Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Every complaint can be traced back to this.....  (Read 5491 times)

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
Re: Every complaint can be traced back to this.....
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »
It's funny, last year I thought we would be below average to start the year, be better mid-year, and be playing our best basketball in March.  Then we played so well in Orlando that I had to adjust my expectations.  Even though our talent level was not as high, our experience helped a lot.

I think my expectations from last year really are more appropriate for this year.  We have more talent but less leadership and experience.  Thus, we should be playing our best basketball in March.

Figures since I will miss a good deal of games in March as I will be probably overseas for most of it.  Such is life.

Hey i'll bite -- what's supposed to bring you overseas?

Also ... haterade is never in season, people.  Take out your anger at the gym -- it's great you have an opinion, but being nasty wins you no respect.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 12:33:12 PM »
Maybe but my concerns would still be there.  Last year we had 4 shooters, this year we have 1 and he's struggling mightily.  I'm not sold on DB being a solid shooter, but he's done well so far to his credit.

With you on Buycks, such a Jekyl/Hyde proposition with him. I understand Cadougan's a pass-first guy, but he has a nice shot and he hopefully he will take a few more as his confidence goes up.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »
Experience is killer for us.  I think the experienced starters need to step up on offense a little bit, especially Jimmy. 

Right now, MU seems to be running a 5 man motion with each person getting kind of equal touches.  I think Jimmy especially needs to establish himself as the dominant offensive threat.  This means he takes more tough shots and his percentage drops, but once defenses need to key in on him, it should make everyone else's job easier.

Last year, Lazar took some bad shots from a pure basketball standpoint, but he did establish that he was the alpha dog out there.  Everyone fed off of that, and that team overachieved big time in my opinion. 

Just like Lazar got all his shots in the flow of the offense his junior year, so too did Jimmy his junior year.  As a senior, Jimmy needs to step up and be an isolation player.  Jimmy may even have more talent than Lazar, so I think he needs to do the same with establishing himself on isolations.  This inexperienced team needs an alpha dog out there regardless of all the talent on the team.  Send this message to our MU alum in Miami to do the same if he wants his team above .500.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
HoopsMalone, I've thought the exact same thing. Jimmy might not be as efficient in this scenario, just as Lazar's efficiency dropped junior to senior year. But the overall team efficiency and flow would increase significantly IMO.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
HoopsMalone, I've thought the exact same thing. Jimmy might not be as efficient in this scenario, just as Lazar's efficiency dropped junior to senior year. But the overall team efficiency and flow would increase significantly IMO.

Ya, and when we are just passing the ball around, it puts Buycks into situations where he has to make plays more often than he should.  He has had a few turnovers, but some of it is because he is put in tough spots.  Jimmy can make Buycks and everyone better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 11:57:48 AM »
Bumped my own thread because it encapsulates everything we saw again last night.   Still finding their way.   The kind of chemistry, ball movement, and leadership we saw last year are not something that comes easily or can be taken for granted.   You can't order it like a Big Mac and have it ready in 30 seconds.  Patience.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 12:02:44 PM »
Bumped my own thread because it encapsulates everything we saw again last night.   Still finding their way.   The kind of chemistry, ball movement, and leadership we saw last year are not something that comes easily or can be taken for granted.   You can't order it like a Big Mac and have it ready in 30 seconds.  Patience.

I agree with you, but the timeline is shortening.

Having DG back will be big, no pun intended.

feedback