Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Players going to class  (Read 19630 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Players going to class
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 06:47:49 PM »
Second semester senior year I had a couple of credits to blow before graduation. Took "Individual and Dual  Sports." Course consisted of tennis, golf, and bowling. Several basketball players were enrolled including Mark Ostrand, Kurt Spychalla, George Frazier, and Maurice Lucas.
Both Frazier and Lucas were part of my 4 man bowling team and we played at the YMCA on 10th and Wisconsin. George sucked at bowling and I don't think ever sniffed a score over 75. Luke, on the other hand, while fundamentally unsound, scored 160 the first game he played.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 07:57:28 AM »
Had Yous in my Coaching class first semester last year. He was there every day and sat in the front.

Hopefully off to the side.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »
Hopefully off to the side.

I sat behind Kinsella during Phil 50.  He set a really good screen on the teacher's line of sight, resulting in naps without consequence for me.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »
I sat behind Kinsella during Phil 50.  He set a really good screen on the teacher's line of sight, resulting in naps without consequence for me.

I wonder if Chris Grimm switched seats often mid-class, frustrating the would-be nappers with a moving screen.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »
Second semester senior year I had a couple of credits to blow before graduation. Took "Individual and Dual  Sports." Course consisted of tennis, golf, and bowling.

Whatever happened to all these classes?  Just a couple years ago, I too had some time to blow before graduation just to stay a full timer and would have loved something like this.  Had to settle for two history classes on interesting topics.  They were fine, but they weren't golf and bowling.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
Whatever happened to all these classes?  Just a couple years ago, I too had some time to blow before graduation just to stay a full timer and would have loved something like this.  Had to settle for two history classes on interesting topics.  They were fine, but they weren't golf and bowling.

I think they dropped them because you should be paying for an education, not a GPA.

I took History of Jazz, and Acting for Non-Majors... those were the biggest screw around classes I could find... I needed a break from all the biomed stuff... plus I took all of the Health Science classes... so I figured, what the hell.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »
I wonder if Chris Grimm switched seats often mid-class, frustrating the would-be nappers with a moving screen.

+111110001015465468490

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 02:59:45 PM »
I had a science class with Lazar last semester, I only remember him showing up to class a few times, one time he waltzed in 30 minutes late in a huge lecture hall, the professor didn't seem to mind.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
Science class?  What was it?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 12:29:52 AM »

No kidding, this stuff didn't exist when I was there.  Not that I remember anyway.

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 07:24:20 AM »
Science class?  What was it?

It was called Concepts of Modern Science and it filled the core science requirement. It was a joke. I had that class with Zar too, and in fairness, all of the Seniors were given the option to take the class online and only show up on Mondays.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 08:12:14 AM »
I had a Theology class with Trevor Powell his senior year.  He sat in the back with his headphones on every day until basketball season was over.  Then we never saw him.

maybe he had a hearing impairment or the professors lecture was being translated into something trevor could understand-put into rap music...? ;D

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
Am I wrong in assuming that everyone who has had more than 2 basketball player classmates a communication major/minor?

I don't even think there was a person who could start on a middle school team in my classes.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
Am I wrong in assuming that everyone who has had more than 2 basketball player classmates a communication major/minor?

I don't even think there was a person who could start on a middle school team in my classes.

I had 2 girls in one of my classes once.  Stupid engineering school.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »

For the record, I was a communications major (should I be admitting that?), and I only had one basketball player in class in four years -- Ty Baldwin.  If memory serves me, he attended regularly.

Edited to add that I just remembered I had Joe Nethen in a class freshman year.  I forgot about that.  So, I guess that helps prove the point you were making.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »
I had 2 girls in one of my classes once.  Stupid engineering school.

Depending on the years you were at Marquette, my wife might have been one of them (87-91).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 12:42:26 PM »

I had 2 bball players in one of Prof Daniels upper level econ classes my senior year.  (International Currency Markets IIRC)

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »

This is a legitimate post-of-the-year candidate. Well done.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 12:50:09 PM »

There's a lot of overlap between the Communications core requirements and the A&S requirements.  So even the guys majoring in Communications have to take English, Philosphy, Theology, History etc....or at least they did back when I was in school.  

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »

This reminds me of one of my all time favorite comments on Chris Grimm

I happened to be attend the wedding of one of MU's former players where Grimm was in the wedding party along with multiple other MU BB guys. My friend next to me leaned over during the ceremony and said to me "that's the longest I've ever seen Grimm around the team without being whistled for a moving screen."

Almost lost it right there.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

IT major eh?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
IT major eh?

Computer science. 

There were a few guys who were on a decent intermural flag football team every year.  They beat my team in a championship game.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 05:11:15 PM »
IT major eh?
In late 70's there was ONE big MU school computer. We learned a 10 line BASIC program, and genl theory. I guess 4tran and cobal (sp?) were also around...but engineers were just beginning to throw slide rules away!
We studied by reading books---do they still do that now--lol?
I did not have classes with any BB players, but Butch Lee smoked me often on the foosball table in the St. Union.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »
Doc Rivers and I actually got to know each other reasonably well through a Liberal Arts class (don't recall exact one) my Junior year.  He was there every day and a decent B student as I recall.  Have no idea if Hank and Rick were riding his butt but he was a very nice, thoughtful kid.  Of course we know how his life turned out.

Through the years, most MU ballers have been very good guys and were well prepared by my university for life after B-ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »
I had a few classes with Tom Copa.    Really nice guy.   I only chatted casually with him, but he was always very gracious.    We had a poli-sci class together during the spring of 87.    Visiting prof.   The prof announce on Friday that he would like to have a review session for our Monday final, but the classrooms are closed over the weekend.   Being MU in the late 80's we suggest we meet at a bar for the study session.   He expresses skepticism.   We convince him to meet us at Hegarty's on Sunday evening.   Turns out he had a weakness for Guinness on tap, which Heg's had.  IIRC, Copa was the one who bought him the drinks as the prof became more expansive about what he wanted on his essay questions.    I nursed a beer, took really good notes, and filled up a bluebook the next day in 45 minutes, acing the final.    Ah, college.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.