Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Yahoo Preseason Power Rankings  (Read 6196 times)

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Yahoo Preseason Power Rankings
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-hooppower092110

More of a conference by conference breakdown of who will make the tournament.

Includes MU as one of 5 Big East teams that will definitely be in.

"Marquette’s Buzz Williams is one of the top coaches in the country, so expect the Golden Eagles to be back in the NCAA tournament."

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Re: Yahoo Preseason Power Rankings
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:13:47 AM »
I don't like reading into preseason lists and hype but it feels good to get mentioned.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:33:03 AM »
Buzz is really getting a lot of respect from the media - already mentioned as "one of the top coaches in the country," after only 2 seasons at the helm?  I wish the pre-mature judgements as to the merits of him as a coach would end - all of us here know it takes 5 years to evaluate a coach.  (Yet we see many cases where coaches get fired within 2 or 3 seasons on the job.)

Was nice to see Mac Irvin state about Buzz "In Marquette you have Buzz Williams one of the up and coming great coaches in the game.  With Buzz he gets the most out of his players."

Keep up the GREAT work Buzz!

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »
I really wish A site like rivals would have it's writers talk to each other. In their big east preview a couple of week Jeff Eisenberg of rivals picked georgetown to finish 4th and Austin Freeman as BE POY then this week. Jason king says we're a bubble team and have no stars.  It's just amusing to me. Bubble team, sure arguable. But to say we have no stars is just ignorant when we have 2 of the better players in the big east. I mean if chris wright and Austin Freeman aren't stars, then who is?

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »
I really wish A site like rivals would have it's writers talk to each other. In their big east preview a couple of week Jeff Eisenberg of rivals picked georgetown to finish 4th and Austin Freeman as BE POY then this week. Jason king says we're a bubble team and have no stars.  It's just amusing to me. Bubble team, sure arguable. But to say we have no stars is just ignorant when we have 2 of the better players in the big east. I mean if chris wright and Austin Freeman aren't stars, then who is?

Jimmy f'n Butler.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:40:06 PM »
Who cares if the writers disagree? Isn't that the point of having more than one writer?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 02:04:57 PM »

Agree that Freeman and Wright are two of the top players in the conference...but will offer that Darius Johnson Odom is right there as well.  I'd be shocked if DJO doesn't average 18-21ppg this year.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:14:55 PM »
Who cares if the writers disagree? Isn't that the point of having more than one writer?
Depends on how it's presented.  If it's like ESPN's power rankings where they show side-by-side rankings from different writers/prognosticators, that's one thing, but I know I've seen a Yahoo/Rivals article in the past where a team (Louisville?) was picked to win the conference in the sidebar but picked 4th or 5th in the 1-16 ranking within the article.  Different writers penning different parts of the same article, which is really confusing to the reader.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »
I'm just saying when one writer is writing about all the conferences you think he's talk to the people who write the individual conference previews. Generally the person who's more focused knows more about the league. It's fine for reasonable people to disagree about certain things, but it just makes Jason King look dumb when one of his colleagues names a player POY  in a conference preview and then he goes on to say the team has no stars.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »
Jimmy f'n Butler.

hell yeah!  my guy, Jimmy F*ckin Butler.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »
I'm just saying when one writer is writing about all the conferences you think he's talk to the people who write the individual conference previews. Generally the person who's more focused knows more about the league. It's fine for reasonable people to disagree about certain things, but it just makes Jason King look dumb when one of his colleagues names a player POY  in a conference preview and then he goes on to say the team has no stars.

It depends on what he means by stars, though.  I'd contend that while MU and GTown have exceptionally talented players neither of us have nationally recognizable names on our teams.  From the national perspective, then, we're both lacking stars.

Flying under the radar nationally isn't always a bad thing :)

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:53:59 PM »
It depends on what he means by stars, though.  I'd contend that while MU and GTown have exceptionally talented players neither of us have nationally recognizable names on our teams.  From the national perspective, then, we're both lacking stars.

Flying under the radar nationally isn't always a bad thing :)

So who are the *stars* this year in the conference...that receive national recognition?

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 08:20:11 PM »
Well Austin Freeman was on Sporting News All American 5th team along with Lazar last year and is one of the names always brought up when talking about preseason big east player of the year so I think he has plenty of national buzz. 

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »
Well Austin Freeman was on Sporting News All American 5th team along with Lazar last year and is one of the names always brought up when talking about preseason big east player of the year so I think he has plenty of national buzz. 

Meh. When I think of players that garner national attention, I think of players that are candidates for national POY, not BE POY. Quick, who was the pac10 POY? I guess my point is that since BE poy is so wide open, the conference doesn't have a nationally acclaimed player this year. first time I can think of in awhile that this is the case...at this point in the 'season'.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »
I guess I disagree. The big east is one of if not the best basketball conference in the country. If you're a star in the big east you're a national star. Austin Freeman will be a national star as will the best player on any team in the top half of the big east. If Georgetown has a good year then Freeman will at least be 2nd team all American.

And I actually knew right away that Cal's Randle was the Pac10 player of the year, but that's also a bad example since the Pac10 was terrible last year and most people on the east coast don't get to see their games since they're not on television as much as the big east is.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »
Austin Freeman will be a national star as will the best player on any team in the top half of the big east.

The "will be" is telling here.

This is just my personal opinion, though.  Whether he's a recognizable name or not right now is moot.  I think we both agree that he'll be an outstanding asset to the Hoyas this year.

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »
Always prefer to be underrated, espescially in preseason.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »
So GGG and Hoya are disagreeing in this thread.  I guess it's time to start SUScoop and GUScoop.  Glad to have some other school's fans checking in though.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 11:56:38 AM »
Blue Ribbon All-American Teams   for the upcoming year.
2nd team
Austin Freeman, Georgetown

3rd Team
Ashton Gibbs, Pitt
Kemba Walker, UCONN

feedback