[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tokoto  (Read 9333 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
Tokoto
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
FWIW

Looks like despite the fact that he's been on campus a lot, he doesn't feel we're recruiting him as hard as others.

...J.P. claims offers from Wisconsin, Marquette, Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Texas, Florida, Arizona, North Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Miami and Tennessee.

Many of the best programs in the country are looking at Tokoto but a few of them are recruiting him harder than the rest.

“North Carolina, Wisconsin, Duke, Kansas. I’d say those guys (are on me the hardest),” Tokoto said. ....

http://wisconsin.scout.com/2/986453.html

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Tokoto
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »
My reaction to this: 

FWIW

Looks like despite the fact that he's been on campus a lot, he doesn't feel we're recruiting him as hard as others.

http://wisconsin.scout.com/2/986453.html

I believe it is strategic.  Think of it like the hottest girl on campus, at school, in the bar..etc....98 times out of 100 she doesn't go with the guy who tells her everything she wants to hear, or the guy who chases her the hardest - she goes with the guy that challenges her.I think Buzz doesn't kiss a players ass intentionally, and whore himself out to get a kid.  He expresses interest, and lets it be known he wants the player - but not at the cost of compromising himself. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »
I really doubt that playing hard to get is a successful strategy in recruiting.

I will not be that broken up if we don't land Tokoto. My priority looking forward isn't improving at the 2/3, its improving at the 4/5. Thats why I think Buzz's #1 target should be Philip Nolan.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:12:13 AM »
My reaction to this: 

I believe it is strategic.  Think of it like the hottest girl on campus, at school, in the bar..etc....98 times out of 100 she doesn't go with the guy who tells her everything she wants to hear, or the guy who chases her the hardest - she goes with the guy that challenges her.I think Buzz doesn't kiss a players ass intentionally, and whore himself out to get a kid.  He expresses interest, and lets it be known he wants the player - but not at the cost of compromising himself. 

If this were posted by a Badger fan on one of their boards about Bo instead of Buzz, we would be laughing our a**es off and ridiculing them.

I'm sure Buzz knows what he is doing, but if he a.) wanted JPT bad enough and b.) thought he had a legitimate shot at landing him, he would be full court pressing right now.  I'm guessing that option b is the most likely reason that Buzz isn't pressing as hard as others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:26:35 AM »
My reaction to this: 

Well I'll say this, I had a really long and crappy day but your analysis made me laugh.  So I tip my hat to you for that.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:38:11 AM »
While being mentioned in the final 4 "hardest workers" in JP's recruitment will probably get plenty of Badger fans moist about their chances with him, there is a logical reason UW is recruiting him so hard---what else does Bo have to do right now?

With the Badgers having their '11 class squared away (Do some due diligence and keep recruiting? Heavens no, this is Madison! Oversigning is mean!)  and already a start in the '12 class, Bo has nothing else to do except put the full-court press on a stud in his backyard. I don't think this makes their chances any better, although I'd probably trade our position with JP for theirs. It'll be tough to keep him away from the top 3 programs in the country if they're also focusing heavily on him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:58:35 AM »
Don't know what Mr. Tokoto means by "on me the hardest".

If he means they are the most impressive, then we are in trouble. If he means that they are just trying the hardest to sell him, then we could be in trouble. If he means they are pressuring him, then we are better off.

Hard to say what is going on here, but we could use this guy, and should not let somebody a stone's throw away get away!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:47:41 AM »
My reaction to this: 

I disagree. I think that Buzz simply doesn't think of him "in that way" and just wants to be friends.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 07:58:34 AM »
A bit disappointing to hear that.   We know Buzz works very hard at recruiting as has been seen by his top ranked recruiting classes nationally. 

There must be a reason for Buzz pulling in the reins, maybe he has a similar type player to Tokoto in 2012 that's more under the radar that he's working on??

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 08:02:26 AM »
I'll take quality intensive recruiting over time intensive recruiting every time.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »
My reaction to this: 

Ners, I appreciate your optimism re: all things Buzz Williams, but I think you're making a HUGE leap here.

It's a vague comment made by a high schooler. You don't need to read so much into it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 08:36:58 AM »
I really doubt that playing hard to get is a successful strategy in recruiting.

I will not be that broken up if we don't land Tokoto. My priority looking forward isn't improving at the 2/3, its improving at the 4/5. Thats why I think Buzz's #1 target should be Philip Nolan.

Just because the previous regime pulled out all stops including Hummers, limos and ATV's to impress kids, does not mean we should expect the same from the current regime.

JPT knows without a doubt MU/Buzz want him - there is no sense in beating the hell out of a kid.  Sometimes the best way to differntiate is to take a more passive approach.  Buzz has had JPT on campus for the NCAA Selection Show, Buzz's BBQ.  JPT knows the deal at MU...no sense in whoring yourself out to a kid.

Now it may be possible that we are out of the running for JPT and JPT told us as much..therefore we've moved on...but I wouldn't take Tokoto's simple statement that the other schools are on him the "hardest" to be a ngeative.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 08:44:35 AM »
If this were posted by a Badger fan on one of their boards about Bo instead of Buzz, we would be laughing our a**es off and ridiculing them.

I'm sure Buzz knows what he is doing, but if he a.) wanted JPT bad enough and b.) thought he had a legitimate shot at landing him, he would be full court pressing right now.  I'm guessing that option b is the most likely reason that Buzz isn't pressing as hard as others.

I'm open to the ridicule..and I'm sure some would ridicule a Badger fan if they made the same statement on their board - I just wouldn't be one of them.  The best way to run someone off is to suffocate the hell out of them.  The full court press strategy usually doesn't work too well when courting someone who is totally accustomed to having everything thrown at them - as 5-star recruits are accustomed.  Have you ever had a girl call you 2 times a day, text you, e-mail you..be up in your grill at all times??  What's your reaction?

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 08:45:29 AM »
Did Vander and Wilson have us in the top 5 after their Soph year?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:20 AM »
Did Vander and Wilson have us in the top 5 after their Soph year?

I believe Wilson did - Vander I think had already verbaled to UW.  This said...JPT didn't even say UNC, Kansas, Duke, and UW were his top 5 - just that they were on him the hardest.  That said, obviously UNC, Duke, Kansas,  probably are in his Top 5..with UW and MU being in the mix as well.  JPT doesn't come to Buzz's BBQ if he still isn't considering MU...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 09:06:13 AM »
So Marquette isn't "on JP the hardest."  Big deal.  I'm sure if Maryland-Eastern Shore thought they had a chance with JP, they'd be on him the hardest of all.

Nevertheless, the URL tells it all.  Even if he did say something positive about Marquette, there's no way that would have found its way on that website.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 09:09:13 AM »
I don't know guys....this is really really really really really really really bad if he doesn't think we are on him the hardest...this probably means Marquette's chances are done considering how much time he has until he'll likely make his decision

But in all seriousness there's much more to this recruiting game than whatever "on him the hardest" means

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 09:43:52 AM »
I disagree. I think that Buzz simply doesn't think of him "in that way" and just wants to be friends.

That's what I heard :-)

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 09:47:27 AM »
This "hardest" list looks to me like the standard of Three Elites and my State University.  I think JP probably knows that a guy with his rep usually goes to an Elite program where you play for the title just about every single year.  I would bet that Buzz can read the tea leaves and senses that JP has bought into the Elite line and is likely headed to one of those 3 with UW's chances being pretty slim.  No need for MU to spend time battling it out for 4th place.  If Buzz's style hasn't hooked him already time is better spent recruiting other players.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »

I won't be broken up either, but for different reasons. The reason being, this kid is elite and it is going to be very, very difficult to wrest him away from the UNC's, Duke's and Kansas's of the world. Not impossible, but very difficult. Furthermore, Buzz appears to be doing a good enough job recruiting, that we don't need any one player to make or break us. Would it be great to get him....absolutely. Disappointing if we miss out? For sure. But will it break us? Not at all.

As far as priority, I'd make this kid a priority regardless of where he plays. Highlight reels are always glowing and can make even a pedestrian player look like NBA material. That said, there is something definitely different about Tokoto's reels. Its not so much the obvious highlights, but rather, it is the apparent smoothness about everything he does in those reels. The kid is a real talent and he should definitely be considered a priority, regardless of position.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 09:54:49 AM »
Have you ever had a girl call you 2 times a day, text you, e-mail you..be up in your grill at all times??  What's your reaction?

If that girl was Angelina Jolie, Carrie Underwood, or Brooklyn Decker (the equivalent of Duke, UNC, Kansas in your analogy) I'd be pretty f'ng psyched.  

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »
Just because the previous regime pulled out all stops including Hummers, limos and ATV's to impress kids, does not mean we should expect the same from the current regime.

JPT knows without a doubt MU/Buzz want him - there is no sense in beating the hell out of a kid.  Sometimes the best way to differntiate is to take a more passive approach.  Buzz has had JPT on campus for the NCAA Selection Show, Buzz's BBQ.  JPT knows the deal at MU...no sense in whoring yourself out to a kid.

Now it may be possible that we are out of the running for JPT and JPT told us as much..therefore we've moved on...but I wouldn't take Tokoto's simple statement that the other schools are on him the "hardest" to be a ngeative.

I don't think anyone was implying that Buzz should adopt Crean's recruiting tactics or that going hard after a recruit implies using those gimmicks.  This has nothing to do with Crean.  Can we keep him out of one thread?

It's not impossible that Buzz is using the strategy you suggest, but that is a big speculative leap on your part.  There are many more plausible reasons that we are not recruiting JPT as hard as others.  Your theory sounds a lot like a rationalizing to me.  Sort of like the famous, "Bo cooled on him," we hear from Badger fans that won't admit that many recruits don't want to go to UW or play for the Grinch.

I wouldn't take Tokoto's comments that others are recruiting him the hardest as a negative, if those others weren't Duke, Kansas, UNC, and the school he grew up rooting for.  That is a serious uphill battle and Buzz may wisely be choosing to focus most of his efforts elsewhere.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »
If that girl was Angelina Jolie, Carrie Underwood, or Brooklyn Decker (the equivalent of Duke, UNC, Kansas in your analogy) I'd be pretty f'ng psyched.  

That's a good point.   :)  I know the original poster was just passing the piece of information along to start a discussion...so don't want to gang up on his post.  Plus the statement came from the UW board - probably quite easy to eliminate MU from the list of schools that were pursuing JPT the hardest. 

I still believe to an extent that Buzz has a very good feel for how to best recruit a player...and may be taking a somewhat passive approach to JPT.  Speculation on my part?  Absolutely...which is what we all do on here, right?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
I actually think Ners is right to the extent that Buzz realizes being on JPT's phone all the time doesn't better his chances.  JPT did his due diligence coming through MU a couple of times and everyone knows that he would have to be really blown away for us to leapfrog the big three he mentioned.  I think that as much as its a strategy to get JPT or a strategy to employ his time elsewhere or any other kind of strategy, Buzz just doesn't have that much to say.  Either JPT loved MU enough to make waves and turn down those big schools or he didn't.  Either way, cant say I blame him and can't say I blame Buzz for not trying to wave his arms over Krzyzewski, Williams, and Self's shoulders for some attention.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
I actually think Ners is right to the extent that Buzz realizes being on JPT's phone all the time doesn't better his chances.  JPT did his due diligence coming through MU a couple of times and everyone knows that he would have to be really blown away for us to leapfrog the big three he mentioned.  I think that as much as its a strategy to get JPT or a strategy to employ his time elsewhere or any other kind of strategy, Buzz just doesn't have that much to say.  Either JPT loved MU enough to make waves and turn down those big schools or he didn't.  Either way, cant say I blame him and can't say I blame Buzz for not trying to wave his arms over Krzyzewski, Williams, and Self's shoulders for some attention.

First time for everything Burrow!!  Think the rest of your analysis is very good and a better analogy than my hot girl analogy. 

feedback