[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by The Equalizer
[June 17, 2024, 12:55:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WI DMV  (Read 3063 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
WI DMV
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »
My out of state plates are set to at the end of September. The title is still under my parents names, which they have signed over to me. Does anyone know what else I will need, how long it takes to transfer the title and register and apply for plates here in Wisconsin?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: WI DMV
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »
I did this in 1990, so my memory and the procedure may not be accurate.

It was somewhat simple .. fill out a form or two.  The time it takes was no longer than if you bought a car new, so figure 4-8 weeks.  (what do I know.)

I do recall one problem I had .. something about the prior owners (parents) signing something that officially declared the mileage of the car, so the title had a disclaimer that said something like "not official mileage" or something.   When I later sold the car, that was an issue. -- Which I resolved by getting them to sign a document.

In any event .. something to watch for.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »
shot. My folks signed the title over a few weeks ago at the mileage that it had then. I need to get to the DMV soon. I hope the difference wont be too big of a deal. Likely, I will be buying a new car soon and trading my current POS in. Hope that doesnt come back.

Thanks.

"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:07:11 PM »
I just moved back to Milwaukee a few months ago and did this.  I got the title the same day from the DMV.  You will need to have a utility or pay stub from your WI address to switch it.  They do not check the actual mileage.  I gave an estimate when I was there and it was no problem.  You can fill out the forms and bring them in in person so you don't have to wait for your number to get called.  The whole process took me about 45 minutes.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:09:48 PM »
if you can, go to the dmv in waukesha, not the one in milwaukee.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:16:17 AM »
Under 45 minutes is clutch... i will likely be swinging up the location on Mills road during my hour lunch.

just nervous, as with anything with the government, to have everything correct so its not gonna be a hassle.

Thanks guys.

If I register my vehicle up here... I suppose I will need to get a WI driver's license? would i need to take a driving or knowledge test?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:43:57 AM »
If I register my vehicle up here... I suppose I will need to get a WI driver's license? would i need to take a driving or knowledge test?

the last time I moved here all that was required was a written test as long as you have a current license in another state

LON

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:27:35 AM »
Under 45 minutes is clutch... i will likely be swinging up the location on Mills road during my hour lunch.

just nervous, as with anything with the government, to have everything correct so its not gonna be a hassle.

Thanks guys.

My girlfriend had a Maryland license and didn't have to take a test to get her WI license.  This was about 8 months ago.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »
I had my recently expired IL license when I went and didn't have to take any test.  For what it's worth, I went to the DMV on Chase.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »
Make sure if the car is a gift it states that on the title.  if the car is over ~11500 make sure that both parents sign or they may have a tax consequence.  If you paid for the car and it states this on the title you will have to pay sales tax based on the county + state tax.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:02:54 AM »
I went and got the new plates and title transferred on Friday. Other than the title signed over, all I needed was one of their forms completed, which they helped me with on the tax and payment section. I received my plates at that time (i thought they would be sending them to me). I was shocked that I received them that day and was caught off guard so much that I forgot to ask for the MU plates.

All in all, it was much easier than I thought it was going to be.