Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Keaton Miles  (Read 10031 times)

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
Keaton Miles
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:07:43 AM »
Not sure if he has any serious interest in us. He also has Wichita State on his list. (??) WVU thinks he is their's.

"Dallas (Lincoln) small forward Keaton Miles will announce his college decision on Wednesday afternoon, ESPN.com's National Recruiting Director Paul Biancardi has confirmed.

The 6-foot-6, 4-star Miles will choose between Penn State, Wichita State, Texas Tech, Houston, West Virginia, Arkansas, SMU and Marquette. He is expected to announce at 4 pm CDT/5 pm EDT."

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Keaton Miles
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »
Don't think we've been involved with him for awhile..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:50:22 PM »
Picked WVU. They have a huge class coming in, 5 fourstars and a real sleeper in relatively unknown center Pat Forsythe. Huggins is really cashing in on their Final 4.

The positive spin on this is in regards to Mike Shaw. Their class is now full with 6 commits. Unless they plan on oversigning, I would say they are likely not in the running for Shaw.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »
WVU, St. Johns and Louisville are loading it up. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »
WVU, St. Johns and Louisville are loading it up. 
All the more reason we need to be also.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »
Agreed.
This has got to help us with regards to Shaw...what's Illinois' situation with scholarships and incoming big men?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
Picked WVU. They have a huge class coming in, 5 fourstars and a real sleeper in relatively unknown center Pat Forsythe. Huggins is really cashing in on their Final 4.

The positive spin on this is in regards to Mike Shaw. Their class is now full with 6 commits. Unless they plan on oversigning, I would say they are likely not in the running for Shaw.

All good coaches cash in after their Final 4.......ah, then there was Crean.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »

That man was only interested in cashing in for himself.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
Agreed.
This has got to help us with regards to Shaw...what's Illinois' situation with scholarships and incoming big men?

Illinois has plenty of room for a couple more commits. One big man signed so far. They will be our toughest competition for Shaw, IMO

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 07:53:50 PM »

I thought the kids Crean recruited after the Final Four made the transition to the Big East relatively smooth for Marquette. Considering the excuses flying around this summer regarding how tough it is to recruit to a school like Marquette, that may be the best "cash-in" we could get.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »
you must not remember the 2 or 3 classes that followed the Final 4....mid-major at best.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 08:34:39 PM »
you must not remember the 2 or 3 classes that followed the Final 4....mid-major at best.

Moving up I see....not long ago they were dubbed "not DI talent". 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »

I thought the kids Crean recruited after the Final Four made the transition to the Big East relatively smooth for Marquette. Considering the excuses flying around this summer regarding how tough it is to recruit to a school like Marquette, that may be the best "cash-in" we could get.

A lot of that is because every expert in the land and every coach recruiting against us thought TC was leaving after the Final Four.  That didn't make things any easier.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 09:16:29 PM »
A lot of that is because every expert in the land and every coach recruiting against us thought TC was leaving after the Final Four.  That didn't make things any easier.

Hard to beleive knowing how hard TC tied to discourage that speculation ;D

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »

Gee, I wonder where that rumor came from??

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »

The first class that followed the final four (03-04) season typically would not reflect the final four because most of the class was in place already.  I'll grant that the next class wasn't very good and didn't seem to capitalize on the final four success.  But the next two classes rewrote a lot of Marquette's record books and were very competitive in the Big East.  So, which is it?  Did Crean's recruiting suck after the final four?  Or was he an amazing coach that got a lot out of those "2 or 3" classes that were "mid-major at best?"
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 08:52:42 AM »

I don't know if I'd call the three amigos mid-major at best....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:31 AM »
I don't know if I'd call the three amigos mid-major at best....

He's being selective and he'll almost certainly say that is 2 or 3 is actually just two.  He's counting 03-04 (which you would not necessarily expect to reflect a March run to the final four) and 04-05 which admittedly wasn't very good (Ooze, Amo, Fitz transfer).  That third class was a great recruiting class, and Lazar came the next year.

I think it's fair to say Crean screwed the pooch and failed to capitalize on the final four on the 04-05 class which is when you'd expect to see a real benefit (like this year with WVU).  But to suggest that the next "2 or 3" classes after the FF were "mid-major" talent is revisionist history.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 10:04:49 AM »
Gee, I wonder where that rumor came from??

Back at that time of his career, it came from the press and was conventional wisdom.  Take little old Marquette to the Final Four...where are you going next?

Go back and read the Tom Izzo comments from 2003 where he says he had personal conversations with TC and he wants to stay at MU because we gave him his first coaching gig.  He also comments about some of the other job opportunities that TC was saying no to.  Now, was Izzo lying?

FROM ESPN

At Marquette ... Tom Crean was lying low after signing his contract extension, apparently not interested in seeing if Illinois was interested in his services. But a few details are emerging as to why he took the deal. Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said it was hard for Crean to turn down a chance to be secure financially from a school that had taken care of him. The new Al McGuire center, set to open in the fall and the love fest that a Final Four can deliver were too hard to ignore. "The AD and the school had been very fair to him," Izzo said. "All of those were big factors."

TC started leveraging the "I might go" game about a year later, but not in 2003.

So there's your answer if you must know.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:07:36 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »
Back at that time of his career, it came from the press and was conventional wisdom.  Take little old Marquette to the Final Four...where are you going next?

Go back and read the Tom Izzo comments from 2003 where he says he had personal conversations with TC and he wants to stay at MU because we gave him his first coaching gig.  He also comments about some of the other job opportunities that TC was saying no to.  Now, was Izzo lying?

FROM ESPN

At Marquette ... Tom Crean was lying low after signing his contract extension, apparently not interested in seeing if Illinois was interested in his services. But a few details are emerging as to why he took the deal. Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said it was hard for Crean to turn down a chance to be secure financially from a school that had taken care of him. The new Al McGuire center, set to open in the fall and the love fest that a Final Four can deliver were too hard to ignore. "The AD and the school had been very fair to him," Izzo said. "All of those were big factors."

TC started leveraging the "I might go" game about a year later, but not in 2003.

So there's your answer if you must know.

I have some land I'd like to sell you.  TC definitely was more than interested in the Illinois job and probably would have taken it if the interest was mutual and they would meet what MU was willing to cough up.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
my 2 or 3 referred to the fact that Cream was not done recruting after the final 4.  His final four momentum allowed him to cash in on Karon bradley after the Final 4.  Hit one out of the park on that.

His next two full classes consisted of 7 recruits.  That again were mid major at best and yes possibly not even D1 worthy.  In fact abyssmal to dredful considering the Al was up and running, the Final 4 etc.  Of the 7 recruits Cream signed 1 top 100 player in Dameon MAson.  Four of the 7 transfered and of the 3 that did not 2 were Jucos.

Read the boards today...could you possibly imagine the angst if Buzz signed 7 kids in 2 years of which 1 was atop 100 kid!!??  And the classes consisted of guys like Brandon Bell, Mike Kinsella, etc. etc.

Those two classes were freaking terrible. indescribebly terrible.  then throw in the fact that we had the Al, DWade, and the Final Four.  Only a terrible recruiter could turn in those two stinkers.    
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:42:50 AM by Canadian Dimes »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »
my 2 or 3 referred to the fact that Cream was not done recruting after the final 4.  His final four momentum allowed him to cash in on Karon bradley after the Final 4.  Hit one out of the park ont hat.

Wait, didn't Karon Bradley play on the final 4 team?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
Wait, didn't Karon Bradley play on the final 4 team?

Yes.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
Facts are overrated in world of MR.HAYWARRRerp...I mean Canadien Dimes.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »
i may be wrong i thought he signed someone in the spring after the final four.  completely regardless tho his next two classes were freaking terrible and led to two completely pathetic years.

Wonder if Buzz does what cream did in years 5 and 6 of his tenure how people would feel.  Luckily we wont have to worry about it.  Buzz understands great players make coaches great, Others write books about how great of coaches they are...and then go sign classes like his last two at indiana.  Or like 7 of his 9 at MU.   

feedback