[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Where else were you accepted before choosing Marquette?  (Read 20477 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Where else were you accepted before choosing Marquette?
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 11:11:34 PM »
New York University
Boston University (for PT)
UC San Diego

Marquette was my #1.
Physical Therapy was the reason.
But I'm not a PT... ;)
SS Marquette

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2010, 12:08:26 AM »
Texas A&M, Ole Miss and Purdue

chapman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
UW-Madison, UW-Eau Claire, Columbia, San Diego U, SDSU, Minnesota, Northern Michigan.  I went to the first name on that list for a semester, applied to MU and UWM and went to MU the next semester.  I remember my high school guidance counselor bothering me for weeks when UWEC sent him sme letter/certificate that pretty much offered me a full ride and I never even seriously considered it.  Also an interesting weekend at home freshman year telling your typical rural Wisconsin public school loving Badger fan parents who think UW-Madison is the greatest school ever that there is no way you're going back for the next semester and they can either have you live at home and spend time at community college, send you to lowly UWM, or send you to a private school that could cost at least three times as much.  Now you'll catch my father walking around town with his blue and gold cap and/or one of his gaudy MU jackets and taking opportunity to rip on the Badgers and my mother knows more about the latest MU news than I do.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:56:39 PM by chapman »

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
Accepted at Notre Dame, Creighton, St. Thomas, UW-LaCrosse... all the schools I applied to.  

Visited ND and didn't like the snobbery I felt nor the city of South Bend.  It came down to Marquette and Creighton and MU won out based on reputation, the superior city of Milwaukee (nothing against Omaha, but MKE is better) and an attractive, smart female tour guide at MU vs. a dumb, hungover male guide at Creighton.

Best choice I've ever made aside from marrying my wife.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:35:02 PM by MUViking »

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 01:05:44 PM »
University of Lawsonomy

reinko

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010, 01:06:28 PM »
Accepted at Notre Dame, Creighton, St. Thomas, UW-LaCrosse... all the schools I applied to.  

Visited ND and didn't like the snobbery I felt or the city of South Bend.  It came down to Marquette nd Creighton and MU won out based on reputation, the superior city of Milwaukee (nothing against Omaha, but MKE is better) and an attractive, smart female tour guide at MU vs. a dumb, hungover male guide at Creighton.

Best choice I've ever made, aside from marrying my wife.

But what if it was a dumb hot hungover female that toured you around Creighton?  Gamechanger perhaps?   8-)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2010, 01:07:57 PM »
Indiana
Purdue
Loyola (Chicago)
Lake Forest College
Lawrence College

I was well on my way to Indiana, Indiana when my best friend, with whom I had been planning to room with there since 9th grade, changed his mind last minute (or had his parents do it for him) and enrolled at Illinois. So I opted for MU.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:13:04 PM by Pakuni »

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »
But what if it was a dumb hot hungover female that toured you around Creighton?  Gamechanger perhaps?   8-)

Wish I could definitively say no, but I'm not sure I can.   ;D

In all seriousness, the tour guide thing was just icing.  I started leaning toward MU the first time I visited...

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
Boston college, BC, Notre Dame, Madison, Creighton and St. Thomas.  Chose MU because of the scholarship I received and the program I got into as an undergrad.  Best decision I ever made next to choosing my bride. 

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
SLU (stay in town) and Loyola-Chicago

Why I chose Marquette:
- Real Answer: they gave me the most money and because I heard about its drinking habit.
- What I say when on job interviews: I loved to city when I visited. Late Spring/early Summer is a great time to visit Milwaukee. Also, because, I knew I wanted to go into business, Marquette's proximity to downtown and the business schools relationship with the surrounding businesses was a major plus.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2010, 02:01:49 PM »
Madison, Illinois, Illinios-Chicago, Penn State, and MU....got into all of them but chose MU over Penn State(father's Alma Mater) because the next largest population to State College is the federal penitentiary 50 minutes down the road and I had a chance to play soccer at MU but not PSU.  Also liked the fact that class size was much smaller at MU engineering than PSU.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2010, 02:20:50 PM »
Accepted to:

Air Force Academy-bad eyes so couldn't fly
ND-hated the tour guide (asked everyone on the tour if they really think they are ND material)
Indiana-home state school
Wake Forest- father's high school BB teammate was a star there, so I took a tour with him

Denied
Madison----just kidding
Yale

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
Illinois, Purdue, Arkansas (parents alma mater).  Originally, MU was fourth on my list and I only applied because the application could be filled out during a study hall.  But through a set of coincidences and laziness, it ended up being the only school I visited.  The clincher was the Engineering Co-op program and the size of the school in comparison to PU/UI.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »
Applied to and was accepted at UW-Madison, Marquette, and Carleton.  Picked Marquette because it wasn't too big (Madison) or too small (Carleton).  It ended up being the cheapest option as well.   

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
Just out of curiosity, do we have many posters on here that did not attend MU?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »
My basic goal was that I wasn't going to leave school with debt when I could go to a bunch of places for free.  If they'd offered me scholarships they would have been the choice, but what they offered was tiny, and MU was free.

MSOE offered me a full ride, Bradley offered me a decent amount, and Marquette offered me nothing.

I'll be paying for it for awhile but I'm glad I chose MU.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
Illinois, OSU, ND, Northwestern, MU. Money talks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2010, 04:53:09 PM »
SLU (stay in town) and Loyola-Chicago

Why I chose Marquette:
- Real Answer: they gave me the most money and because I heard about its drinking habit.
- What I say when on job interviews: I loved to city when I visited. Late Spring/early Summer is a great time to visit Milwaukee. Also, because, I knew I wanted to go into business, Marquette's proximity to downtown and the business schools relationship with the surrounding businesses was a major plus.

Why would you lie about the money issue?  I'd rather hear that answer than something that's obvious BS.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »
Funny enough, the only other school I applied to was It's Indiana, It's Indiana. No intention of going, relieved now that I got into MU.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2010, 07:42:23 AM »
Marquette and UW-Madison (even had a dorm room assignment in madison before picking MU).   

Vander?!?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2010, 07:45:18 AM »
I got into Wisco, ND, and Minn other than MU.  Had visited Madison and hated it but applied because its what every other in state, likely-to-get-in public high school senior does.  Visited the second and was turned off by how insulated it was.  Going to MU and seeing all of the students that sadly still kiss the rings of those two schools definitely helped feed the hate.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2010, 11:20:30 AM »

Why would you lie about the money issue?  I'd rather hear that answer than something that's obvious BS.

I do throw the money part in after the BS.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »
University of Lawsonomy

How could you turn down an opportunity like that?  Instead of Real Chili, you could have had Apple Holler.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2010, 02:47:10 PM »
How could you turn down an opportunity like that?  Instead of Real Chili, you could have had Apple Holler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOyOEbdQDI&feature=related

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2010, 08:27:46 PM »
Wisconsin, Ripon, Cal, Sac State

It came down to Cal and MU. I visited both campuses and I hated Cal (seriously, it's an awful place)