[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Can Team Get On A Roll?  (Read 9512 times)

MU NY

• Starter
Can Team Get On A Roll?
« on: February 26, 2007, 09:30:03 AM »
Right now G-Town and Louisville are the hottest teams in the BE and look to do really well in NYC.  Does Marquette have the goods to get on a roll of its own?  Losing four of the last five tells me these guys are baked.  Where's the mental toughness?  Pathetic loss to DePaul, Mental breakdown in Home loss to Louisville, Blown out of the building in the last seven minutes against Georgetown and pushed around by the Irish while shooting looked like intramurals..Hmmm???   The common thread seems to be telling me these guys are cooked. 

In fact, I am pretty sure they have only managed one really good half of basketball (2nd half of Nova game) in the last five games.

These guys have lost touch with their jobs on Defense and in the rebounding and forced turnover departments.  If we are a Thirty-some odd percent shooting team then we darn well better make sure the opponent doesn't grab rebounds and or scores at will. 

James and the gang are one of the worst shooting teams in the world right now.  With all the tatoos on this team, why not add one...The letter "D" and snap out of it and get back to the way they played just a few short weeks ago.  Pitt will be a major test...better bring the A game

MARQKC

• Starter
Re: Can Team Get On A Roll?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:25:51 PM »
I have to agree, as much as it pains me to. The team seems to have lost its spirit, its confidence in each other and its initiative. Rather like deer-in-the-headlights. They're playing "tight" (as John McEnroe describes it in his TV tennis color), and they need to loosen up, play confident and have some playground fun.

That, and make some free throws!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 12:43:46 PM »
In a NY minute
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 01:06:48 PM »
just look at the hot streak after our opening couple of BE losses.
has that much changed?
guess we'll see.

79Warrior

• All American
If Pitt beats us Saturday we are done. Team absolutely
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »
needs a good win.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Whoa!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 08:24:36 PM »
If Pitt beats us Saturday we are done. Team absolutely needs a good win.

You mean to tell me, if we don't beat the #1 or 2 team in the big east, and the #12 team in the country we're toast?  Geeze, that's a harsh life.

Yes, we need to take care of business, but if we were to lose to Pitt, we still have plenty of good wins for the season. 

Though...I think we can, and will beat Pitt on Sat  ;D

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:42:49 PM »
looking at the quality wins we do have this year and the games we've played in the BE, i dont see how we are even close to done for with a loss to Pitt on Saturday. However, I dont see that happening. MU is very fired up after the ND game and I have a feeling that they will be very fired up for gameday and continue to have Pitt's number.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 09:47:55 PM »
Right now G-Town and Louisville are the hottest teams in the BE and look to do really well in NYC.  Does Marquette have the goods to get on a roll of its own?  Losing four of the last five tells me these guys are baked.

Of course Syracuse, winners of four in a row, had previously lost 4 of their last 5 which was preceeded by a one point win over Cincy @ the Carrier Dome.

I guess they were baked too.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 10:06:01 PM »
MU is very fired up after the ND game and I have a feeling that they will be very fired up for gameday and continue to have Pitt's number.

Unfortunately, you could probably say the same thing about Pitt after their loss to Georgetown.  (Course we can hope for them beating West Virginia tomorrow.)  Plus they have a revenge as a motivation.  Fortunately the game is at our house so that helps.. and yes, we do have their number.  ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 10:53:41 PM »
This team can deffinetly get on a roll. Point and case Syracuse last year. The Cuse went into the BE tournament coming off 3 losses, including a humilitaing 69-108 loss to DePaul. They then preceeded to win the BE Tournament. Its a fairly similar situation. Lets try and stay confident... I think the boys can still pull it out

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 03:45:12 PM »
MU can definitely get on a roll.  Look at college b-ball this year, so many teams have had losing streaks and turned their season around. Duke lost 4 in a row and now are playing very well.  We can do the same thing.  Each year, the college b-ball season turns into playing well enough to get a good seed in then seeing what happens in the tourney. While there is a lot of negativity right now as a result of our losses, we are battle tested entering the tourney and a team will have to play well to beat us.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Whoa!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 07:46:05 PM »

You mean to tell me, if we don't beat the #1 or 2 team in the big east, and the #12 team in the country we're toast?  Geeze, that's a harsh life.

Yes, we need to take care of business, but if we were to lose to Pitt, we still have plenty of good wins for the season. 

What I am saying is if we close the season losing 5 of the last six this team is done. You would have to be in complete denial to think that is the way to enter the post season. Psychologically and emotionally the team will be drained.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 08:01:17 PM »
What I am saying is if we close the season losing 5 of the last six this team is done. You would have to be in complete denial to think that is the way to enter the post season. Psychologically and emotionally the team will be drained.

I dunno.  Things can change fast.  Last year Syracuse was blown out in their last three regular season games (including 39 point loss at home to DPU).  'Cuse lost four of their last 6, and 5 of their last 8.  They were deader than dead (completely uncompetitive in those last three) yet somehow rallied to win the BET.

There's no reason to count MU out in 2007.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »
I dunno.  Things can change fast.  Last year Syracuse was blown out in their last three regular season games (including 39 point loss at home to DPU).  'Cuse lost four of their last 6, and 5 of their last 8.  They were deader than dead (completely uncompetitive in those last three) yet somehow rallied to win the BET.

There's no reason to count MU out in 2007.

Thanks for repeating my post  ;)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 08:36:24 PM »
my pleasure. 

not sure why folks are so quick to end MU's season

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 08:52:59 PM »

Didn't we just get done talking about the 1977 team and others that floundered down the stretch only to find magic in the tournament?

Yes, they could be done.  Then again, who knows.   The reverse logic doesn't seem to work...how many teams have we seen hot as hell (Syracuse last year) that go out in the first round?  I know people love to say "they were spent" or whatever, but that doesn't explain how other conference tournament champions find there way advancing deep into the tournament.

Simply put, no one knows.  It's all speculation.  Each game is unique, each day is different, each matchup an opportunity.  We just don't know.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 09:44:36 PM »
Every tournament brings its own stories.  We could get bounced in round 1.  We could get to the Sweet 16.  Who knows?  Play the games and see what happens.  As far as the initial question is concerned, yes I think this team is capable of getting on a roll.

Virginia Warrior 77

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 07:11:33 AM »
There's no reason to be jumping off the ledge.  Regardless of the outcome of the Pitt game (which I think they will win), MU has the opportunity to turn it around in the BET.  I would rather see them go into the NCAAs with momentum from winning games in the BET, than having no momentum like last year.  They also should have a high level of motivation for the BET with the possibility of rematches with G-town, L-ville, and ND.  It'll be fun to watch.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 08:03:29 AM »
At this point in the season, they will need to play with a purpose.  Am I wrong or did you also get the sense that the team hit the skids once it was a lock for the NCAA tourney?  They need that chip on their shoulder and a little team mental toughness.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 08:27:33 AM »
At this point in the season, they will need to play with a purpose.  Am I wrong or did you also get the sense that the team hit the skids once it was a lock for the NCAA tourney?  They need that chip on their shoulder and a little team mental toughness.

I dont think they hit the skids once a bid was locked up -- that Nova win was the clincher.

Lets break down the tough stretch:
- Marquette lost on the road at Georgetown - one of the hottest teams in the country and likely the best team in the league. 
- MU followed that up with a loss at DePaul -- a place where Kansas, UConn, and ND also lost.  I hated losing that game (clearly MU didnt play its best ball) but that's a long way from insinuating that the team played with no purpose. 
- Next, MU lost a heartbreaker to 'Ville.  It happens.  (too often with Ville)
- MU then handed Nova its worst loss of the season
- MU then lost at ND -- just like the 17 other teams that visited South Bend this year.[/li][/list]

Tough, frustrating stretch?  absolutely
Has MU been competitive?  absolutely
Has MU lacked 'purpose' (whatever that is)?  No

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »
G'town was a major breakdown...score was practically tied with six or seven minutes to go and then they got hammered by a 26-3 run!  Louisville loss was tough to take but it came down to more of the same poor execution toward game end and an incapacity to protect the lead and hit free throws...up by five at home in front of almost 19K...god that was tough to watch. 

DePaul and ND losses were cheezy losses for a bunch of reasons, including flat out poor play.  MU beat Pitt at home and snapped their win streak, beat UCONN at home and snapped their win streak, won two on in Kansas City...we should have beaten DePaul and ND in their gyms.

What I mean by purpose is the intangible...something to play for...a senior, a top seed...to defeat a rival, snap a home win streak...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 01:53:17 PM »
Marquette started the season on a roll and had a very 4 week run through the BE.   So they have proven they are capable of winning a bunch of games in a row against good competition.   The only question is 'will they'?    I would like to think that we are taking this off week to take a deep breath and refocus for a really nice stretch run.  How about winning 8 out of 10?   Lose in the BE final, and in the final 4.   Of course losing those two games in those two venues will only prove that TC can't coach and needs to be fired because any team with 10 losses by definition underachieved,  but I would happily accept that scenario.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.