[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaw Not Committing Until Spring? Issue Qualifying DePaul Now In The Picture?  (Read 26265 times)

dennycrane

• Starter
See the NCAA investigation at Oregon....and his client list of Bo' Boys....and his long history with the Badgers as a friend of the prgram going back 15-20 years...and his AAU ties...that is a whole lot of "shady" going on...

Seriously what aau program is he tied to? Never heard of him before.

The oregon situation is all about Nike. I doubt if this guy was funneling money to his two former badger clients aau teams ( Randolph Boys Club and Dakota Schoolers )

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

The oregon situation is all about Nike. I doubt if this guy was funneling money to his two former badger clients aau teams ( Randolph Boys Club and Dakota Schoolers )

He has been around the Chicago AAU scene going back in time....starting with the Whitney Young network....so how do these "connections" work for this Wisconsin Alumni?

So, Rising Stars, owned and run by Highland Parkers (Mike Weinstein, Brian Davis), just happen to also be connected to our Highland Park friend and Wisconsin alumni--who also coached within this network back in the day before he became an agent.  Marcus Jordan a part time Highland Parker--and a member of the Whitney Young state championship--played for Rising Stars.  Oh, so does Ben Brust.

George Marshall plays for former Whitney Young alum, Bobby Locke (and Westinghouse connection Chris Head before) as recruited by Moore.  Wisconsin connection #2.  btw, Marshall was an Irvin guy...so another degree of Bucky Shady under your definition.

Our Bucky friend is an agent for Dunnigan--a Mean Streets alum..and the NCAA is reportedly looking at Dunnigan and two other Mean Streets alums Josh Crittle and Matt Humphrey in the Oregon situation because an agent apparently became involved in some "shady" dealings with them, trying to package them for $$.  More to come, but Crittle wound up at, surprise, Central Florida with Jordan.  You can read up on the Oregon situation here:

http://www.wildwestsports.com/Discussion/Board/Basketball/Post/View/1035134/oregon-self-reporting-infractions-to-the-ncaa

This said agent has a client list that includes Badgers Krabby, JBo, Stiemsma, etc.  He also seems to have a record of employing Wisconsin hoops players going back into the 1990's as pointed out before.  

So...you asked how he was connected to Wisconsin.  A lot of coincidences?  Or just making "connections" for Bo and himself?  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:07:00 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

GGGG

• All American
Ownage.

The idea that any program is above this sort of thing is foolish and myopic.

GOMU1104

• All American
I'm late to the party, but there are a couple of things I wanted to address. First...

Great post. I have no idea where an AAU coach gets off trying to push a player in a certain direction if his family wants another. Who do these guys think they are? You are absolutely right about how up in arms we'd all be if it were the other way around.

Imagine this scenario (I'm not saying this is the case with Shaw, but an example)...At a certain age (8/10/12/14 years old, whatever), a kid shows promise on the court and gets noticed and recruited to an AAU program. While it is evident that this player is good and has a future,  his family cannot afford all of the costs associated with summer basketball.  The AAU coach is confident in the kid and agrees to help the kid and his family out with the costs...maybe paying for it all, but providing some benefit.

When it comes to the kid's college recruitment...who gets to have the most say? The family, or the one that made it all possible, the coach? Is it wrong for the coach who made it all possible to have a say in where the kid is going? Sometimes the coach and the family are on the same page. Sometimes the coach is looking out for himself or his AAU program and is looking for a payday.

Further...What happens when it is (hopefully) time for the player to possibly turn pro early?  Many believe it is all about the player making the decision, and many criticize when a FR/SO/JR turn pro early. It may not be his decision alone. The same AAU coach that provided for him in high school still has a stake in the game. He makes it known to the player that it is time to go pro (NBA or overseas) and start to "return the favor." 

GOMU1104

• All American

Also...Regarding UW/Bo/AAU programs.  Anyone ever hear of the Wisconsin SWING Program? I'm willing to bet you have.  Anyone have any idea how that program got started? Here is a nice rundown of what happened:

http://marquette.scout.com/2/297634.html 

Bo had the genius idea to have a former player start the program, and have his son, Will Ryan, coach it. At the time, Will Ryan was also the Video Coordinator for UW basketball. Needless to say, the NCAA stepped in...

dennycrane

• Starter
He has been around the Chicago AAU scene going back in time....starting with the Whitney Young network....so how do these "connections" work for this Wisconsin Alumni?

So, Rising Stars, owned and run by Highland Parkers (Mike Weinstein, Brian Davis), just happen to also be connected to our Highland Park friend and Wisconsin alumni--who also coached within this network back in the day before he became an agent.  Marcus Jordan a part time Highland Parker--and a member of the Whitney Young state championship--played for Rising Stars.  Oh, so does Ben Brust.

George Marshall plays for former Whitney Young alum, Bobby Locke (and Westinghouse connection Chris Head before) as recruited by Moore.  Wisconsin connection #2.  btw, Marshall was an Irvin guy...so another degree of Bucky Shady under your definition.

Our Bucky friend is an agent for Dunnigan--a Mean Streets alum..and the NCAA is reportedly looking at Dunnigan and two other Mean Streets alums Josh Crittle and Matt Humphrey in the Oregon situation because an agent apparently became involved in some "shady" dealings with them, trying to package them for $$.  More to come, but Crittle wound up at, surprise, Central Florida with Jordan.  You can read up on the Oregon situation here:

http://www.wildwestsports.com/Discussion/Board/Basketball/Post/View/1035134/oregon-self-reporting-infractions-to-the-ncaa

This said agent has a client list that includes Badgers Krabby, JBo, Stiemsma, etc.  He also seems to have a record of employing Wisconsin hoops players going back into the 1990's as pointed out before.  

So...you asked how he was connected to Wisconsin.  A lot of coincidences?  Or just making "connections" for Bo and himself?  

With all those connections Bo can't wait to start to finally gaining some benefit from them. None of those kids ended up playing for Bo as far as I can tell.

dennycrane

• Starter
Any correlation between the Wisconsin Playground Warriors switching shoe company sponsorships to Adidas recently and Ritchie Davis making glowing comments in the Madison newspaper about Bo Ryan's recruiting tenacity for Playground Warrior players J.P Tokoto and Bronson Koenig?  Remember, Wisconsin is an Adidas sponsored program also and Bo Ryan has had some success, putting it mildly with recruiting Playground Warrior players including Trevon Hughes, J.P. Gavinski, Brian Butch, Greg Stiemsma, Keaton Nankivil, Tim Jarmusz, Evan Anderson and a verbal from current player Sam Dekker.

I put that comment in italicized print to illustrate what kind of comment would be put on a Badger board if the Marquette program had similar success recruiting an AAU programs players.  

Do I believe Ritchie is playing favorites with Wisconsin and that he was helped by Wisconsin in securing his Adidas sponsorship?  I have no proof of that because I am not involved in any recruiting discussions and have no idea what was involved with the Nike to Adidas switch.  I'd rather side with the thought that everything is on the up and up with Ritchie and Bo Ryan because I believe in innocence before I have absolute proof of guilt.

Read somewhere that Tokoto is leaving the Playground Warriors to play with the Nike Mean Streets program out of Chicago. If true it would not be a huge surprise to some.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
With all those connections Bo can't wait to start to finally gaining some benefit from them. None of those kids ended up playing for Bo as far as I can tell.

Little confused as Brust is on the roster this year and Marshall is signed for next by Bo.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Read somewhere that Tokoto is leaving the Playground Warriors to play with the Nike Mean Streets program out of Chicago. If true it would not be a huge surprise to some.

Es la verdad

http://twitter.com/#!/CrackedSidewlks/status/28367758366

in_lazar_we_trust

• Walk-On
Also...Regarding UW/Bo/AAU programs.  Anyone ever hear of the Wisconsin SWING Program? I'm willing to bet you have.  Anyone have any idea how that program got started? Here is a nice rundown of what happened:

http://marquette.scout.com/2/297634.html 

Bo had the genius idea to have a former player start the program, and have his son, Will Ryan, coach it. At the time, Will Ryan was also the Video Coordinator for UW basketball. Needless to say, the NCAA stepped in...

It is my understanding that the WI Swing program has become pretty successful. In fact, I have a friend who coaches the 15U team.

The former player who started the program, Dana MacKenzie, is a person I've known for a long time. Was a sub. gym teacher while I was in grade school, an alumnus of my HS (Coach Zwetler also ran the "swing"), and now is the HC at Waunakee (think he is still there).

Born and raised in Madison, went to Marquette. Look, I hate badger bball as much as the next person (from grades 4 thru senior year in HS I ran the swing, its burned in my brain) but to insinuate that MacKenzie is "feeding" players to Bo is a little over-reaching, IMO.

steve bodovinac

• Walk-On

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
I find it amusing that many seem to think AAU coaches are always dirty, and that a player's family would never be the ones guided by the almighty $.

dennycrane

• Starter
Little confused as Brust is on the roster this year and Marshall is signed for next by Bo.

And? Wisconsin is not allowed to sign players? Don't understand what this has to do with Nadisch?

dennycrane

• Starter
I find it amusing that many seem to think AAU coaches are always dirty, and that a player's family would never be the ones guided by the almighty $.

I don't believe all aau teams are dirty. It just happens that some knowledgeable people tell me that Mac Irvin is one of those teams that is.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
And? Wisconsin is not allowed to sign players? Don't understand what this has to do with Nadisch?

Saint Bo can sign whomever he wants.  I am countering your whisper campaign with how his network connections actually work for UW.  First, Howard Moore played in the same AAU circles you claim are "shady" -- even signing a player from the Fire.  I laid out the Highland Park connections which includes UW athlete jobs, agents and in securing Brust--and we haven't even touched on the ugly double appeal on his release from Iowa (led by Weinstein) that the Badgers mysteriously had such a moral interest in due to the injustice--and just happened to sign him right after his second appeal.  MU1104 brought up other "shady" UW-AAU connections. 

We get it--it is a "shady" business...and we now also get that UW plays in that sandbox too. Well, to me anyway it is clear, but to you Badgers, apparently you all don't "understand" the six degrees of UW shadiness through your red colored glasses. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Not to get the thread back on topic, but does anyone know how long it takes to get ACT results back these days? Is it something where you wait a few weeks, or is Shaw likely to know in the next couple days?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muarmy81

• All American
Thanks brewcity...yes, back on topic.  Somebody mentioned awhile ago that shaw may make a decision shortly after his visit to illinois this weekend...any word on his visit this weekend or if he will make a decision before the end of the NOV signing period?

GGGG

• All American
Not to get the thread back on topic, but does anyone know how long it takes to get ACT results back these days? Is it something where you wait a few weeks, or is Shaw likely to know in the next couple days?

http://www.actstudent.org/scores/early/

In short, it depends on if he took the ACT plus writing, which I doubt he did.  But basically sometime between the end of September and the beginning of November.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Also, I saw that former Cincinnati Reds star Barry Larkin's son Shane committed to DePaul this week. Seems like a pretty big signing for them, he's rated as a top 100 player by both ESPN (#98) and Rivals (#62), while Scout has him as a 3-star. But what I noticed is that with the addition of Larkin, DePaul now has three 2011 commits with Macari Brooks and Jamie Crockett, but only two scholarship players graduating -- Mike Stovall and Mario Stula (Jimmy Drew is a walk-on). This may end their pursuit of Shaw, leaving us and Illinois as the only real suitors (unless WVU is back in the picture).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marquette84

• All American
Also, I saw that former Cincinnati Reds star Barry Larkin's son Shane committed to DePaul this week. Seems like a pretty big signing for them, he's rated as a top 100 player by both ESPN (#98) and Rivals (#62), while Scout has him as a 3-star. But what I noticed is that with the addition of Larkin, DePaul now has three 2011 commits with Macari Brooks and Jamie Crockett, but only two scholarship players graduating -- Mike Stovall and Mario Stula (Jimmy Drew is a walk-on). This may end their pursuit of Shaw, leaving us and Illinois as the only real suitors (unless WVU is back in the picture).

Highly doubtful.  

The returning players on DePaul's roster have led to two straight 16th place finishes. If Purnell has a chance to land Shaw, he will not hesitate to choose not the renew the scholarship of one of Wainwright's holdovers.

Its wishful thinking that DePaul will back off of Shaw because of their scholarship situation.

dennycrane

• Starter
Saint Bo can sign whomever he wants.  I am countering your whisper campaign with how his network connections actually work for UW.  First, Howard Moore played in the same AAU circles you claim are "shady" -- even signing a player from the Fire.  I laid out the Highland Park connections which includes UW athlete jobs, agents and in securing Brust--and we haven't even touched on the ugly double appeal on his release from Iowa (led by Weinstein) that the Badgers mysteriously had such a moral interest in due to the injustice--and just happened to sign him right after his second appeal.  MU1104 brought up other "shady" UW-AAU connections. 

We get it--it is a "shady" business...and we now also get that UW plays in that sandbox too. Well, to me anyway it is clear, but to you Badgers, apparently you all don't "understand" the six degrees of UW shadiness through your red colored glasses. 

I have never heard anything shady about the Rising Stars program. I suppose it is possible but that is not who my connections talk about when it comes to problems with aau programs.

I don't know who Howard Moore played aau ball for in the late 80's.

Marshall and Henry left the Fire program after committing to UW and Illinois respectively. That is not a coincidence. The Irvin's continued to shop their services even though they were not in control of either players recruitment.

If you are judging programs by who their coaches may know none will come out looking very good. The guys Buzz Williams coached for were not all angels. I doubt any coach would stand up to your loose association standards. Most are meaningless. I believe legitimate jobs are provided by supporters at most programs. It is when the jobs are not legitimate there is a problem.

Back to my original post. There is little doubt in my mind or most who are connected with the Chicago basketball scene that the Irvin's program is a little shady. The problem is not with recruiting kids from that program. The problem as I suggested is when that aau programs intentions may be in conflict with that of the recruits family.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
"Will the Mike Shaw recruitment come to a close anytime soon?
HOOPS REPORT: In a word, yes. There has been way too much drama and debate surrounding this one, including plenty of misinformation due mostly to media and internet buildup and unfair assumptions about the kid and his recruitment. Has there been enough analysis yet? Though there have been some twists and turns, the Hoops Report believes the Shaw Sweepstakes will come to a close much sooner than later. The Hoops Report has felt Illinois was the team to beat for Shaw and it will stick with that belief."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/2010/10/recruiting_q_a.html

And Illini Loyalty board on his visit...

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=13742

GOMU1104

• All American
George Marshall continued to play for the Mac Irvin Fire during the AAU season this past summer. That is...until he decided to quit in the middle of a game that they were losing.

dennycrane

• Starter
George Marshall continued to play for the Mac Irvin Fire during the AAU season this past summer. That is...until he decided to quit in the middle of a game that they were losing.

That was an internet rumor that ended up being untrue.

GOMU1104

• All American
That was an internet rumor that ended up being untrue.

So he DID still continue to play for the Fire?  Remember, you said:

Marshall and Henry left the Fire program after committing to UW and Illinois respectively.

Which one is it?

From an article on BadgerNation.com, dated May 8:

"Whether it is late-night sessions by himself or spending time with the Mac Irvin Fire...That notion of ball security was instilled in him with his time on the AAU circuit with the Mac Irvin Fire, a team chalked full of talent. It’s been so beneficial to his development that Marshall, sidelined the last two weeks with a minor injury, is counting the days until he can rejoin the team at the Rookies Invitational in Houston next weekend"

He also played with the Fire during the Nike EYBL events in June and July.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:34:20 AM by GOMU1104 »