[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Gold revisited  (Read 37375 times)

TomW1365

• Team Captain
Marquette Gold revisited
« on: September 20, 2010, 09:20:53 AM »
I ran across this Dwyane Wade link on Youtube today and got a kick out of it.  For all the things that Fr Wild and the board of trustees did right over the last 10-15 years, they sure did screw the pooch on this one.  I'm still in disbelief that they thought it was a good idea to change Marquette's mascot to Gold.  The only good that would have come of it was that we'd be an answer to a trivia question.  
What college division one schools have mascots that don't end in the letter s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcrEl_r8xEE

There are so many things about this picture that make me laugh...

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:25:58 AM by TomW1365 »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Marquette Gold revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:28:55 AM »
I ran across this Dwyane Wade link on Youtube today and got a kick out of it.  For all the things that Fr Wild and the board of trustees did right over the last 10-15 years, they sure did screw the pooch on this one.  I'm still in disbelief that they thought it was a good idea to change Marquette's mascot to Gold.  The only good that would have come of it was that we'd be an answer to a trivia question.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcrEl_r8xEE

There are so many things about this picture that make me laugh...

The dude with the t-shirt tucked into his black dress pants is my favorite part of the picture.

Hopefully we can get some conspiracy theory posters on here who can tell us that they changed the name to Gold so that in the re-vote, Golden Eagles would seem so bad.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »
You would have thought that picture was taken in 1987!  A friend of mine is the guy in the backwards hat who is laughing in the background... I'm not sure if he's laughing at the nickname or the three dingle-berries who's lives were crushed by that announcement.
Dwyane Wade's reaction is priceless.... I think we all felt the same way.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:38:08 AM »
The dude with the t-shirt tucked into his black dress pants is my favorite part of the picture.

Hopefully we can get some conspiracy theory posters on here who can tell us that they changed the name to Gold so that in the re-vote, Golden Eagles would seem so bad.

Or how the administration threw out all the votes for Warrior in '94.  ( Warrior was the clear winner)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »
Gold was Crean's idea. It is an absolute, ironclad fact.

Even with that knowledge, I'd rather be Gold than Golden Eagles.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:40:35 AM »
is that Peter Brady?

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48:19 AM »
Some times people like Tom Crean are so advanced in their thinking and so revolutionary in their ideas that simple common folk cannot comprehend their brilliance.  Genius types, such as Galileo and Einstein, often faced ridicule and resentment until decades later when people began to understand their brilliance.

You, me, Shaq, DWade and the dorks in the photo have no comprehension for Tom Creans brilliance.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
Gold was Crean's idea. It is an absolute, ironclad fact.

Even with that knowledge, I'd rather be Gold than Golden Eagles.

I didn't know that it was Crean's idea let alone an absolute, ironclad fact...
I for one am alright with keeping Golden Eagles over Gold.  

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:56:54 AM »
I know no one will agree with me on this....but Id rather have Gold than Golden Eagles simply for the fact that we arent a copy of 20 other team's mascots. I think its a stupid nickname (Syracuse gets away with Orange btw), but renaming your mascot/nickname after other schools' is just as bad - is it really that hard to think of something different or orignal, especially when half of all colleges have the mascots bulldogs, wildcats, tigers and golden eagles?  At least they put effort into it, it was still a poor effort, but at least they tried to think outside of the box for once.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 10:09:21 AM »
I know no one will agree with me on this....but Id rather have Gold than Golden Eagles simply for the fact that we arent a copy of 20 other team's mascots. I think its a stupid nickname (Syracuse gets away with Orange btw), but renaming your mascot/nickname after other schools' is just as bad - is it really that hard to think of something different or orignal, especially when half of all colleges have the mascots bulldogs, wildcats, tigers and golden eagles?  At least they put effort into it, it was still a poor effort, but at least they tried to think outside of the box for once.

I would to. The problem with the whole thing was it was set up that you could vote for Warriors. Gold was such a let down compared to going back to Warriors that the back lash was tremendous. Then the administative said we would just stay with Golden Eagles. There is no question that we would prefer Warriors to anything. The question that was not answered was whether the fan base would prefer Gold to Golden Eagles. They totally screwed that one up. They should have let the fans vote between Golden Eagles, Gold and maybe one other choice, excluding Warriors instead of just defaulting back to Golden Eagles. All they did was waste the fans' time and piss them off.

Villacats

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 10:11:17 AM »
It was a shame, could have been the greatest college mascot ever...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 10:18:29 AM »

Amen to that.  I was ready to pull out my old roller skates, paint them gold, and get a jersey customized with "Goldiewang" on the back.

But then, I probably wouldn't be married today if not for the failure (or genius) of the Golden Eagle-to-Gold campaign.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 10:25:51 AM »
I totally would have been cool with Marquette Gold if we had some Warrior imagery.

So, I agree with Aughnanure.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 10:54:50 AM »
I would to. The problem with the whole thing was it was set up that you could vote for Warriors. Gold was such a let down compared to going back to Warriors that the back lash was tremendous. Then the administative said we would just stay with Golden Eagles. There is no question that we would prefer Warriors to anything. The question that was not answered was whether the fan base would prefer Gold to Golden Eagles. They totally screwed that one up. They should have let the fans vote between Golden Eagles, Gold and maybe one other choice, excluding Warriors instead of just defaulting back to Golden Eagles. All they did was waste the fans' time and piss them off.

They eventually did have a vote and Golden Eagles won. They also told voters than any write-ins for Warriors would not be counted...and then they counted the Warriors write-ins and told us that it finished well behind Golden Eagles. If Warriors actually was a choice, I have a feeling the results would have been very different.

My one and only "source" heard rumors that they toyed with the idea of becoming the Golden Warriors, obviously dropping any Native American imagery. However, some thought the imagery would still be there and others claimed it sounded too similar to Golden State Warriors.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:04:33 AM by MerrittsMustache »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 11:01:29 AM »
Gold vs Golden Eagles is just a game of "would you rather"

At least with Gold we could have used Bricky the mascot.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »
I thought Gold wasn't that bad, and definitely would have preferred it to Golden Eagles, but that's not saying much since GE's sets the bar pretty low.  The problem was everyone was geared up for a glorious return to Warriors and then Gold came out of left-field.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 11:09:17 AM »
Makes the eagle look like a bitch.  Sorry TT.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 11:14:29 AM »
I thought Gold wasn't that bad, and definitely would have preferred it to Golden Eagles, but that's not saying much since GE's sets the bar pretty low.  The problem was everyone was geared up for a glorious return to Warriors and then Gold came out of left-field.

They shouldn't have publicly began the process if they were going to give the Indians veto power, like they did. It turned out to be a giant waste of time and created more bad feelings than it needed to.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 11:31:35 AM »

Here are your Marquette Gold' n Showers.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »
I always thought going back to Hilltoppers would have been the least objectionable.

It has some historic connection to the school, and outside of Western Kentucky, I can't think of another school that uses it.

Oh well.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »

Harvard Crimson, Sycracuse Orange, Stanford Cardinal (color not bird)

Its not THAT common, but it happens. Not defending Gold, just stating fact.

The picture is hilarious. I was a sophomore that year. While most people were for warriors (including myself), we didn't really do the whole protest thing. The most vocal part of the Warrior crowd seemed like a bunch of dorks. They organized the rally and Students for Warriors organization and dressed like this. Sorry if I offended anyone in that crowd, I'm sure not all of you were like that. But that was the impression we all got.

Also, Hilltoppers would have been cool. Don't know why that wasn't seriously considered back in 1994...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:40:30 AM by Victor McCormick »

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
Golden Eagles is relatively generic. It doesn't help that it looks like the same guy does the artwork for ALL the schools w/ that mascot. I refuse to buy anything MU affiliated that has a bird on it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
I also prefer Gold just for the originality factor, but given how pissed everyone was at the administration, the chances of Gold making it through the vote in real time was about 0%. The most ironic thing about it all was that in some weird way, revoting for Golden Eagles was like sticking it to the man, because it was the administration that had given us Gold in the first place.  

Putting aside Warriors for a minute, one name that I was disappointed didn't get more attention was Golden Avalanche from the football days. I remember that it was what I voted for during the first vote (naturally hence my disappointment I guess). The only problem would be some sort of tasteful mascot/imagery.  Oh well.  And FWIW, there is a really cool Golden Avalanche faded T-shirt available in the spirit shop right now.  If I had a brain I would've bought more than one considering how much I wear it.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 12:03:50 PM »
Golden Avalanche or the Hilltoppers would have made everyone happy.  My 8 and 12 year old don't believe in Santa Claus, but they do still believe that our nickname is the Warriors. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:02 PM »
Golden Avalanche or the Hilltoppers would have made everyone happy.  My 8 and 12 year old don't believe in Santa Claus, but they do still believe that our nickname is the Warriors. 
Golden Avalanche or Hilltoppers would have been much less controversial than the crap they gave us in 1994.

Incidentally, the administration has admitted that they didn't want an Avalanche nickname because of the bar!! (You think the student section "naming" was on the up and up?)

I mean, really? A bar named after one of our original mascots is too controversial? Absolute BUFFOONS are on our BOTs. Buffoons.

feedback