collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Can of Worms - Opened  (Read 33033 times)

IWB

• Scholarship Player
Re: Hood to Announce Today
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
Stone Cold - Really?

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2010, 08:00:13 PM »
Like I said, do whatever you need to do, it's your world, the rest of us are just pawns in it....

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
Ners what you did, while well intentioned, honestly I would consider in poor taste. But it's not that big of a deal. I think it's silly that some of these guys get so worked up about stuff like this. Oh well I'm sure you won't lose any sleep. I know I won't. You will however surely be going straight to hell for you lack of manly honor :)

That's fair enough - I had NO idea there was this type of "rivalry" (if you will) between this site and the Scout site.  Clearly, there is a BIG rivalry.  I've enjoyed reading both boards and being a subscriber to Scout for awhile...

All of this said, I sincerely apologize to those who were offended, and to Mark Miller - there was NO malice of any variety in my intentions...and I guess you can just call me ignorant..as I'm not that well read on media law as it pertains to information you gain as a subscriber to a media source.

Having said this, I do think the folks at Scout need to relax...to those who want more info on the Marquette program..and happenings..they will subscribe as they want.  for ocasional content that gets shared over here..let it go...it might actually induce MORE people to subscribe..as they see how much they may be missing out on.   Instead of having a paranoid and fear-based outlook, perhaps the folks at Scout could benefit by sharing MORE with the also die-hard MU fans at Scoop..and as such might induce more subscriptions.  Think abundantly, and not fearfully.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »
Ziggy - to answer your question, I have no idea what is up. I too heard from good sources yesterday that he was making his decision yesterday and would let it be known today. So far nothing. Is he having second thoughts? Can he just not decide? Does he want one school where his family wants another? Who knows.

One thing I will say is that I have been trying to get info on it all day, and am coming up empty. The fact that I can't get an answer in either direction, tells me that the kid is still struggling with the decision and the coaches recruiting him are fighting with everything they have to convince him why they should be the choice.
Thanks for the additional insight IWB...this process has to be in some ways just as hard on a kid as it is the coaching staffs at the schools in contention. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2010, 08:05:37 PM »
Especially when there is a set of certain variables you can't control.  ;)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »
So iwb while we have you over here care to comment on the whole hood committing today thingy.

ZiggysFryBoy....often imitated, never duplicated.   ;D

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2010, 08:10:53 PM »
I4 is such a tanning bed dickhead.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
Stone Cold - Really?

Yeah.  I appreciate the job you and Mark Miller have done over the years.  I've subscribed to Mark's former newsletter and followed you at rivals and was a premium member for the first few years you had your board on scout.  

All the info gets out eventually and I guess it didn't mean that much anymore to me to be the first guy to know.  It's your right to make a buck or two off the fanaticism of MU fans and you provide a service.  But I enjoy sharing the info I've gotten from  rivals with the marquette community and I know plenty of that goes on, on the scout premium board.  

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2010, 08:55:56 PM »
I could be way off base with this, but it was anounnced today that Tony Woods, 6-10 center at Wake Forest, was transferring to loserville.  Maybe hood is rethinking decision?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2010, 08:58:32 PM »
Free music isn't (so) free any more because of the iPod...that is the point.  The Burns Bros. are charging for their new release via Comcast, iPhone, net for VOD.  Straight to video in a few weeks for retail.  What is DTV doing to play protect?  Gladwell and Anderson's dwelled on the "Freemium" debate (think ESPN).  Gladwell is like you, trying to find the currency to protect.  Anderson sees the broader access "means to an end".  Gladwell argued free is not sustainable. 

btw, loved your weeping CEO on "Undercover Boss".  Good segment.

He didn't weep, but he did get emotional...he's a good guy.  Jesuit educated (Boston College - liberal arts background) and really is that nice of a guy.  It's funny, he was in my office a few months ago and saw all the Marquette stuff (yes folks, I'm a MU fan and proud of it despite the inane comments here at times from those that actually think I'm not).   He immediately said, "do you know Father Leahy?".   We proceeded to chat Jesuit education, MU, BC for quite some time.  Very personable man.  Unlike any other CEO I've ever worked for, that includes Chase Carey now at Fox, Michael Eisner at Disney, etc.  All of them were very smart, but this guy has a human element that is easy to identify right from the start.

Yes, I understand the article and the content.  It's an interesting debate, but where I think too many incorrect parallels are made (not necessarily in this particular article) is comparing some of these industries.  They are so incredibly different.  If I had a nickle for every time someone said the tv industry is going to way of the record \ iTunes industry I'd be a multi millionaire by now.  The record industry didn't control the pipes and their cost of producing their content was small.  The tv industry is so so so different, including who controls the pipes and the amount of money that goes into producing content.  It's one of the few bipartisan issues as well, because of who is impacted.  It doesn't mean the tv world isn't going to be changing with Over The Top distribution, it most certainly is.  The internet will play a huge role as well, absolute no one is deny this...and all the MSO's are very much in that space now or will be very soon.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
You paid to view it not distribute it.  Just because you bought a ticket to the movie theater doesn't mean you can bring in your movie camera and distribute it.  People do it and get away with it but if you are one of the people they decide to go after you end up paying a lot more then your monthly subscription.  For this type of thing it isn't worth it though.

Correct, but it doesn't prevent you from going on every movie site and telling the entire story, including the ending to the movie.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »
Hello there .. been out of contact for the day.

Just caught up on this thread.   Want to chime in that the official policy here is that we want to respect Dodds' premium info.  It's a business, they take money and give you premium info, and you have to respect that.

Don't take info from the premium site for basically one reason.  Dodds gets all uptight about it and can make life difficult for the moderators.

muguru and djgoldenboy, instead of getting all fussy as well, use the "report to moderator" button.

Personally, I think the premium board is a giant waste of money.  I don't need to spend $10 a month to boost my ego about having "inside" info or feeling part of a special club.  Whenever premium subscribers talk about it here, they talk down on MUScoop.  
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:02:35 PM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »
Don't take info from the premium site for basically one reason.  Dodds gets all uptight about it and can make life difficult for the moderators.

Well .. in response to that, I'll say that the ones protesting the most in this thread are subscribers to the premium board, protecting their prized info they thought they'd be the only ones privvy to, since they ponied up.

IWB has posted, but it's been more of a warning to others about the law, moreso than a protest. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »
He didn't weep, but he did get emotional...he's a good guy.  Jesuit educated (Boston College - liberal arts background) and really is that nice of a guy.  It's funny, he was in my office a few months ago and saw all the Marquette stuff (yes folks, I'm a MU fan and proud of it despite the inane comments here at times from those that actually think I'm not).   He immediately said, "do you know Father Leahy?".   We proceeded to chat Jesuit education, MU, BC for quite some time.  Very personable man.  Unlike any other CEO I've ever worked for, that includes Chase Carey now at Fox, Michael Eisner at Disney, etc.  All of them were very smart, but this guy has a human element that is easy to identify right from the start.

Yes, I understand the article and the content.  It's an interesting debate, but where I think too many incorrect parallels are made (not necessarily in this particular article) is comparing some of these industries.  They are so incredibly different.  If I had a nickle for every time someone said the tv industry is going to way of the record \ iTunes industry I'd be a multi millionaire by now.  The record industry didn't control the pipes and their cost of producing their content was small.  The tv industry is so so so different, including who controls the pipes and the amount of money that goes into producing content.  It's one of the few bipartisan issues as well, because of who is impacted.  It doesn't mean the tv world isn't going to be changing with Over The Top distribution, it most certainly is.  The internet will play a huge role as well, absolute no one is deny this...and all the MSO's are very much in that space now or will be very soon.

I agree with you that sometimes a "guy has a human element that is easy to identify right from the start". And it doesn't mean you're "polishing his knob" when you recognize it ;)

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »
Why would Mark Miller ever post here again with all the pot shots about the worthlessness of the information? Sheesh.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
Who said the information was useless?  He was just reporting what he was hearing.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2010, 09:33:29 PM »
Why would Mark Miller ever post here again with all the pot shots about the worthlessness of the information? Sheesh.

For every action there is a reaction.  I made an honest mistake and took something I learned from being a subscriber to the Scout site..and shared here.  I didn't see it in my terms and conditions for the subscription that I couldn't share information I paid for...

That aside..I got drilled HERE by some of the Scout die hards..after getting multiple PMs from people from the Scout site and numerous posts here calling me a "stealer," implying I'm not a man, etc...thus my REACTION where I made the comment that it would be ironic in this case..if the premium info weren't accurate...I'm not dissing Mark Miller, and have great respect for him and IWB and the Scout site...but when run of the mill subscribers and posters from over there go off on me..I felt it necessary in my defense to float the notion that if I pay from "premuim information," and it turns out to not be accurate..then does it really have any value..and therefore should I be entitled to a refund??  I don't want a refund from Scout, want to continue to be a member there..and am not that stupid to realize that things can change in an instant with regard to a recruits timeline/decision-making process..so have no ill-will toward Mark Miller..nor was I trying to devalue his information/service he provides..but instead was reacting to the attacks launched against me..

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »
Secondly, if we are losing recruits because of the comments of a fan or fans....wow, talk about thin skinned. What are they going to do when Buzz yells at them at practice, wet themselves?  What are they going to do when an opposing team mocks them at the free throw line...run off the court?  Please.  

That's what Badgers fans told themselves about recruits they lost. "We never cost Bucky a recruit by what we said on a message board. Oh, but if we did, he wasn't tough enough for us anyway." Great philosophy. Sorta fulfills itself.
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
I agree with you that sometimes a "guy has a human element that is easy to identify right from the start". And it doesn't mean you're "polishing his knob" when you recognize it ;)

Very true....until he does something to someone (or a kid) that makes you throw that opinion right into the toilet.   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2010, 09:49:25 PM »
That's what Badgers fans told themselves about recruits they lost. "We never cost Bucky a recruit by what we said on a message board. Oh, but if we did, he wasn't tough enough for us anyway." Great philosophy. Sorta fulfills itself.

If kids are choosing to leave or go to a specific school because of message board chatter, than God help us all.  That should be reason number 50 out of 50 reasons to choose or not choose a school to attend. Well after the quality of the coaching, the school, the academics, the teammates, the ability to play at the next level, the hotness of the girls, etc, etc, etc.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »
You may not think it true but there have been at least two occasions when parents of players were turned off by stuff they saw on MU message boards. Perhaps not dispositive but contributing to outcomes. Those in marketing should understand that it isn't one thing stated but an overall impression resulting from frequent exposure. It does make a difference. We earn our reputations every day, not just now and then.

If kids are choosing to leave or go to a specific school because of message board chatter, than God help us all.  That should be reason number 50 out of 50 reasons to choose or not choose a school to attend. Well after the quality of the coaching, the school, the academics, the teammates, the ability to play at the next level, the hotness of the girls, etc, etc, etc.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »

We do know that Vander Blue was affected by how the Bucky community treated him on their message boards.  I don't think we should by any means discount the role these boards can play in recruitment.  It may seem weird, but we are talking about 16 year old kids - hell, most of us as grown adults wouldn't respond well to seeing our name "in print" and being talked about in a negative fashion.  Furthermore, I don't think it would be beyond any of us as adults to check out a "social network" site of a company we were considering going to work for..to get a feel for the company..and if upon going there...we saw our name being disparaged??  Major turn off.  Now, that is only amplified for a 16 year old kid.  Come on Chicos..you can't merely dismiss this forum and its "role" in recruiting.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »
Very true....until he does something to someone (or a kid) that makes you throw that opinion right into the toilet.   ;)

Like "throwing" a potted plant?  Back to the publically weeping/emotional CEO, can he make the tough calls to lay off people without "crapping his pants" at the BOD meeting or during an interview?   Will you wait five years before you make a judgment on him?  ;)

j/k no answer needed

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »
You may not think it true but there have been at least two occasions when parents of players were turned off by stuff they saw on MU message boards. Perhaps not dispositive but contributing to outcomes. Those in marketing should understand that it isn't one thing stated but an overall impression resulting from frequent exposure. It does make a difference. We earn our reputations every day, not just now and then.

Doesn't the Athletic Department direct parents and recruits to the Scout message board?  Broeker and company are smart enough to know which message board is more likely to have impressions favorable of Marquette.  

Get Dodds to clean up that board.  There are potential recruits at stake that might be reading.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »
We do know that Vander Blue was affected by how the Bucky community treated him on their message boards.  I don't think we should by any means discount the role these boards can play in recruitment.  It may seem weird, but we are talking about 16 year old kids - hell, most of us as grown adults wouldn't respond well to seeing our name "in print" and being talked about in a negative fashion.  Furthermore, I don't think it would be beyond any of us as adults to check out a "social network" site of a company we were considering going to work for..to get a feel for the company..and if upon going there...we saw our name being disparaged??  Major turn off.  Now, that is only amplified for a 16 year old kid.  Come on Chicos..you can't merely dismiss this forum and its "role" in recruiting.

I'll go a step further and suggest that in the age of social media, Twitter, facebook and message boards make an impression on a recruit more than the shiny catalogue from the engineering department. We can dedicate a thread to whether that should be the case, but it is.
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

feedback