[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: what the heck is mu thinking??  (Read 8017 times)

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
what the heck is mu thinking??
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:14 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/94360179.html

is this the best they can do?  what is the percentage of gay/lesbian/transgender/whatever people compared to umm, heterosexual people.  is there such a screaming demand to fill our deanship positions with a person of other desires or lifestyles??  if there is, i didn't get the questionaire and probably would have suggested someone with a diverse EDUCATIONAL background.  wow!! how times havechanged.  my grandpa is probably spitting up in his mouth right now, in his grave.  God help us all...puhleeze

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: what the heck is mu thinking??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:32:50 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/94360179.html

is this the best they can do?  what is the percentage of gay/lesbian/transgender/whatever people compared to umm, heterosexual people.  is there such a screaming demand to fill our deanship positions with a person of other desires or lifestyles??  if there is, i didn't get the questionaire and probably would have suggested someone with a diverse EDUCATIONAL background.  wow!! how times havechanged.  my grandpa is probably spitting up in his mouth right now, in his grave.  God help us all...puhleeze

who the hell gives a flying frack what someones sexual orientation is the job they do? you probably dont want to hire a black person then either because of the minimal african american studies students at mu - right?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:34:27 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »
Chili
That is too predictable and PC a retort and  unfitting a MU grad.I'm sorry but have you missed the other thread? The candidate was not up to par. I for one want to see someone of note from an institution with a reputation not someone laboring at  an obscure little Liberal Arts school nobody has heard of. Time for Marquette to expand its horizons and build a reputation for excellance not try to exhibit how diverse we can be.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:54:48 AM »
Chili
That is too predictable and PC a retort and  unfitting a MU grad.I'm sorry but have you missed the other thread? The candidate was not up to par. I for one want to see someone of note from an institution with a reputation not someone laboring at  an obscure little Liberal Arts school nobody has heard of. Time for Marquette to expand its horizons and build a reputation for excellance not try to exhibit how diverse we can be.

I'm sorry, I missed the part of that other thread where we all decided that she wasn't up to par... I thought it was pretty apparent no one knew what the hell they were talking about when it came to evaluating the scholarship of a prospective dean.  Also, Seattle University is a Jesuit college, not some obscure liberal arts school... unless you consider MU nothing but a liberal arts school, in which case there also would be no conflict with the hire...

Also, the link is broken. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:03:00 AM by shiloh26 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:47:24 AM »
who the hell gives a flying frack what someones sexual orientation is the job they do? you probably dont want to hire a black person then either because of the minimal african american studies students at mu - right?

The Pope disagrees with you. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:41:16 AM »
Can someone enlarge on this?  The link is down.  What other thread?

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 05:59:32 AM »
try this one:http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/94360179.html

if this is still not working, the full article can be found on the milwaukee journalsentinal online or todays paper may have it as it broke last night at 10:00 pm.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 06:22:10 AM »
ya know, i honestly don't care what a persons race or lifestyle is either, but it seems the stories always lead with that, then go on to tell you what their qualifications/resume is.  i'm a don't ask, don't tell dude.  but many of these peoples agendas are either fueled by these lifestyles or viewed through that  narrow prism.  hey, we are getting to a point in our macro view of society where race isn't/shouldn't matter because, first of all, it just shouldn't-we are all human beings from one creator(in my case God, with jesus the lord as his son) and secondly, we are truely becoming more and more of a true melting pot.  take our president for example=half black/half white, or tiger woods is really only about what, 18% black?  or something like that?  my physician, i think is gay-i'm not sure, but i don't want to know and i don't care-i see her as my physician and i like her as my physician.  she treats me as a person, neither gay or straight.  when mu hires someone, they should not be transfixed on this sexual orientation thing.  it's the credentials STUPID.  i think the liberals are the ones with a narrow mind here even though they will fight tooth and nail denying it.  what if they were to hire karl rove or glen beck?  what if they were gay?  oh black you say-how about thomas sowell or clarence thomas-hey even better   condolezza rice, and some have said she may even be gay-who cares-they are geat minds in my mind-peace         

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 06:28:29 AM »
Talk about pulling back the curtain on behind the scenes decision-makers at MU! The people protesting the rescinding of this offer -- the vocal minority (overwhelming minority, I might add) -- are the same people who prevented us from taking back our nickname, despite OVERWHELMING SUPPORT!!!

It's time people stop being afraid of these PC police!

Chili

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 06:35:05 AM »

The same guy who oks touching little boys.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »
Chili
That is too predictable and PC a retort and  unfitting a MU grad.I'm sorry but have you missed the other thread? The candidate was not up to par. I for one want to see someone of note from an institution with a reputation not someone laboring at  an obscure little Liberal Arts school nobody has heard of. Time for Marquette to expand its horizons and build a reputation for excellance not try to exhibit how diverse we can be.

PC? Hardly. I would rather judge people on who they are and what they do. The body of this thread had solely to do with the persons sexual orientation not with what MU did. He wasn't talking about O'Brien but rather another person who MU had offered the job to back in 2001.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:34 AM »
ya know, i honestly don't care what a persons race or lifestyle is either, but it seems the stories always lead with that, then go on to tell you what their qualifications/resume is.  i'm a don't ask, don't tell dude.  but many of these peoples agendas are either fueled by these lifestyles or viewed through that  narrow prism.  hey, we are getting to a point in our macro view of society where race isn't/shouldn't matter because, first of all, it just shouldn't-we are all human beings from one creator(in my case God, with jesus the lord as his son) and secondly, we are truely becoming more and more of a true melting pot.  take our president for example=half black/half white, or tiger woods is really only about what, 18% black?  or something like that?  my physician, i think is gay-i'm not sure, but i don't want to know and i don't care-i see her as my physician and i like her as my physician.  she treats me as a person, neither gay or straight.  when mu hires someone, they should not be transfixed on this sexual orientation thing.  it's the credentials STUPID.  i think the liberals are the ones with a narrow mind here even though they will fight tooth and nail denying it.  what if they were to hire karl rove or glen beck?  what if they were gay?  oh black you say-how about thomas sowell or clarence thomas-hey even better   condolezza rice, and some have said she may even be gay-who cares-they are geat minds in my mind-peace         

If Jodi O'Brien's area of research was European History, and had a similar professional path, would you be going on and on about her credentials?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 06:55:12 AM »

Damning with feint praise.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:18:13 AM »

If Jodi O'Brien's area of research was European History, and had a similar professional path, would you be going on and on about her credentials?
a swing and a......miss
 first of all, this is a whole different topic-jodi is old news.  the topic du jour is the forest through the trees.  is mu's help wanted sign say needed-gay/lesbian/transgender/bisexual/the weirder the better/we'll even take s&m damnit,and then oh yeah for our position of dean of arts and sciences dept. pls. write about all of your life experiences and those of people you know.  oh, and if it has anything to do with education in say arts and sciences, no need to bore us with that mundane stuff.  the freakier, the better.  now, about jodi's credentials?? you probably meant to say lack there of

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 07:47:24 AM »
a swing and a......miss
 first of all, this is a whole different topic-jodi is old news.  the topic du jour is the forest through the trees.  is mu's help wanted sign say needed-gay/lesbian/transgender/bisexual/the weirder the better/we'll even take s&m damnit,and then oh yeah for our position of dean of arts and sciences dept. pls. write about all of your life experiences and those of people you know.  oh, and if it has anything to do with education in say arts and sciences, no need to bore us with that mundane stuff.  the freakier, the better.  now, about jodi's credentials?? you probably meant to say lack there of

You're the one that said "it's the credentials STUPID."  So I am addressing the credentials of a recent candidate that you have ripped in another thread. 

Working in highed ed as I do, Dr. O'Brien's credentials are pretty much what you get out of a dean...promotion to full professor, department chair, dean.  So don't tell me that her job credentials were sub-par...they aren't.  You seem hung up on her research credentials.

So answer the question...if her area of research were European History, would you have a problem with her?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »

I can't even take half the stuff you say seriously.

Oh, and keep the politics to yourself.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »
The Catholic Church is stuck in the 12th century.  Canon Law is mostly 800 years old.  Do you think some updates (not wholesale changes) to Catholic Doctrine (Dogma) would be appropriate. 

Maybe some research on the nature of homosexuality has been completed in the last 800 years.  You would think that a Jesuit University would want to uncover the truth. 

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »

You're the one that said "it's the credentials STUPID."  So I am addressing the credentials of a recent candidate that you have ripped in another thread. 

Working in highed ed as I do, Dr. O'Brien's credentials are pretty much what you get out of a dean...promotion to full professor, department chair, dean.  So don't tell me that her job credentials were sub-par...they aren't.  You seem hung up on her research credentials.

So answer the question...if her area of research were European History, would you have a problem with her?
my apologies-you're right.  if her area of research was european history, i could work with that-sorry-must have been the coffee ;D

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »
I can't even take half the stuff you say seriously.

Oh, and keep the politics to yourself.
hardguy-get over yerself

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 11:55:02 AM »
my apologies-you're right.  if her area of research was european history, i could work with that-sorry-must have been the coffee ;D

OK...so you are of the opinion that the only reason she shouldn't get the Dean's job is because you don't think her area of research is legitimate? 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »

OK...so you are of the opinion that the only reason she shouldn't get the Dean's job is because you don't think her area of research is legitimate? 

ya know, I can't speak for wyzgy, but I got the impression from the posts that the point being made was that being gay- in and of itself- is NOT adequate credential for the position.  that being put aside, she was, and is, lacking.

oh, and man are you guys argumentative... did I somehow get on a debate club website rather than muscoop?  I appreciate the various opinions on the topic, but leave the personal attack crap out. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »
At the risk of repeating myself(again)  GO OUT AND GET SOMEONE TENURED FROM A EXCEPTIONAL  and RENOWNED UNIVERSITY. That's how you build Academic Reputation

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 01:15:27 PM »
At the risk of repeating myself(again)  GO OUT AND GET SOMEONE TENURED FROM A EXCEPTIONAL  and RENOWNED UNIVERSITY. That's how you build Academic Reputation

Damn, with those grammar skills maybe they should have just hired you.

feedback