[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matthews vs Madison Media...  (Read 7220 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Matthews vs Madison Media...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:42:01 PM »

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
"Why that is, only Matthews knows. Perhaps he has simply outgrown his hometown. Maybe his nose is out of joint because UW didn't recruit him harder or the local media didn't follow his career at Marquette closely enough or because UW fans routinely bashed him on Internet message boards, especially after he seemed to play a role in the Vander Blue saga last year."

Do Badger fans seriously believe this crap?  His nose was out of joint because UW didn't recruit him harder?  Wow.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:56:51 PM »
This guy sounds like a scorned ex-girlfriend. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »
This guy sounds like a scorned ex-girlfriend. 

Gilbert was a scorn ex.  This guy is like the mother comforting her rejected son with the likes of "Honey, the kids tease you because they are jealous of you."
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
Well, the writers at the Wisconsin State Journal have a reason to be peeved...but you don't call him out in an article like that.

EDIT:  Not a good reason...but a reason in their eyes at least.

Low class.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
I know why Wesley wont talk to them--and this hack knows as well. They bashed Vander--their hometown hero. Kudos to Wesley for sticking up for the future of MU.

I suspect Wesley, Jeronne and Vander all left Madison--in some part--because of this rag.  

This article says it all....If you are gifted athlete in or near Madison, get the "h" out.

The worst that can happen is that you have alot of success and the only entity that will criticize you is this po-dunk Madison newspaper.  The consolation---everyone else (including newspapers in American cities that are more culturally diverse) will acknowledge you approrpriately for your success.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:05:53 PM by Knight Commission »

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
I know he also made it clear to another southeast paper that he wouldn't have any media availability during the pro-am. It may not just be Madison's papers and he doesn't want to be in the papers. Who knows?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 04:49:12 PM »
Hmmmmm, whyowhy would little Wes not want to pander to his hometown paper?   Because Badger fans slagged his mother during recruiting, particularly after he committed to MU.    Because the Madison media ignored him for 5 years.    Because Buckyites slagged him again during the second round of recruiting of Blue.    Hmmmmm, go away to school, get slagged by all of the townies where you used to live.......maybe I get why Wes isn't interested in talking.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »
Scorned ex-girlfriend? Nah, that would imply he once had something that probably never existed. More like, Erin Andrews-type celeb-stalker.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 05:37:05 PM »
What's Madison Media have ? About 500 viewers? I'm sure Wes is so beyond them. he will love Portland..it is one of my favorite towns. Can't wait to watch him play when i visit. There are a few MU alums there too

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
Can't understand why Wes wouldn't talk to Pravda.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 06:09:46 PM »
Assuming it is true that Matthews declined various interview requests, 99% of writers simply would not have written the story or would have stated something like "Matthews declined to be interviewed for this story".  Not this writer.

No disrespect to the Wisconsinites here as I really love Wisconsin especially Milwaukee but I am always amazed how parochial certain parts of Wisconsin are. 

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »
Great for Wes. I never thought of him as 3rd fiddle on that team. Overall this is a pretty careless rant or an article.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 09:43:09 PM »
Wow, alienate a guy whom could be a great role model for your community.  The writer almost sounds like Wes owes them one.  Wes can do his own PR if he wants to visit Madison. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »
Why did he even need Wes' comments for the article?  Maybe if they stopped ignoring a nice story about a hometown guy, then he would do an interview.

The story is great if he cut out the whiny teenager stuff.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:58:18 PM by HoopsMalone »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 10:15:23 PM »
A little Post-LeBron Clevelandesque if I may say so...
SS Marquette

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 02:19:03 AM »
Players declining an interview isn't news. They've done everything to burn bridges with Wes, and even if they hadn't, he's entitled to speak to whatever sources he'd like. Interview former coaches if you want people close to him. There are ways of getting a story printed without Wes. Will it be as good? Of course not, but it makes you look unprofessional and like a very poor journalist if you're complaining to the public that you can't score an interview with a backup NBA shooting guard.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 06:56:08 AM »
Couldn't the first half of the article been printed six months ago, before the six months of people questioning the Madison media's bias?  It's not like this article included any quotes from Wes after all.  In fact, it didn't include any quotes from his high school or AAU coaches, from anyone at MU, or from Wes' mother.  Hell, get a quote from Bo Ryan if you have to.  I've never seen such a pathetic excuse as "The accusations of me being biased are false, I couldn't write an article because the subject wouldn't talk to me!" 

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 07:30:22 AM »
Players declining an interview isn't news. They've done everything to burn bridges with Wes, and even if they hadn't, he's entitled to speak to whatever sources he'd like. Interview former coaches if you want people close to him. There are ways of getting a story printed without Wes. Will it be as good? Of course not, but it makes you look unprofessional and like a very poor journalist if you're complaining to the public that you can't score an interview with a backup NBA shooting guard.

I agree that it was definitely the wrong way to do it. This reporter was probably frustrated that he was receiving daily emails from readers probably cursing him out for not writing a Wes story. He could have done something small on Wes and say something at the end like "Wes Matthews declined several requests for interviews" while satisfying the public and letting them know it was Wes's lack of interest for no stories.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:25 AM »
Most of those included some reference to an anti-Marquette bias at the newspaper, a bias that simply doesn't exist.

;D ;D ;D

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »
More badger tears

I love how he goes so low to call the state's Mr. Basketball's offensive game "limited"

That's just a low blow for no reason.  You don't win Mr. Basketball and get recruited by big time D1 programs with a limited offensive game.

This is a crock article

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »
This article actually makes Wes look like a genius for not giving them an interview.    Who knows what they would have dreamt up with actual quotes?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 10:51:27 AM »
Scorned ex-girlfriend? Nah, that would imply he once had something that probably never existed. More like, Erin Andrews-type celeb-stalker.

I'd say that he's more like the girl who ignored the outcast* all through HS and college but now that he's made it big, she longs for his attention and doesn't understand why he's not interested in her.

Whatever the case, it's a pretty weak attempt to bring down a local kid. Anyone with even limited journalism skills could write an article about someone without direct quotes from that person. Like others have said, there is no shortage of people out there who'd be willing to sing the praises of Wes: TC, Buzz, AAU coaches, HS coaches, friends, family, teachers, teammates, etc. Not to mention that his story has been told in some form in other publications. If he wanted to write an article about Wesley, he easily could have done it. Unfortunately, it would have required a little bit of research, which apparently was too much to ask.

*- Wesley is an outcast in this scenario because he chose MU.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
I'd say that he's more like the girl who ignored the outcast* all through HS and college but now that he's made it big, she longs for his attention and doesn't understand why he's not interested in her.

Whatever the case, it's a pretty weak attempt to bring down a local kid. Anyone with even limited journalism skills could write an article about someone without direct quotes from that person. Like others have said, there is no shortage of people out there who'd be willing to sing the praises of Wes: TC, Buzz, AAU coaches, HS coaches, friends, family, teachers, teammates, etc. Not to mention that his story has been told in some form in other publications. If he wanted to write an article about Wesley, he easily could have done it. Unfortunately, it would have required a little bit of research, which apparently was too much to ask.

*- Wesley is an outcast in this scenario because he chose MU.

ESPN Los Angeles had a nice article on Wes when the Lakers were playing the Jazz this post season.  You know, a city that has no connection to him but that he was on THE OTHER TEAM put together a well researched article about Wes and his relationship with his mom (and lack thereof with his dad).  But hey, there is no anti-Marquette bias.  I love how they make it sound like Wes owes them something when they have constantly ripped him from the moment he chose Marquette.  Would his offensive game have been described as "limited" if he went there?