Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Football  (Read 27007 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Marquette Football
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »
How do not like college football? >:( >:( It's the best thing in the world!!!

False.

College teams run gimmick offenses and can't even determine a true national champion.  So overrated - best thing about it is the crowd shots during SEC games (the girls obviously, not the douchey frat guys).

TJ

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 12:55:16 PM »
How do not like college football? >:( >:( It's the best thing in the world!!!
I don't like it either.

:( The games take way too long (why do they have to stop the clock after 1st downs in the 1st and 3rd quarters? And instead of changing that, they tried making it so that the clock doesn't stop after turnovers???).
 :( There are only 20-30 powerhouse programs and they hold a complete monopoly on the sport (and they're willing to destroy anything they have to to keep it that way).
 :( After a team loses, their games no longer matter in the scope of a championship.
 :( There is no playoff system and the teams that play for a championship are decided in an asinine manner.
 :( Unless you happen to be in a BCS conference, you could go out and get the 55 best players on the planet and you still wouldn't be able to play for the national championship under the current system (we'll see if Boise State breaks that glass ceiling this year).
 :( There are many meaningless bowl games that mean nothing.
 :( The championship is played like 30-40 days after the season ends.  That's way too much of a layoff and it's for no reason whatsoever.
 :( They ruined the one thing that they had going for them - Jan 1.  Before it was a ton of meaningless but interesting games (plus if you go far enough back a few of them had NC implications) all on the same day and you had non stop action and needed multiple TV's all day to take it all in.  Now there's only like 4 or 5 games all day, one at a time.  And none of them have anything to do with a national championship.
 :( Being in Chicago/Milwaukee, the majority of the games we get on TV are boring B10 games.
 :( You know the BCS is flawed when it rewards Ohio St with the opportunity to lose the championship every year for like 4 straight because they went undefeated in a crappy conference instead of better teams that actually had to play each other and ended up with a few losses.  (same goes for ND if they ever make it).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:59:59 PM by TJ »

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 01:19:40 PM »
I don't like it either.
. .  (same goes for ND if they ever make it).

No chance, ND has become the Cubs of College Football
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 01:27:03 PM »
Well I guess if you guys don't like it, what can I say but keep watching the nfl and the low scoring games and the Lions getting screwed.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »
The games take too long? They are only 3 1/2 hours long compared to 3 plus for the nfl. College has longer halftimes and the clock stops to reset the chains after first down.

Playoffs? Who needs a playoff ;)

The layoff has always been that way. The Bowl game was to reward a team for a great season. If you don't like the other bowl games don't watch. ( they get good ratings )

If you have cable, you have other leagues to watch other than the Big Ten since there is up to 30 games on TV.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 01:34:25 PM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »
College teams run gimmick offenses

says the board for a BBall team who didn't sport anyone over 6'6" last season and was widely considered one of the top 25 teams in the country.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
Plus, the 'wildcat" was started by Arkansas and the nfl and others have copied it.
-Bill Walton

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 02:23:36 PM »
No chance, ND has become the Cubs of College Football

Huh? What does that even mean?

LON

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
says the board for a BBall team who didn't sport anyone over 6'6" last season and was widely considered one of the top 25 teams in the country.

Buzz ran an offense to fit his pieces.

Urban Meyer (insert other spread offense coaches here) recruits QB's that won't do $hit in the NFL because they can win a "National Championship"

LON

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »
Plus, the 'wildcat" was started by Arkansas and the nfl and others have copied it.

And the wildcat is for teams without a good QB - Eagles (Vick is a glorified wildcat QB), Browns, Dolphins, etc...  Wake me up when Aaron Rodgers is taken off the field to run that.

LON

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 02:33:41 PM »
The games take too long? They are only 3 1/2 hours long compared to 3 plus for the nfl. College has longer halftimes and the clock stops to reset the chains after first down.

Playoffs? Who needs a playoff ;)

The layoff has always been that way. The Bowl game was to reward a team for a great season. If you don't like the other bowl games don't watch. ( they get good ratings )

If you have cable, you have other leagues to watch other than the Big Ten since there is up to 30 games on TV.

But a 7-5 seasons gets you into the "Meinecke Car Care Bowl" - why does a 7-5 team get a reward?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
But a 7-5 seasons gets you into the "Meinecke Car Care Bowl" - why does a 7-5 team get a reward?
It's all about the money now, like everything in life.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »

I love college football so more bowls the better.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »
Well I guess if you guys don't like it, what can I say but keep watching the nfl and the low scoring games and the Lions getting screwed.
Certainly no college ref has ever blown a controversial call.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Those football uniforms are as sweet as our basketball uniforms
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »
BONER!

While Victor McCormick’s reaction was a bit different than mine, I also love seeing the drawings of Marquette’s football uniforms.

Nothing would be finer than seeing them on a renewed Marquette football team.

I still want to see a well-researched, detailed itemization of why it would cost $125 million for Marquette to make a return to NCAA football.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Re: Those football uniforms are as sweet as our basketball uniforms
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
While Victor McCormick’s reaction was a bit different than mine, I also love seeing the drawings of Marquette’s football uniforms.

Nothing would be finer than seeing them on a renewed Marquette football team.

I still want to see a well-researched, detailed itemization of why it would cost $125 million for Marquette to make a return to NCAA football.

Feel free to conduct the analysis, we look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Things which rival the chance of MU fielding a football team:
1.  Posters on this board stop posting about Tom Crean
2.  The Badgers landing an athletic recruit
3.  Tim Higgins refereeing an entire game without calling a foul only to get to himself more TV face time
4.  Len Elmore broadcasting an entire BE game without mentioning that he and/or various players hail from NYC which makes them tough
5.  MU decides to quit the whole Jesuit thing to better compete with unaffiliated institutions like the University of Phoenix

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 09:43:27 PM »

5.  MU decides to quit the whole Jesuit thing to better compete with unaffiliated institutions like the University of Phoenix

But I thought University of Phoenix was Jesuit...

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 10:18:17 PM »
But you guys know that once Marquette gets a D1 program we'll immediately become competitive and beat the Badgers and ND year in and year out

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
Buzz ran an offense to fit his pieces.

Urban Meyer (insert other spread offense coaches here) recruits QB's that won't do $hit in the NFL because they can win a "National Championship"

Sure, college football and pro football are different, requiring different skill sets in certain programs, but that doesn't necessarily make it worse... You can't say you didn't enjoy watching Appalachian State's gimmick offense beat Michigan in the Big House a few years ago. Unless you're from Michigan, but you get what I mean.  It's fun.  College football is a lot of fun.  How many college basketball teams do you see running NBA style offenses?  They're also different games, with coaches recruiting to their styles, and no one here , nor anyone in their right mind would dare assert that college basketball isn't one of God's greatest gifts.

I get that you don't like college football, and that college football has its flaws (ahem, BCS) but your argument is off.  

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 07:18:52 AM »

Because they'd have to add 4 women's sports to balance out the football team for Title IX.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

TJ

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 07:23:45 AM »
Because they'd have to add 4 women's sports to balance out the football team for Title IX.
It's mostly because they'd have to build a stadium for $50 million.  You just can't build something like that for less.  And there's nowhere else to play.

Once you consider that number, it's pretty easy to get to $70 million more with scholarships, facilities, additional women's sports and all the other upstart costs.

LON

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 08:08:12 AM »
Sure, college football and pro football are different, requiring different skill sets in certain programs, but that doesn't necessarily make it worse... You can't say you didn't enjoy watching Appalachian State's gimmick offense beat Michigan in the Big House a few years ago. Unless you're from Michigan, but you get what I mean.  It's fun.  College football is a lot of fun.  How many college basketball teams do you see running NBA style offenses?  They're also different games, with coaches recruiting to their styles, and no one here , nor anyone in their right mind would dare assert that college basketball isn't one of God's greatest gifts.

I get that you don't like college football, and that college football has its flaws (ahem, BCS) but your argument is off.  

I'd probably enjoy any lower level D1 team beat a major program - just like I enjoy watching those same level teams beat high major programs in the best postseason tournament ever created.  It's crazy how the NCAA can have the best and worst postseasons in its two flagship sports.

And Michigan runs a gimmicky spread offense too.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »
And Michigan runs a gimmicky spread offense too.

Agree.

The forward pass is also too gimicky.

Give me a full house backfield.

"Student body right on one on one!"

/Dreams of days with leather helmets.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 08:34:46 AM »
It's crazy how the NCAA can have the best and worst postseasons in its two flagship sports.

The NCAA doesn't run the FBS level or (D-1A) it's CFA does. The NCAA runs FCS (D-1AA) that is why there is a playoff.
Everything in life has to do with $$$$$$$$$$. To much money in the bowl system. The season is the playoff, that makes college football great.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »
The NCAA doesn't run the FBS level or (D-1A) it's CFA does. The NCAA runs FCS (D-1AA) that is why there is a playoff.
Everything in life has to do with $$$$$$$$$$. To much money in the bowl system. The season is the playoff, that makes college football great.

The NCAA has no power to force a playoff on FBS schools.