[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recent Books you have enjoyed  (Read 71480 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Recent Books you have enjoyed
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2013, 07:05:30 AM »
Not recent, but finally got around to reading Ender's Game recently. Brilliant bit of writing. Also enjoyed the new Dan Brown book, Inferno. The first 2/3 of it felt exactly like his other Robert Langdon books (Da Vinci, Angels & Demons, etc), though was still enjoyable despite being formulaic. He had one big diversion from his usual formula that really made the last bit more enjoyable for me. Well worth the read, if you are a fan of Brown's.

Ender's Game is neat, but fairly predictable (it is YA Fiction after all)... one thing that really distracted me was the names the kids called each other... it was like reading Beavis and Butthead.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »
I recently read John Basil's Let Me Wear Your Coat. I posted this review:

This book was recommended to me and I will admit I approached it with a bit of trepidation when I realized it was a coming of age story. As a genre, I feel that we have trivialized it to the point where coming-of-age is a shibboleth for A Separate Peace, Catcher In the Rye, and Lord of the Flies and precious little else.

The category has been in dire need of a refresh with a more contemporary context and John Basil’s Let Me Wear Your Coat certainly fulfills that requirement. His story is set in the late 1970’s but this morality play articulates lessons that are acutely relevant today. Basil’s protagonist is an Everyman struggling to come to grips with an increasingly complex and bewildering world. His supporting cast personifies good and evil but with a refined ambiguity that adds depth, richness and complexity to his characters without being cliché. His narrative is compelling with several underlying tensions that add a dramatic tautness that engages the reader and demands reflection and introspection.

His characters are interesting and I would welcome a sequel to see how the protagonist applies the insight and wisdom he has gained through the story’s denouement. The antagonist is also fascinating and worthy of further understanding.

Basil’s Let Me Wear Your Coat is noteworthy for the depth of its players and the poignancy of its narrative. This story takes a welcome place alongside Murakami’s Norwegian Wood, S.E. Hinton’s Outsiders, and Ayad Akhtar’s Dervish. It is that good.  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16083226-let-me-wear-your-coat?ac=1

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
Let me guess keefe, you got an "A" in John Pick's English class, hey?.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »

English?? I'm an Injunear!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »

Actually, Pick was before my time. My wife was an English major and she had him when he did an encore at Marquette. I remember she did a paper on Blake's The Tiger for Pick.

Pick was an institution at Marquette.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
I had him for an entire year of English along with Chones, Lackey, Frazier, McGuire, and a dude named Cary. Pick kept it interestin' and real. Best was when we read, "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and he wore a rubber chicken around his neck to symbolize the albatross. Rumor was the Cat married the princess of Malta and was on the maiden voyage of the Andrea Doria, which sank.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:14:16 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2013, 07:09:42 PM »
I recall my wife saying Pick had an Oxbridge accent but it turns out he was from the Midwest. I think you are right in that he married into English-Maltese aristocracy and he lived in a palatial villa on Malta when he wasn't in Milwaukee. I know my wife really enjoyed him and took 6 hours with him.

Death on call

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »
Just finished JAYBER CROW by Wendell Berry, and can't praise it enough, especially to those of us in our twilight years.  First time reader of Mr Berry and I regret not having discovered him sooner.  JC is a novel told by and through the life experiences of a simple, God-fearing man - a small town barber in mid 20th century Kentucky:  a story of love, friendships, life in simpler times.  Beautifully written, as well.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
I finished Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake and wrote this review:

Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake is a poignant tale of tradition, heritage, evolution, transformation, and discovery in which she chronicles the travails, struggles, triumphs and sorrows of immigrants creating a new life in a very different world. Lahiri’s personal perspective brings an acuity and percipience to the narrative that enriches the plot with more than a touch of both whimsy and pathos.

The beauty of Lahiri’s work lies in the sublime deftness of her imagery. Through subtle shadings she adds incredible depth to situations, relationships, and moments that infuses energy into her story while engendering intimacy between reader and character. There is an elegant delectation to her prose that conveys feelings and emotions with a spry agility that keeps the dialogue flowing in a natural cadence. Lahiri can say more in one sentence than many writers can in a chapter.

An example of Lahiri’s wry brilliance is in her use of an unconventional name for the protagonist. Named for the Russian writer Gogol, in honor of a grandfather killed in a tragic accident, this literary device adds color, humor, irony, and encumbrance to a young man struggling with responsibilities to numerous identities.

The Namesake is a moving tale of multi-generational discovery that engages the reader immediately. This is a finely crafted story that should enrich your appreciation of the immigrant experience.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/750895611

Death on call

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2013, 10:46:38 AM »
If you like both economics and history, then I highly suggest reading "Land of Promise" by Michael Lind.

Fantastic book that walks you through the economic history of the United States. Lind's knowledge of history is quite fascinating.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »
ttt

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »
Any good novels u have read lately? Need some pool reads.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »
Any good novels u have read lately? Need some pool reads.

Not a novel, but I enjoyed "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates." Superficial, but in a good way in that it makes for a good read without getting too bogged down in minor details.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2016, 06:04:59 PM »
"Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates."

I second this.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2016, 04:55:44 AM »
TV sucks so much nowadays, I find reading is quickly taking its place for me.

yes it does, BUT, netflix has some really good documentaries-just watched the 1st series of narcos(10 x 1 hour episodes) on the rise of the cocaine industry and pablo escobar.  and a nice 2 hour docu on the navy seals.  these are like visual books in a way imho.  they have tons of good stuff in the docu category-musicians, weather, influential people, etc and they have ratings given to them by the people who watched them
don't...don't don't don't don't

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2016, 11:04:26 AM »
I finished Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake and wrote this review:

Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake is a poignant tale of tradition, heritage, evolution, transformation, and discovery in which she chronicles the travails, struggles, triumphs and sorrows of immigrants creating a new life in a very different world. Lahiri’s personal perspective brings an acuity and percipience to the narrative that enriches the plot with more than a touch of both whimsy and pathos.

The beauty of Lahiri’s work lies in the sublime deftness of her imagery. Through subtle shadings she adds incredible depth to situations, relationships, and moments that infuses energy into her story while engendering intimacy between reader and character. There is an elegant delectation to her prose that conveys feelings and emotions with a spry agility that keeps the dialogue flowing in a natural cadence. Lahiri can say more in one sentence than many writers can in a chapter.

An example of Lahiri’s wry brilliance is in her use of an unconventional name for the protagonist. Named for the Russian writer Gogol, in honor of a grandfather killed in a tragic accident, this literary device adds color, humor, irony, and encumbrance to a young man struggling with responsibilities to numerous identities.

The Namesake is a moving tale of multi-generational discovery that engages the reader immediately. This is a finely crafted story that should enrich your appreciation of the immigrant experience.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/750895611

My review of this to a friend was, "Pretty good. Kinda slow in parts. Worth reading." This makes me feel inadequate now.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »
For non-fiction, I just read Sarah Vowell's "Lafayette in the Somewhat United States," very funny and informative. I don't know if you could quite call it a biography because it's interspersed with the author's travel descriptions but very good however you categorize it.

For fiction, I just read some old sci-fi that was apparently award-winning when it came out but I hadn't heard of it until recently -- Connie Willis's Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog, about future historians who use time travel to study the past. Also very funny and smart with heart.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:30:30 PM by THRILLHO »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2016, 01:52:31 PM »
Actually, Pick was before my time. My wife was an English major and she had him when he did an encore at Marquette. I remember she did a paper on Blake's The Tiger for Pick.

Pick was an institution at Marquette.

ohhhhhhh, robbed the cradle-ein'a?  nicely done!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2016, 02:11:16 PM »
rereading The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:53 PM »
rereading The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket

Did Arthur Gordon Pym know the Girl from Nantucket?

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2016, 07:09:11 AM »
Did Arthur Gordon Pym know the Girl from Nantucket?

Arthur Gordon Pym - Is he related to the inventor of the Ant-Man suit?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:48 AM »
Reading Devil in the White City at the moment.  So far so good.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
my wife's reading that - LOVES it.

The last book i read that i HIGHLY recommend is Reamde by Neal Stephenson - but i'm a biased Stephenson fan.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2016, 10:10:33 AM »

Just read that as well. It's absolutely worth a read.

Above someone talked about Dan Brown, and I hate Dan Brown. He has 0 respect for his readers. His writing is the equivalent of him leading a horse to water, shoving a funnel in its mouth, and pouring ALL the water down its throat.

Devil in the White City is the exact opposite. There are a ton of one-line throwaway references that he's expecting his readers to get. Don't know who Frank Lloyd Wright is? Well the 30 word reference to him will go over your head. I'm sure I missed a bunch too, but it's nice to not be reading something targeted at a demographic below mold spores in intelligence.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2016, 10:20:19 AM »
I really enjoyed these two recently

"6 Amendments: How and Why we should change the Constitution"  By retired Justice John Paul Stevens. 

"Agent Zig-Zag" By Ben Macyntire
Fear makes you dumb.