Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE thinking about adding TCU  (Read 9886 times)

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
BE thinking about adding TCU
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:05:18 PM »
Regardless of whether or not this is a stunt to pressure Nova to join, it's the best idea ive heard come out of Providence in awhile. I hope it happens.

Having survived the most recent wave of expansion intact, the Big East Conference is studying ways to bolster its position and has targeted TCU as very attractive candidate to help strengthen its football league, The Post has learned.

“We are in a situation that requires us to evaluate and analyze all our options including expansion and television," said a source close to the league who requested anonymity. “There are a dozen or so schools that we’re looking at."

Two sources said the TCU discussion developed recently. The school’s tradition, academics and recent success have lifted the university’s profile. TCU (4-0) is ranked fifth in the polls and many believe it is currently the best team in Texas.

One source stressed that there have been no meetings among Big East presidents or ADs to discuss membership. But that source also said expansion has altered the way conferences think. The fact that TCU hardly matches the Big East footprint is a tertiary concern.

“It’s a good program in a good market,’’ said the source. “That’s what you look for.’’

TCU is a member of the Mountain West Conference, which recently lost Utah to the Pac 10. There was intense speculation that TCU would move to the Big XII when that conference lost Nebraska to the Big Ten and Colorado to the Pac 10, which also almost lured Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State..

TCU officials, attending to their weekly football media obligations, did not immediately return calls.

It’s almost a foregone conclusion that the Big Ten and Pac 10 are not done expanding, which puts the Western Athletic Conference and the Mountain West in a precipitous position. Many thought TCU would jump to the Big XII when Colorado left but that league also is vulnerable.

So as far-fetched as a Big East-TCU union might have seemed just three years ago, the landscape is changing at warp speed. The eight football playing members in the Big East strongly desire a ninth program for scheduling purposes.

Villanova, already in the league for basketball, previously was mentioned as a possible addition for football.

“It’s always been our policy never to comment on individual schools when talking about membership,’’ John Paquette, the Big East’s associate commissioner for communications, told The Post.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/big_east_has_interest_in_tcu_6GTZTxC9I2fssdAib7x6KK#ixzz10s7iSxhs

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: BE thinking about adding TCU
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »
Beautiful.  Several posters here said the same thing, makes a ton of sense.  I'd add another Texas school at the same time....Houston. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »
I think that adding Houston and TCU are good for football and basketball.  Particularly for MU, it gets Buzz face time in his neighborhood for recruiting.

However, are the other sports really ready to stretch even further?  Does MU girl's soccer have the resources to have away games at Seton Hall, South Florida, and now TCU?  Is this a good thing for student athletes to miss more classes due to travel? 

The football revenue might cover the costs for the non-money-making sports, but it is costly. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:40:17 PM »
I think that adding Houston and TCU are good for football and basketball.  Particularly for MU, it gets Buzz face time in his neighborhood for recruiting.

However, are the other sports really ready to stretch even further?  Does MU girl's soccer have the resources to have away games at Seton Hall, South Florida, and now TCU?  Is this a good thing for student athletes to miss more classes due to travel? 

The football revenue might cover the costs for the non-money-making sports, but it is costly. 

Is it really that much costly to travel to Texas rather than New York?  It certainly isn't more costly for TCU to be a member of the BE than the MWC.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:41:53 PM »
Cal will eliminate its baseball, men's and women's gymnastics and women's lacrosse teams after this year and will stop fully funding the men's rugby team.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_16199977

I wonder if expansion may lead to cuts of sports programs due to the financial constraints (which may not negate the overall benefits to the conference).
SS Marquette

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »

Is it really that much costly to travel to Texas rather than New York?  It certainly isn't more costly for TCU to be a member of the BE than the MWC.

We've already been conference mates with TCU in Conference USA back in 2003/2004.  Time out of school is/should be the last consideration at this point in Division 1 athletics.  I mean we aren't talking a week at a time to go play a game in Texas or NY.  At most you miss 2 class days - at most.  TCU would be a HUGE coup for the Big East.  I doubt it happens though - TCU wants to be a part of the rivalary of the the other Texas universities...they would get a TON more exposure locally and nationally when playing Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and even Baylor.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:46:14 PM »
We've already been conference mates with TCU in Conference USA back in 2003/2004.  Time out of school is/should be the last consideration at this point in Division 1 athletics.  I mean we aren't talking a week at a time to go play a game in Texas or NY.  At most you miss 2 class days - at most.  TCU would be a HUGE coup for the Big East.  I doubt it happens though - TCU wants to be a part of the rivalary of the the other Texas universities...they would get a TON more exposure locally and nationally when playing Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and even Baylor.

True, but there is no room at the inn right now for TCU with those schools.  Now, if the Big 12 had blown up like it was going to until ESPN bailed them out, then the possibility existed for TCU, Houston, etc to become part of the old Big 12 or some sort of expanded SEC.

The Big East badly needs a solid football program and TCU badly needs a BCS conference.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:01:29 AM »
I don't see how TCU and Houston could come in as basketball-playing members; an 18-team league is too big. Lenn Robbins of The N.Y. Post told me years ago the league would split up after five years, and it appears he may be right (if off by a couple of years). Where this leave the basketball-only schools, who knows?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:09:46 AM »
Cal will eliminate its baseball, men's and women's gymnastics and women's lacrosse teams after this year and will stop fully funding the men's rugby team.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_16199977

I wonder if expansion may lead to cuts of sports programs due to the financial constraints (which may not negate the overall benefits to the conference).

Well, there is going to be a lot of pressure to cut non-revenue sports for the sake of revenue sports.  I was in Madison when UW cut baseball, and outside of a few loud voices, no one really cares.  If this means more money for Cal football and basketball, than it is a good move.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »
I didn't like when TCU and Houston when they were in Conf. USA with Marquette. They will not add anything to the Big East for basketball.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:52:40 AM »
I didn't like when TCU and Houston when they were in Conf. USA with Marquette. They will not add anything to the Big East for basketball.

Does the Big East NEED more good basketball schools? Its the ineptitude on the football side that is going to cause the conference to fall apart.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »

The issue in college athletics now is that FOOTBALL drives everything.  Decisions aren't made based on the value a program's basketball team can bring to a conference.  In all the talks of the Big 12 disbanding..Kansas was going to be left out.  Kansas is a marquee name in college basketball...but nobody really cared.  Landing TCU/Houston for the Big East would be huge to the survival of the conference.  Getting into Texas would be good for the Big East.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »
Regardless of whether or not this is a stunt to pressure Nova to join, it's the best idea ive heard come out of Providence in awhile. I hope it happens.

I found this interesting. Can anyone explain why Nova is reluctant (if indeed they are) to join Big East football? Is it the cost of the conversion?

I think TCU would be a great addition. They would instantly bump up the BE's football credibility, and I don't see why their basketball program wouldn't develop in coming years with all the talent in Texas and the opportunity to play in the BE.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 11:02:24 AM »
I don't see how TCU and Houston could come in as basketball-playing members; an 18-team league is too big. Lenn Robbins of The N.Y. Post told me years ago the league would split up after five years, and it appears he may be right (if off by a couple of years). Where this leave the basketball-only schools, who knows?

Agreed, its dying in front of us. Though, I for one think splitting into divisions would be pretty cool. So if they add 2 football schools to go to 18 teams, split into 3 divisions of 6 teams.

If they add more, say 2 extra basketball schools or 4 total football schools ( I have a hard time thinking the the basketball schools will allow the balance to get too far out of whack), the conference could have 4 divisions of 5 teams, and would help traveling expenses.  I think it would be pretty cool, and would build regional rivalries better, playing the 4 other teams in your divisions twice.

Marquette
DePaul
Louisville
Cincinnati
Notre Dame

TCU
Houston
Memphis
South Florida
Central Florida

Connecticut
Syracuse
Providence
St. John's
Rutgers

Georgetown
Villanova
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Seton Hall
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »
I found this interesting. Can anyone explain why Nova is reluctant (if indeed they are) to join Big East football? Is it the cost of the conversion?

I think TCU would be a great addition. They would instantly bump up the BE's football credibility, and I don't see why their basketball program wouldn't develop in coming years with all the talent in Texas and the opportunity to play in the BE.

I think its not just the cost but their ability to actually stay competitive and draw fans. I forgot some of the numbers Ive seen, but they may have a hard time getting 25,000 into a stadium,, much less finding an appropriate one. A lot of it has to do with whether they think they can maintain a football team well enough overtime.

They also are having a pretty fun time being good in FCS....an FCS team would've been nice for Marquette.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
Agreed, its dying in front of us. Though, I for one think splitting into divisions would be pretty cool. So if they add 2 football schools to go to 18 teams, split into 3 divisions of 6 teams.

If they add more, say 2 extra basketball schools or 4 total football schools ( I have a hard time thinking the the basketball schools will allow the balance to get too far out of whack), the conference could have 4 divisions of 5 teams, and would help traveling expenses.  I think it would be pretty cool, and would build regional rivalries better, playing the 4 other teams in your divisions twice.

Marquette
DePaul
Louisville
Cincinnati
Notre Dame

TCU
Houston
Memphis
South Florida
Central Florida

Connecticut
Syracuse
Providence
St. John's
Rutgers

Georgetown
Villanova
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Seton Hall

listening to NY radio this morning, most were of the opinion that the football schools would split from the conference if Nova doesnt want FBS status. Assuming Nova says no, the football schools will aggressively pursue two teams to get to 10 and form their own conference. Or, they will just add 1 (maybe TCU) and wait to see what happens with the B12. If KU and Kstate find themselves without a conference again, the football schools will add them. When people start brain-storning about a new conference name, a split seems inevitable (The All-American Conference was the favorite name).

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »
listening to NY radio this morning, most were of the opinion that the football schools would split from the conference if Nova doesnt want FBS status. Assuming Nova says no, the football schools will aggressively pursue two teams to get to 10 and form their own conference. Or, they will just add 1 (maybe TCU) and wait to see what happens with the B12. If KU and Kstate find themselves without a conference again, the football schools will add them. When people start brain-storning about a new conference name, a split seems inevitable (The All-American Conference was the favorite name).

Someone please explain why the football schools breaking away is a good idea.  With exception of USF and maybe WVU, every full-member in the Big East is a basketball-first school.  Who cares if you have 18 basketball teams... create divisions and be happy about it.

If you keep everyone intact, a Big East Network is at least a possibility in the near future.  If you split off, good luck.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »

The cost is more and they need to add seats to the stadium.

Look at Western Kentucky, a strong school in I-AA and now can't even win a game in I-A
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
The issue in college athletics now is that FOOTBALL drives everything.  Decisions aren't made based on the value a program's basketball team can bring to a conference.  In all the talks of the Big 12 disbanding..Kansas was going to be left out.  Kansas is a marquee name in college basketball...but nobody really cared.  Landing TCU/Houston for the Big East would be huge to the survival of the conference.  Getting into Texas would be good for the Big East.
As a college footbal fan who has 2 HD tv's in my man room and watches 14 hours of football on Saturday, yes I know football drive the bus.

Some were talking about it on a basketball side.
-Bill Walton

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »
Someone please explain why the football schools breaking away is a good idea.  With exception of USF and maybe WVU, every full-member in the Big East is a basketball-first school.  Who cares if you have 18 basketball teams... create divisions and be happy about it.

If you keep everyone intact, a Big East Network is at least a possibility in the near future.  If you split off, good luck.

+1, though it is inevitable. I say just screw it, add 4 football teams and 4 basketball teams (to keep the voting balance) and go to a 6 division conference with 2 leagues.

Alas, it won't happen, but would be pretty cool.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
I doubt it happens though - TCU wants to be a part of the rivalary of the the other Texas universities...they would get a TON more exposure locally and nationally when playing Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and even Baylor.

Who is to say those schools want a 'rivalry' with TCU?  They had it for 50 years ... and there was no rivalry.  With any of them.  If A&M moves it won't be to be in the league with TCU. Same with Texas and Tech. Screw Baylor
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:41:10 AM by NYWarrior »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 12:14:30 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 01:37:09 PM »

It's not a basketball debate....basketball is a gnat on an elephant's arse compared to football.  If the Big East conference is to stay together, football has to improve.  Otherwise there will be a breakup.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 01:42:03 PM »
Agree 100% with The Big Lead's take on this

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/09/29/the-big-east-considering-tcu-speaks-of-its-desperation/

Yup, it is a sign of desperation but one of the smarter moves they can make.  TCU and Boise both want a BCS bid and the Big East has one, whether they deserve it or not is another matter, but they do have it.

The interesting thing for me has been that Va Tech, Miami and BC leaving the Big East in football was a killer for the football side, but those three programs haven't exactly been benefactors themselves by going to the ACC.  It has become a lose lose for everyone, but probably a bigger loss for the Big East than those 3 schools.

Miami and Va Tech had a chance to play for the national title almost every year by staying in the Big East and plowing through that schedule.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »
would the BE have any chance at stealing the Eastern teams out of the Big 12 as it slowly bleeds to death?

Kansas and Mizzou come immediately to mind as teams that might be willing to listen, particularly after being left at the altar by the Big 10. 

(sorry if this is totally ignorant of a major fact or two, just brainstorming)

feedback