Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: TX Apparently Leaning Pac-10  (Read 4412 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
TX Apparently Leaning Pac-10
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:53:07 AM »
ESPN seems to have a lot of sources for every rumor in the sports world.  They seem to be pointing toward TX going to the Pac-10 with Texas Tech, OK, OK st.   A&M not mentioned to Pac-10 but rather SEC right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

Maybe the Pac-10 will take the Zags and set a precedent for Bball only schools in the BCS conferences since A&M is leaning SEC!

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
Re: TX Apparently Leaning Pac-10
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:03:45 AM »
This isnt surprising. What is interesting is figuring out whether aTm is a SEC lean or not (and whether they get invited).

The biggest concern at this point is an SEC expansion that includes an ACC team. If you recall, the AD's of the catholic BE contigent met a few weeks ago and collectively said that if 2 BE football schools leave then they will split from the conference. So, if the SEC takes an ACC team, the ACC will likely take a BE team. After this happens, the B10 could force ND's hand by taking Rutgers. With two football schools gone, the split would then happen and ND would be forced to join the B10. I think this is a very plausible scenario...

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »
This isnt surprising. What is interesting is figuring out whether aTm is a SEC lean or not (and whether they get invited).

The biggest concern at this point is an SEC expansion that includes an ACC team. If you recall, the AD's of the catholic BE contigent met a few weeks ago and collectively said that if 2 BE football schools leave then they will split from the conference. So, if the SEC takes an ACC team, the ACC will likely take a BE team. After this happens, the B10 could force ND's hand by taking Rutgers. With two football schools gone, the split would then happen and ND would be forced to join the B10. I think this is a very plausible scenario...

Its just getting stupid. Orangebloods is basically reporting the opposite, with Texas committing to a 10 team Big XII. I think its posturing by Texas so they are not blamed for destroying the conference, putting the fault on A&M and Nebraska.

http://www.hookem.com/
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
Ya, maybe the joke is on us.  These websites are making a lot of cash on ads when people click on these rumors.   

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »
Chip Brown and orangebloods appear to be the Big 12/Texas' internet soundboard. 

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:45:27 PM »
I love it - the Big 12 goes down to 10 teams while the Big 10 goes up to 12 teams.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
Chip Brown and orangebloods appear to be the Big 12/Texas' internet soundboard. 

This is UT creating pressure on the Aggies to keep the Big12 alive ... Aggies' Board of Regents meets on Thursday -- the Eyes of Texas will be upon them.  Will that group have the stones to walk away and kiil the Big 12 once and for all?

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 01:01:23 PM »
This is UT creating pressure on the Aggies to keep the Big12 alive ... Aggies' Board of Regents meets on Thursday -- the Eyes of Texas will be upon them.  Will that group have the stones to walk away and kiil the Big 12 once and for all?

+1

I think this is it.  UTex administration wants it to look like it's still potentially on board with the Big12.  Then when TAMU walks away to the SEC, UTex will have "no choice" but to go to the Pac10(16?).

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
+1

I think this is it.  UTex administration wants it to look like it's still potentially on board with the Big12.  Then when TAMU walks away to the SEC, UTex will have "no choice" but to go to the Pac10(16?).

UT wins either way -- A&M is the bad guy who kills tradition and UT is forced to the PAC10.   Or all parties stick around in the weaker Big 12 lite.  In the latter scenario Brown reports that UT would  have the right to establish its own television network and pursue revenue via other means outside of bounds of conference revenue sharing.  That'd be huge for the Horns (since they already benefit from a similar structure within the current B12 charter) -- meanwhile the conference can look to expand in subsequent years to further augment revenu.  UT is a great brand and even a regional network would be worth the risk.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:16:21 PM by NYWarrior »

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »
I hope all the fans in OK and TX like staying up until midnight when their teams games start in oregon wash and california  and reading it in the paper not the next day but the day after.   ithink that will be very frustrating for the fans

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
The only winning that matters between Texas and A&M is who ends up in a better conference for football.

Right now A&M looks to have better prospects.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »
The only winning that matters between Texas and A&M is who ends up in a better conference for football.  Right now A&M looks to have better prospects.

Not necessarily.  Texas would dominate the PAC10 for years given USC's probation and the soft underbelly of that league.  Moreover, UT has always recruited well in Cali and other Western states (Ricky Williams, Bo Sciafe) and will keep dominating at home.

Meanwhile A&M would go from the 3rd largest athletic budget to the 8th largest if they move to the SEC where they'd get pounded for years while trying to gain a foothold in the upper tier of the league.  Overall A&M's facilities are lagging and their athletic fundraising has been off the mark for years inhibiting their ability to match others in the facilities/endowment arms race. That would only get worse in the spend-happy SEC.

Move to the PAC10 and the Ags would be very competitive immediately, status quo in Big12 lite.  

SEC?  They'd be buried for a while but it would be recoverable if they can find their own T. Boone Pickens.  Lots of fear and loathing in Aggieland about their inability to overcome these SEC-related issues in the short to mid-term.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:45:25 PM by NYWarrior »

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 02:00:40 PM »
Geez....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5285680

Now, ESPN reports rumors that they are trying to salvage the Big 12.  (I think from the similar source as posted above.)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »
I hope all the fans in OK and TX like staying up until midnight when their teams games start in oregon wash and california  and reading it in the paper not the next day but the day after.   ithink that will be very frustrating for the fans

Newspapers....do people even read them any longer?  This is the digital age.  How on earth do all the fans of the Texas Rangers survive when they play the Angels or A's?  How on earth do the Dallas Stars fans survive when they play the Ducks, Kings or Sharks?   The Mavs fans when they play the Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Blazers?

Something tells me they'll be just fine.  For football, games are all on Saturdays anyway, so they'll just have to sleep in a little longer on Sunday morning.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 02:26:46 PM »
Not necessarily.  Texas would dominate the PAC10 for years given USC's probation and the soft underbelly of that league.  Moreover, UT has always recruited well in Cali and other Western states (Ricky Williams, Bo Sciafe) and will keep dominating at home.

Other than last year, the Pac Ten has done extremely well in football.  Including a couple of absolute ass kickings by UCLA on Texas last two times they met.  Texas will find playing at Cal, at Oregon, etc are no walks in the park.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 02:31:54 PM »
Other than last year, the Pac Ten has done extremely well in football.  Including a couple of absolute ass kickings by UCLA on Texas last two times they met.  Texas will find playing at Cal, at Oregon, etc are no walks in the park.

Well, my understanding is that there will be very little cross division play between the east and the west.  Texas will clearly be the best team in the Pac Ten East, but Oklahoma is good, and Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah are probably better than TAMU and Baylor.

The Pac Ten West is better than the current Big 12 North.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »

Well, my understanding is that there will be very little cross division play between the east and the west.  Texas will clearly be the best team in the Pac Ten East, but Oklahoma is good, and Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah are probably better than TAMU and Baylor.

The Pac Ten West is better than the current Big 12 North.

For football, yes...for basketball, I believe cross division play will happen to some extent. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 02:47:53 PM »
Other than last year, the Pac Ten has done extremely well in football.  Including a couple of absolute ass kickings by UCLA on Texas last two times they met.  Texas will find playing at Cal, at Oregon, etc are no walks in the park.

Do you mean UCLA beating Texas 66-3 in 1997 or the 49-31 in 1998??  Thanks for the trip in the Wayback Machine, Peabody. ;D  Mackovic was still coaching the Horns in 97, Chicos.

Sure Texas will find it tough playing at Cal and at Oregon -- but with Oregon's program in a world of hurt off the field and Tedford's teams routinely choking in its biggest games you'd have to like Texas' chances (since they have won in places like Lincoln, Dallas, Columbus, and Fayetteville in recent years).  Add in USC on probation, a perennially rebuilding UCLA, underachieving Arizona schools, god-awful Wazzu, and middlin' UW......The Longhorn Express (or Sooner express) would roll for a few years if they join the Pac-10 now.  The league is down.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 02:56:10 PM by NYWarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »
Do you mean UCLA beating Texas 66-3 in 1997 or the 49-31 in 1998??  Thanks for the trip in the Wayback Machine, Peabody. ;D  Mackovic was still coaching the Horns in 97, Chicos.

Sure Texas will find it tough playing at Cal and at Oregon -- but with Oregon's program in a world of hurt off the field and Tedford's teams routinely choking in its biggest games you'd have to like Texas' chances (since they have won in places like Lincoln, Dallas, Columbus, and Fayetteville in recent years).  Add in USC on probation, a perennially rebuilding UCLA, underachieving Arizona schools, god-awful Wazzu, and middlin' UW......The Longhorn Express (or Sooner express) would roll for a few years if they join the Pac-10 now.  The league is down.

LOL.  Yeah, my memory remembers the asskicking, just not the dates.  By the way, since 2000....Texas is 3-3 against the Pac Ten, all under Mack Brown.  That one I looked up to verify.   ;).  By the way, the losses were to Stanford & Washington State among others.

The Pac Ten has done pretty darn well against the power conferences.  It's been awhile since I looked at it, but going into last year the Pac Ten (if I remember correctly) had a winning record against the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 in the 2000's.  

We'll see just how down the Pac Ten is.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:05:57 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »

LOL.  Yeah, my memory remembers the asskicking, just not the dates.  By the way, since 2000....Texas is 3-3 against the Pac Ten, all under Mack Brown.  That one I looked up to verify.   ;)

2 of those 3 losses happened 9 seasons ago.....but ok, the sample size is a non-factor for either side of the argument. Still, it is ok to admit that the Pac-10 is not likely as strong as it was when say, its best team was not on crippling probation.     ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:11:32 PM by NYWarrior »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 04:06:14 PM »

The Pac Ten has done pretty darn well against the power conferences.  It's been awhile since I looked at it, but going into last year the Pac Ten (if I remember correctly) had a winning record against the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 in the 2000's.  

If you take USC out of the equation I'd be curious to see if this is still true.  I don't have time to look it up but I'd bet somebody on here does  ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 04:10:43 PM »
2 of those 3 losses happened 9 seasons ago.....but OK, the sample size is a non-factor for either side of the argument. Still, it is ok to admit that the Pac-10 is not likely as strong as it was when say, its best team was not on crippling probation.     ;D

As much as I hate USC, I think they'll still be very good and will not be crippled by their sanctions. 

We'll see.  Texas may still keep it going, I"m sure they will.  The Pac Ten overall against the Big 12, SEC, SEC, Big Ten has done really well the last decade plus...I don't see that ending.  Washington is coming back, Stanford is now legit, UCLA is coming back (went 2-0 vs SEC and Big 12 last year), etc.  Should be fun, it any of this even happens.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 04:20:39 PM »
If you take USC out of the equation I'd be curious to see if this is still true.  I don't have time to look it up but I'd bet somebody on here does  ;)

It would be close.  Just an example from last year alone (I didn't look at bowl games just regular season schedules)

UCLA over Kansas State  (Big 12)  W
UCLA over Tennessee (SEC)  W
Oregon over Purdue (Big Ten) W
LSU over Washington (SEC)  L
Iowa over Arizona (Big Ten) L
Georgia over Arizona State (SEC) L
California over Minnesota (Big Ten) W

4-3 excluding USC.  The Pac Ten did horrible in bowl games last year, first time they finished below .500 in years so I'm sure that takes down the record (Oregon lost to Ohio State for example, but I can't remember the other games).

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 05:05:15 PM »
Chicos, you are a never-ending font of information.  I'll give you credit for that. 

The only relevant bowl result I remember is Nebraska blowing out ASU.  I'm a Nebraska native (which means I'm a die hard Husker) so I can almost always remember the results of their games. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
KU and K-State probably giving up their souls
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »
If Texas stays in the Big 12, erh Southern Big Ten, does the music stop?  At least for a year or two? 

If Texas stays and A&M stays, then that means the Big 12 remains in tact with 2 less teams.

Utah probably goes to the Pac Ten as a 12th member.

Notre Dame, remains out there as a huge domino.  Big Ten says they are stopping for 12 months and then will re-evaluate. 

Of course, if A&M leaves to the SEC then the fun really begins.

Kansas and Kansas State right now are probably giving up their souls to make sure Texas and A&M keep the conference together.

feedback