shooter, but he's done well so far to his credit.

Ners, if you are implying I have a second username here you can pound sand.  I have one username here because I've never been banned.  I have used other usernames on Dodds board in years past when he has banned me and thus ceased a new one.  I'm sure the mods here can validate that....while they are at they can verify LC Dutchman, Salsaman and others who most certainly were other users not long ago

feedback