[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: what the heck is mu thinking??  (Read 8019 times)

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
Re: what the heck is mu thinking??
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 02:24:46 PM »

OK...so you are of the opinion that the only reason she shouldn't get the Dean's job is because you don't think her area of research is legitimate? 

her research may be very adequate.  probably got all "A's" or smiley faces.  BUT, not exactly in a field that i believe is very diverse(she's largely about gayness) nor pertinent to our students in the arts and sciences.  she'd probably do better working for the gubment or teaching an elective class for san francisco u or berkeley or something

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »
her research may be very adequate.  probably got all "A's" or smiley faces.  BUT, not exactly in a field that i believe is very diverse(she's largely about gayness) nor pertinent to our students in the arts and sciences.  she'd probably do better working for the gubment or teaching an elective class for san francisco u or berkeley or something

You do realize that MU currently offers courses such as "The Sociology of Sex and Gender," "The Psychology of Gender Roles," and "Human Sexuality" right???

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 03:26:03 PM »

You do realize that MU currently offers courses such as "The Sociology of Sex and Gender," "The Psychology of Gender Roles," and "Human Sexuality" right???
they do? wow! man am i a cave man.  now are any of those teachers/professors the dean of a college?  did they apply for the dean of the arts and sciences?  if they didn't, they missed out on a promo as at one point in time they had all the qualifications according to fr. wild and the search committee.  missed their opportunity to apply, get accepted, then rejected, then file a big lawsuit and retire. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
Talk about pulling back the curtain on behind the scenes decision-makers at MU! The people protesting the rescinding of this offer -- the vocal minority (overwhelming minority, I might add) -- are the same people who prevented us from taking back our nickname, despite OVERWHELMING SUPPORT!!!

It's time people stop being afraid of these PC police!

DING DING DING.  We have a winner.  That's how MU works, that's how much of this country works.  Then the cries of "tyranny of the majority" come belching about soon after. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 03:49:38 PM »
you two are right, it is just a big conspiracy.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »

DING DING DING.  We have a winner.  That's how MU works, that's how much of this country works.  Then the cries of "tyranny of the majority" come belching about soon after. 

You are referring to my post on the other thread, but if you read it, you'll notice that I set up majority rule v. tyranny of the majority as a legitimate tension in a democracy, there were 'cries' of nothing. 

Some of you guys are so conditioned to throw up your hands in the air and exclaim PC!!! (Chicos I understand you have an actual opinion on this and have articulated it reasonably so don't take this one personally).  Generally though, its a convenient and transparent way to try and disclaim the other side, no matter what the actual terms of the argument are.  "You're just being PC" often just means "I'm not comfortable with this discussion." 

At the risk of repeating myself(again)  GO OUT AND GET SOMEONE TENURED FROM A EXCEPTIONAL  and RENOWNED UNIVERSITY. That's how you build Academic Reputation

What is your criteria for a renowned and exceptional university?    None of us knows that much about Seattle University, I recognize that and trust that the very competent people that researched her for 2 entire years know a little more than I.  The other leading candidate was from Binghamton, does he make the cut?  Why? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 06:49:32 PM »
You are referring to my post on the other thread, but if you read it, you'll notice that I set up majority rule v. tyranny of the majority as a legitimate tension in a democracy, there were 'cries' of nothing. 

Some of you guys are so conditioned to throw up your hands in the air and exclaim PC!!! (Chicos I understand you have an actual opinion on this and have articulated it reasonably so don't take this one personally).  Generally though, its a convenient and transparent way to try and disclaim the other side, no matter what the actual terms of the argument are.  "You're just being PC" often just means "I'm not comfortable with this discussion." 

What is your criteria for a renowned and exceptional university?    None of us knows that much about Seattle University, I recognize that and trust that the very competent people that researched her for 2 entire years know a little more than I.  The other leading candidate was from Binghamton, does he make the cut?  Why? 

Actually I wasn't referencing your post at all, but rather the discourse from the minority on any issue like this.  I hear it every year with elections, especially in this state which is driven by the initiative process.  The cries of the "tyranny of the majority" is an annual ritual whether it's immigration reform, gay marriage, etc, etc.  Like clockwork.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »
Fair enough, forgive my vanity.  :)

augoman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
as if MU's struggles w/ this situation aren't enough..., now that madison moron Barbara Lawton has waded into the fray by punishing the public- (she's withholding funds promised to the Hagarty museum..., pending her and the board's investigation).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 12:26:34 PM »
as if MU's struggles w/ this situation aren't enough..., now that madison moron Barbara Lawton has waded into the fray by punishing the public- (she's withholding funds promised to the Hagarty museum..., pending her and the board's investigation).

This is called...overplaying your hand.