Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Football  (Read 27008 times)

MUBalla23

• Starter
Marquette Football
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »
Is there any intention that marquette is getting a football team?  I think it would be great if they did.

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Marquette Football
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »
Is there any intention that marquette is getting a football team?  I think it would be great if they did.

Really? This again? A Marquette football team is as likely as peace between Israel and Palestine. Its only a dream.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
I bet there is peace in the middle east before Marquette football returns.

Which is to say, someone is going to nuke the other side out of existence before Marquette football returns.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:37:05 PM »
Great effort was made in 60's- 70's by the majority of the student body, headed by ASMU, to bring football back..., resulted in club football and that's that.
Was in Chicago yesterday after the Northwestern game and absolutely love the 'campus atmosphere' on Saturdays.  I sure would be happy to have football again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
I'd love it as well, but just not on a FBS level.  It would have to be at the level of a Butler, Dayton, etc.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »
I wonder if we could use Miller Park.  Sports is an ideal way to improve the name recognition of Marquette around the country.  Football might be a good investment.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 05:55:29 PM »
I'll admit, for me this conversation never really gets old. I love speculating about it, but we all need to admit there is a 99.9% chance this never happens.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 06:17:26 PM »
I think any team would have to fill up the stands at Valley Fields and then Hart Park in Tosa before Miller Park is a hint of a possibility, which it isn't because the Brewers will never go for it and a football field won't fit.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 06:20:12 PM »
Is there any intention that marquette is getting a football team?  I think it would be great if they did.

Better chance that Warriors returns or me worshipping the throne Crean sits on.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 06:35:57 PM »
Put a dollar sign in front of 9 random digits and two commas.    Whatever that number is, assume it is the amount needed to start from nothing and get to a solid D1 program.   Donate it, and we will name the team whatever you want.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
What on Earth do you mean, tower912?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:08:32 PM »
Put a dollar sign in front of 9 random digits and two commas.    Whatever that number is, assume it is the amount needed to start from nothing and get to a solid D1 program.   Donate it, and we will name the team whatever you want.

Your comment above makes no sense, tower912: “Put a dollar sign in front of 9 random digits and two commas. Whatever that number is, assume it is the amount needed to start from nothing and get to a solid D1 program.”

Huh?

Your point, one assumes, is that bringing football back to Marquette would come with some serious costs. But not nearly the costs you are suggesting.

“Put a dollar sign in front of 9 random digits and two commas. …”

What?

The $100 million estimate is not exaggeration enough?   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 07:16:11 PM »

That's why you do it and don't make it DI FBS.   The cost goes down dramatically.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »
Read the recent ESPN Magazine about Georgia State football's first season in D-1.

Yup. I'd support Marquette Football hands down, but it - if it ever happens - will not be great until my children's children.

And I don't have any children yet.
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_professional_football_stadium_cost

Yeah, I know it is for professional stadiums.   To play in D1, you have to maintain a minimum average attendance.     For the sake of argument, lets say MU builds a 30k stadium.    And they would need to as the soccer field likely isn't adaptable and Miller Park is (a) probably unadaptable and (b) probably unavailable.    So you need to find enough real estate within a reasonable distance of campus to build a stadium and have parking.  Maybe I'm not crazy after all.  

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=13100523

$50 mil to build a 30K capacity stadium near Montgomery, Alabama.   And they own the real estate.   Care to speculate how much sufficient land would cost somewhere near MU? 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:44:41 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
the university of Chicago maroons are more likely to make a comeback than MU. u laugh? they recently thought about it. money is no issue for them. the problem was dilluting their academic reputation by offering athletic scholarships. the trustees said no.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »
the biggest problem I have with throwing around the idea of a football team is the lack of financial resources. the academic endowment (relative to better private schools) is piss poor. work on the academic endowment before the athletic endowment.

besides, it's not like the BE would be interested in a new crapty program. please add TCU!!!!!  second best option: James Madison!!! third best....who gives a crap 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 08:54:50 PM »
i just dont like college football, so am okay with us not having a team.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 12:38:14 AM »
Just got a little excited thinking about a gold helmet with the blue MU monogram...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 01:01:14 AM »
Just got a little excited thinking about a gold helmet with the blue MU monogram...

Looks like someone has already toyed with the concept...but not your colors:

SS Marquette

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 02:05:40 AM »

There's a good point.  Let's focus on the sports that the NCAA actually hands out a national championship trophy for.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 07:40:52 AM »
John Sisk, Jr. (All-stater from MUHS) was a promising running back on MU's last D-! football team (1960).  Years earlier, his father, John Sisk, Sr. had a very nice career with the Chicago Bears.  All-Pro George Andrie played tight end on that '60 team.  Karl Kassulkie transferred to Drake and went on to a nice career with the Vikings.  Soph QB Terry Zang's collegiate career got deep-sixed when Fr. O'Donnell pulled the plug - but at least the good padre didn't drop the medical school.......for awhile.

Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 11:19:07 AM »

BONER!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
How do not like college football? >:( >:( It's the best thing in the world!!!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 12:39:09 PM »

Those are pretty close to the Uniforms Marquette wears on NCAA football 10 (a team that I created). There is a difference in the checkered striping but I think they look pretty cool.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 12:40:17 PM »
I'm right there, too.   I did not watch a single play this weekend.   Last weekend, all I watched was the Boise St/V Tech game. Somehow, I survived.   I will attend the game in Ann Arbor this weekend, I've been to games in East Lansing, Kalamazoo, Mt. Pleasant, South Bend, Evanston, but it just doesn't move me.     I get more enjoyment watching a Towson St/Loyola, Md tilt during championship week than I do watching the faux national championship game in college football.    I was accepted at ND and Michigan.   I went to Marquette.   And that, in a nutshell, encapsulates my attitude toward college football.