[April 30, 2024, 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Gold revisited  (Read 37377 times)

redbirdwarrior

• Scholarship Player
Re: Marquette Gold revisited
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 02:15:58 PM »
Just so the history is correct, in '94 the university was set to announce the new nickname as the Lightning.  Shirts were designed and ordered.  The student body wanted to stick it to the BOT and administration and loud protests were heard.  As a face saving measure, the administration announced that a vote would be held between the Lightning and the runner-up recommended Golden Eagles.  Golden Eagles won in a landslide as students knew it was not the chosen thought.

So in some crazy way, Golden Eagles was twice the "stick it to the man" choice.  (I still wish that someone would just rename the damn chicken hawk Warrior, and return to the Warriors nickname without Indian imagery.  We could change the mascot later.)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 02:33:48 PM »
Hilltoppers was MU's first nickname. They don't have to be scared of going back to it because MUHS kept the nickname.

Hell, MU basically took BC's nickname. That should have been a bigger concern.

Not to mention Southern Mississippi's.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »
Not to mention Southern Mississippi's.

Yes, I just think BC is the most shocking because BC and MU are pretty similar schools, so it's insane that GE was given as an option.

Do you think ND would ever change their name to be more similar to another major Catholic school?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »
Yes, I just think BC is the most shocking because BC and MU are pretty similar schools, so it's insane that GE was given as an option.

Do you think ND would ever change their name to be more similar to another major Catholic school?
Bad example...Irish people are proud of their drunken stupidity  ;D

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
Just so the history is correct, in '94 the university was set to announce the new nickname as the Lightning.  Shirts were designed and ordered.  The student body wanted to stick it to the BOT and administration and loud protests were heard.  As a face saving measure, the administration announced that a vote would be held between the Lightning and the runner-up recommended Golden Eagles.  Golden Eagles won in a landslide as students knew it was not the chosen thought.

So in some crazy way, Golden Eagles was twice the "stick it to the man" choice.  (I still wish that someone would just rename the damn chicken hawk Warrior, and return to the Warriors nickname without Indian imagery.  We could change the mascot later.)

Good info, redbird.

Interesting to know that the nickname so many people hate was actually voted to be the nickname on two different occasions. Sounds similar to George W. Bush* - a lot of people hate him but he was still elected twice, in part because the other options were even less desirable  ;)

* - Please don't turn this into a political debate. I was merely pointing out what I thought to be an interesting comparison.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »

I guess I'd agree that choosing the same nickname as BC added to the insanity -  an insanity defined first and foremost by the idea that the nickname "Warriors" was in and of itself so insensitive (racist?) that it had to be dropped. It's no surprise to me that the very same people responsible for the death of the Warriors gave birth to the idea of the Golden Eagle.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »
I guess I'd agree that choosing the same nickname as BC added to the insanity -  an insanity defined first and foremost by the idea that the nickname "Warriors" was in and of itself so insensitive (racist?) that it had to be dropped. It's no surprise to me that the very same people responsible for the death of the Warriors gave birth to the idea of the Golden Eagle.

Since when is Boston College's nickname the Golden Eagles?   It's the Eagles, not Golden Eagles.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »
Since when is Boston College's nickname the Golden Eagles?   It's the Eagles, not Golden Eagles.

Oh, come on Donny, they were threatening castration! Are we gonna split hairs here?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2010, 10:06:59 PM »

You are correct, though BC's mascot has been a "golden eagle" since the nickname was adopted 90 years ago. Forty years of a stuffed "golden eagle" followed by 50 years of several live "golden eagles" suggests to me at least that they are those kind of eagles (golden ones). Anyway, thanks for setting me straight though I don't understand how it advances or even pertains to the discussion at hand.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »
I never refer to Marquette as the Golden Eagles.

It's not even that I'm mad about the Warriors thing, I just think the goddamned thing looks like a chicken. You'll never see me wearing anything with the chicken on it.

I also laugh inside whenever I see that stupid "Mean chicken" logo

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2010, 11:37:25 PM »
It's an unofficial mascot, put on by a student organization.

Per wikipedia:

The Stanford Tree is the unofficial mascot of Stanford University. Stanford's team name is "The Cardinal," referring to the vivid red color (not the common song bird as at several other schools), and the University has never been able to come up with an official mascot which adequately conveys the fierceness and sporting prowess it had hoped to symbolize with that particular shade of sanguine. This fact creates a void not typically found at schools with less-abstract symbols for their sports teams, and into this unfulfilled void the Stanford Band has insistently thrust what is one of the United States' most bizarre and controversial college mascots.[1] The tree regularly appears at the top of internet 'worst mascot' lists.[2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

There is a bit more history here.  When Stanford first dropped the nickname the Indians, they took up the temporary nickname, "Cardinals."  Some years later, there was a referendum on campus to choose a new nickname, and in typical irreverent Stanford style, the winner, in honor of the university's founder, was "Robber Barons."  Second was "Trees," which is not as crazy as it sounds, as the seal of Stanford university is an image of a California Sequoia.  Naturally, the administration did not get the joke, and the president declared that the university would stick with its temporary nickname, but drop the S at the end.  After all, Stanford is full of Ivy League types, and the Ivy League has a bunch of uninspiring nicknames and a couple of colors:  Harvard Crimson, Cornell Big Red, Dartmouth Big Green, (though they used to be Indians as well,) and Yale Elis.  So Stanford has a dumb nickname.  To their credit, the students and alumni are not whining about it two decades later.  They have just come up with a tree, just to make fun of the whole situation.  Maybe we can learn something from them. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »
You are correct, though BC's mascot has been a "golden eagle" since the nickname was adopted 90 years ago. Forty years of a stuffed "golden eagle" followed by 50 years of several live "golden eagles" suggests to me at least that they are those kind of eagles (golden ones). Anyway, thanks for setting me straight though I don't understand how it advances or even pertains to the discussion at hand.

Fairly simple.  One, I was trying to understand why people were saying Golden Eagles for BC when it's simply not, it's the Eagles.  Here this thread was about what a nickname would be and it seemed the facts should be presented properly.  Second, what their "mascot" happens to be is of no consequence since that is not their nickname.  Was Marquette the Blue Blueteauxs because that was our mascot?  Were we the Willie Wampums? Of course not.

Maybe I'm just here to "sabotage" your argument Lenny.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:35:45 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:07 AM »
Fairly simple.  One, I was trying to understand why people were saying Golden Eagles for BC when it's simply not, it's the Eagles.  Here this thread was about what a nickname would be and it seemed the facts should be presented properly.  Second, what their "mascot" happens to be is of no consequence since that is not their nickname.  Was Marquette the Blue Blueteauxs because that was our mascot?  Were we the Willie Wampums? Of course not.

Maybe I'm just here to "sabotage" your argument Lenny.  

Ladies, ladies.

Let's not start with the Chico's vs Lenny's stuff again.

I was the one who said the nickname was similar to BC, because, let's face it, it is. Golden Eagles vs Eagles is almost the same frackin' name.

I hate the idea that MU chose something so close to BC's name. Sounds like a cheap knock-off.

It's bad to have the exact same nickname as Southern Miss, but I think it's just as bad to have a name that is almost the same as a school MU does actually have a lot in common with.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »
There is a bit more history here.  When Stanford first dropped the nickname the Indians, they took up the temporary nickname, "Cardinals."  Some years later, there was a referendum on campus to choose a new nickname, and in typical irreverent Stanford style, the winner, in honor of the university's founder, was "Robber Barons."  Second was "Trees," which is not as crazy as it sounds, as the seal of Stanford university is an image of a California Sequoia.  

What an awesome nickname that would be.

Fun fact, Leland Stanford got his start practicing law in Port Washington.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:38:10 AM by JWags85 »

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »

Sorry that you remeber it that way redbird but you are absolutely 100% incorrect in what you beleive.  First of all "the student body wanted to stick it to the BOT"  are you serious>? this was primarily an alumni issue.  Second of all the vote went to Golden eagles becuase Lightning was so incredibly stupid.  Now a revionist historian might want to rewrite it as the "students sticking it to the man"  but it was actually much simpler than that. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »

First of all "the student body wanted to stick it to the BOT"  are you serious>? this was primarily an alumni issue. 

The students were overwhelmingly Warrior supporters in '94.  My understanding is that Warrior won the vote by a mile, but the votes were not counted.

redbirdwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2010, 01:32:53 PM »
Dimes:

Sorry, no revisionist history here.  Go to the Warrior Shop and ask anyone who was around when the vote happened.  They had Lighting stuff ordered.  As one of the students on campus at the time, we were all peeved that Warriors was going away.  It was the first time I ever swore about a priest.  Word leaked about the Lightning.  We weren't going to let the same people who took away the history of our beloved Warriors win.  We got the chance to vote and we did exactly opposite of what the administration wanted and voted for Golden Eagles.  Yes, many still voted Warriors, but those weren't counted.  Hence the statement that a name we all hated was a vote to stick it to those in power. 

Others may have had other reasons for their votes, but I know that that was the reason for the votes of everyone to whom I spoke.  I would love to have the Warriors back and still only wear Warriors Marquette shirts after the dumb survey and re-vote, but would love to have another Final 4 and Title more.  My last word on this.  Discuss amongst yourselves.  Enjoy...

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2010, 02:20:44 PM »
Go to the Warrior Shop and ask anyone who was around when the vote happened.  They had Lighting stuff ordered.

They have people at the shop that have been there for 16 years?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »
I still like my idea of the Marquette Inquisition.

Our Islamic friends might find it insensitive, but it was a part of Catholic tradition and I believe the Jesuits had a lot to do with it. I like the idea of "Go Inquirers"

Or the Marquette Flames, in honor of Joan of Arc Chapel. Guess what we could do to a cheerleader at halftime????

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »
Jumpin' Jesuits would have been perfect. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2010, 06:18:44 PM »

They probably have tenure.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2010, 06:41:47 PM »
They probably have tenure.

The Local Gift Shoppers 164 is a tough union.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »

They have people at the shop that have been there for 16 weeks?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
The Local Gift Shoppers 164 is a tough union.

Yeah... but they talk too much, especially in bars... to strangers.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2010, 11:16:34 PM »

Jim Graebert I believe has run it since day one.