Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Players going to class  (Read 19631 times)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Re: Players going to class
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »
for the record my roommie (who I miss so much it hurts sometimes) was not as unathletic as I implied. He played ball for countless years, baseball, ran cross country, and played hockey.

By comparison I was 3rd string b team in 8th grade, 3rd string 9th grade. A mediocre Jv golfer and broke my ribs in freshman football in practice. My roommate is far more superior athleticly than I am.

HOWEVER, I meant by comparison to the players in his athletic ability.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 01:55:57 PM »
I'm bumping this thread to ask a question.  The original poster mentions a video on Cracked Sidewalks from June 2010.  I looked in the archives and found the thread, but the video has been removed.  Anyone know where I can find it?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 02:04:02 PM »
I wonder if Chris Grimm switched seats often mid-class, frustrating the would-be nappers with a moving screen.

Rack 'em.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2010, 02:20:26 PM »
Am I wrong in assuming that everyone who has had more than 2 basketball player classmates a communication major/minor?

I don't even think there was a person who could start on a middle school team in my classes.

Engineer?? haha

(me too)

I did have Latin American History with Cubillan. haha. Being from Venezuela, we were able to just sit in the back on ESPN.com for the whole 1:15. I do remember a coach peering in every once in a while too.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »
In late 70's there was ONE big MU school computer. We learned a 10 line BASIC program, and genl theory. I guess 4tran and cobal (sp?) were also around...but engineers were just beginning to throw slide rules away!
We studied by reading books---do they still do that now--lol?
I did not have classes with any BB players, but Butch Lee smoked me often on the foosball table in the St. Union.

Intro to computer science is still taught with books and chalkboard (at least it was in Fall of 2004). Pretty interesting class. Learning all the basics with pencil and paper.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:25:45 PM by Victor McCormick »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 02:22:43 PM »
Also, I had Grimm in an Education class (he was an education major, I believe...one of the few non-Comm. majors). He was always there, but also always sleeping in the back row.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
I had Jerel and Scotty C in acting for non-theater majors (there were also 4 or 5 ladies from the women's bball and soccer teams, non-athletes such as myself were in the minority). Although the class was really easy (no homework, a monologue and a dialogue with a partner for a midterm and final) Jerel did a monologue from "Raisin in the Sun." It was actually really really good, you could tell he put some time into preparing...remembered his lines and put some emotion into it.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »
Speaking of weight room commitments, during the first semester of his freshman year Joe Krysziak (sp?) worked out on the crappy Universal at the rec center with the rest of us joes.  He didn't even get use of the free weights upstairs that were part of the "weightlifting club".  Things are a little different now.

At that time hoops was not the extraordinary year-round commitment it is now -- there were no real expectations other than pickup games and weight room commitments.  No excuse for not going to class, but circumstances were different 20 yrs ago.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »
Sam Worthen and O Lee shared a suite in McCormick. I believe they spent every evening and many afternoons cramming for a course in Herbal Remedies.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2010, 10:31:54 PM »
“I wanted to defy the assumption of the black ballplayer who's stupid."  -Ulice Payne
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2010, 11:45:45 PM »
“I wanted to defy the assumption of the black ballplayer who's stupid."  -Ulice Payne

Coming out of high school UP was the Dapper Dan Roundball Player of the Year when that was a very big deal.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2010, 12:12:48 AM »
Great.
Charles Jefferson...

for Earth, Wind and Fire
and little brother.

I'll let you know when
they come around, okay?

Wow! Does he really live here?
I thought he just flew in for games.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2010, 12:09:19 PM »
Okay, I will show my age. I sat next to Bo Ellis and Craig Butrym in Theology of Marriage. They were there, except when the team was traveling. Dumbest question I asked Bo. They were going to play Kentucky in NCAA tournament and Kentucky suppose to be a good rebounding team. I looked at their stats and every player on Kentucky was averaging 6 rebounds a game. I asked Ellis how can they be such a good rebounding team when they had no good rebounders. He told me they were a very good rebounding team. Kentucky destroyed us.

Any of you guys ask any dumb questions?

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04:19 PM »
Dwight Buycks is in my American History class, he sits a few rows in front of me, much to my suprise he has been to every class and every discussion section.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2010, 01:12:32 PM »
Here is the general rule of class attendance for male basketball players: Until they are in the 2nd semester of their senior year (and the basketball season is over), they must attend every class unless excused because of game travel  Coach Crean assigned basketball staff to visit every class to make sure that student athletes were in class.  Buzz does not utilize this method, except for freshman during their first summer session courses.  Faculty are asked to submit periodic performance reports (attendance, test scores, paprs, etc.), but are not required todo so (and many don't).  Of all the D1 athletic teams, the men's basketball program scrutinizes class attendance the most.  And, believe it or not, coaches have no interaction with Professors, unless initiated by the Professor.  Nearly all interaction between Professors and athletes is through academic support staff.

Bertface

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2010, 02:13:18 PM »
I'm currently a junior and DJO and Jamail Jones are in two of my classes they tend to be there all of the time

boyonthedock

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »
dom james and wes matthews were at every  history 2 with naylor class their freshman year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »
Sam Worthen and O Lee shared a suite in McCormick. I believe they spent every evening and many afternoons cramming for a course in Herbal Remedies.
[/quote

Oliver probably studied the Cliff notes on "How To Lift A Credit Card" also.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:04:12 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback