Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tokoto  (Read 9325 times)

MUSF

• All American
Re: Tokoto
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 11:07:23 AM »
I actually think Ners is right to the extent that Buzz realizes being on JPT's phone all the time doesn't better his chances.  JPT did his due diligence coming through MU a couple of times and everyone knows that he would have to be really blown away for us to leapfrog the big three he mentioned.  I think that as much as its a strategy to get JPT or a strategy to employ his time elsewhere or any other kind of strategy, Buzz just doesn't have that much to say.  Either JPT loved MU enough to make waves and turn down those big schools or he didn't.  Either way, cant say I blame him and can't say I blame Buzz for not trying to wave his arms over Krzyzewski, Williams, and Self's shoulders for some attention.

You made an important distinction here that Ners didn't.  That is, that being on JPT's phone all the time doesn't better his chances and he is better off devoting time elsewhere.  I agree with that completely.  If we were truly on equal footing with the others in JP's eyes, I would hope that Buzz doesn't take that approach.

Ners' post seemed to say that Buzz was going to be the cool aloof guy in the corner and that would ultimately draw Tokoto's interest.  All part of a master plan to lure him away from the other four.  I may have misinterpreted what Ners was trying to say or maybe he just lost me with the girl analogy.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »
"North Carolina, Wisconsin, Duke, Kansas. I’d say those guys (are on me the hardest),” Tokoto said.
Everyone is trying to analyze what he meant by "on me the hardest", but that's not even what Tokoto said!  That part is in parenthesis, so it was added by the author.  It must have been something similar, but it isn't worth trying to find meaning in that specific phrase.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 11:59:48 AM »
If that girl was Angelina Jolie, Carrie Underwood, or Brooklyn Decker (the equivalent of Duke, UNC, Kansas in your analogy) I'd be pretty f'ng psyched.  

One (hyphenated) word: Beer-Goggles.

I don't know about the rest of you, but on at least one occasion in the distant past, I've gone home with talent the likes of Angelina Jolie who was "on me the hardest" that night and awoken the next morning next to Angela Lansbury (1990's version).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:47 PM »
Everyone is trying to analyze what he meant by "on me the hardest", but that's not even what Tokoto said!  That part is in parenthesis, so it was added by the author.  It must have been something similar, but it isn't worth trying to find meaning in that specific phrase.

Actually the parenthesis means he didn't say it but was implied because of a previous statement or in response to a question.  

Something like this:

Reporter:  "Which schools are on you the hardest?"
JP: "North Carolina, Wisconsin, Duke, Kansas. I’d say those guys."

The statement in parenthesis clarifies what JP meant.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »
Just because the previous regime pulled out all stops including Hummers, limos and ATV's to impress kids, does not mean we should expect the same from the current regime.

Agreed.  Crean went to Shumpert's house in a limo at midnight and brought Dwyane Wade in for Midnight Madness to try to get him to come to MU.

How did that work out?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »
You made an important distinction here that Ners didn't.  That is, that being on JPT's phone all the time doesn't better his chances and he is better off devoting time elsewhere.  I agree with that completely.  If we were truly on equal footing with the others in JP's eyes, I would hope that Buzz doesn't take that approach.

Ners' post seemed to say that Buzz was going to be the cool aloof guy in the corner and that would ultimately draw Tokoto's interest.  All part of a master plan to lure him away from the other four.  I may have misinterpreted what Ners was trying to say or maybe he just lost me with the girl analogy.

I thought some of that could be read between the lines - as far as not blowing up JP's phone, smothering him etc....much the way an overagressive dude can sometimes do toward a hot chick.  That behavior usually runs the girl off (in this case the recruit).  As mentioned, Buzz has expressed interest by havnig JP at the Selection Sunday show, Buzz's BBQ..he doesn't need to whore himself out....and that is not being aloof.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 01:28:56 PM »
How come everyone knows so much about picking up 17 y/o boys?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 02:32:07 PM »

I'm 4never's parole officer.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »

Ners also appears to have a lot of insights into unsuccessful stalking of chicks.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 04:04:11 PM »
Ners also appears to have a lot of insights into unsuccessful stalking of chicks.

Well played.  However, I'm comfortable with my conversion rate.  My track record for consistently landing top talent is more Buzz Williams like, than Tom Crean.  I don't have many empty recruiting classes.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »
Don't mess.  Ners is a stud. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »
Don't mess.  Ners is a stud. 

Thanks Stone Cold!! 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »
looks like Johnny Drama without the goatee...

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
Ners, Are you forgetting how Buzz got his nickname? From constantly being around, never taking no for an answer. I don't think the subtle approach is a strong suit of his. My feeling is that he realizes his chances with JP are pretty slim.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »
Ners, Are you forgetting how Buzz got his nickname? From constantly being around, never taking no for an answer. I don't think the subtle approach is a strong suit of his. My feeling is that he realizes his chances with JP are pretty slim.

Could be right on all of the above...but we are also just speculating based on what someone posted on the Badger board about what teams are on JPT the hardest.  I do think Buzz has a very good understanding of how to reach kids, press the right buttons, etc..and from his time around Tokoto at Selection Sunday, Buzz's BBQ..I'm sure he has a feel for how best to pursue JPT.  I do not think Buzz being a high-effort guy automatically carry's over into how persistent he pursues particular players...I'm sure each situation is different...and not always balls to the walls.  IN fact I wish I could find the quotes from the Reggie Smith signing..he talked about how he offers kids, etc..

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:29 PM »
What's Buzz going to say that JP doesn't already know? The campus is like 15 minutes from where he goes to school. I'm sure if JP has a question or wants to talk about something with Buzz, Buzz isn't going to turn him away. JP has probably gotten the sales pitch from all these schools for over a year now. I've never been recruited, but I assume he knows just about all you need to about the schools and the rest is just feeling out players, see how the team is doing and all that. Also, it is about getting to know the coach still, but as we've seen he's been at the BBQ and Selection show. That is probably worth a lot more than just phone calls with coaches as far as getting to know someone.

He's only entering his junior year and won't make a decision for at least a year. I'm sure Buzz (as well as all the other coaches) will turn up the heat more as he nears a decision.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »
Maybe Buzz has Tokoto on the Wilson plan. Three years from now he will be saying I knew I would eventually play for MU.

feedback