[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What's your take on how offensive the Notre Dame Fighting Irish logo is?

I'm of Irish descent and I find it offensive
3 (9.1%)
I'm not of Irish descent and I find it offensive
2 (6.1%)
I'm of Irish descent and I do not find it offensive
19 (57.6%)
I'm not of Irish descent and I do not find it offensive
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: February 26, 2007, 12:34:13 PM

Author Topic: "Fighting Irish" name and logo offensive?  (Read 3989 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
"Fighting Irish" name and logo offensive?
« on: February 24, 2007, 12:34:13 PM »
We Are Marquette

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
Re: "Fighting Irish" name and logo offensive?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:36:28 PM »
I'm not Irish and I don't think it is offensive... but if ND gets to keep a logo and mascot that "could" be offensive then we should get to keep Warriors...

Just sayin

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 12:37:34 PM »
me and my friends had a conversation about this before... and my irish friend(actually from Ireland... over here for a year to study abroad) has no problem with it... he finds it funny actually.  Then again, he is one of those people that I think you would need to do a lot before he finds it offensive.  The one thing I find funny, is when you look at political cartoons way bac, during the civil war up till 1910ish, irish were seen as below the rest of whites.  But yeah, don't see how you can find this offensive really.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 01:00:50 PM »
Where to start with this?

Of course it's not offensive! Perhaps, if the little guy was pictured with a bottle of whiskey, stumbling around the court/football field and beating his wife, it might draw the ire of some people, but it's a freaking caricature! It's meant to poke fun and anybody taking it as a serious depiction of the Irish people is ignorant.

I have never advocated bringing back the Willie Wampum caricature -- I just want the nickname back -- but even something as cartoonish as that was never intended to poke fun. Did any Native Americans carry tomahawks? Have the Irish people been known to be short tempered? It's a cartoon character for God's sake!!

The problem with the liberal/political correct police is they believe it is their duty to serve as some kind of advocates for scores of groups that have long assured us that are not bothered by these supposed slights.

The whole debate angers me to no end because there is no room for debate!!! Marquette asks its "community" and gets a response that 90 percent identify with "Warriors," but apparently we are all insensitve pricks who don't know any better (despite our Marquette educations)!

Leave ND alone! Leave Chief Illiniwek alone!! Leave "Warriors" alone!! And for God's sake, take your politically correct bullsh*t and LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 01:15:17 PM »
I'm in the "Irish, but not offensive category" ... HOWEVER, and I know this may draw some heated responses: I DO understand how people could find the "Redskins" or the "Indians" of the Alcorn State "Scalping Braves" offensive. Just because I don't find it offensive doesn't mean that others couldn't find it offensive.

BTW - Saw a new heritage represented in the nickname category last weekend: The Bethany College (Kan.) Swedes. That was a new one for me.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 01:16:11 PM »
I've made some final determinations on this issue. Please print and retain this for future reference. Thank you. -Avenue Commons

Fightin' Irish = OK

Warriors name  = OK (without N.A. connotations, see: Warriors, Golden State)

FSU Seminoles = OK (tough call, authorization from Seminole tribe gives benefit of the doubt)

Fightin' Illini = OK (without N.A. connotations, reference to state of IL only)

Fightin' Sioux = Not OK

Willie Wampum = Not OK

Chief Illiniwek = Not OK

Cleveland Indians Logo = Not OK

Washington Redskins = Not OK (The most offensive name actually. Not enough attention paid to this. Should be more of a national story).
We Are Marquette

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »
Where to start with this?

Of course it's not offensive! Perhaps, if the little guy was pictured with a bottle of whiskey, stumbling around the court/football field and beating his wife, it might draw the ire of some people, but it's a freaking caricature! It's meant to poke fun and anybody taking it as a serious depiction of the Irish people is ignorant.

I have never advocated bringing back the Willie Wampum caricature -- I just want the nickname back -- but even something as cartoonish as that was never intended to poke fun. Did any Native Americans carry tomahawks? Have the Irish people been known to be short tempered? It's a cartoon character for God's sake!!

The problem with the liberal/political correct police is they believe it is their duty to serve as some kind of advocates for scores of groups that have long assured us that are not bothered by these supposed slights.

The whole debate angers me to no end because there is no room for debate!!! Marquette asks its "community" and gets a response that 90 percent identify with "Warriors," but apparently we are all insensitve pricks who don't know any better (despite our Marquette educations)!

Leave ND alone! Leave Chief Illiniwek alone!! Leave "Warriors" alone!! And for God's sake, take your politically correct bullsh*t and LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Well said.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »
"Fighting Irish", not offensive.  Notre Dame students and alum, very offensive.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 01:27:40 PM »
"Fighting Irish", not offensive.  Notre Dame students and alum, very offensive.

Nice.  :D
We Are Marquette

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 01:39:24 PM »
If we want to get really out there...

I could see some people being offended by the name "Packers" as it refers to meat packing, which could be interpreted as cruelty to animals, and therefore animal rights activists could crusade against the "Packers" nickname.

How about the Brewers? What about people who have been harmed by alcohol, or by people under the influence of alcohol? What does a brewer do? Makes beer. Beer hurts people, so... The name "Brewers" hurts people! Flawless logic!

Akin to the Native American line, what about Cowboys? Cowboys and Indians. "Cowboys" in the old west were heroes who battled the "savage" "indians." Cowboys killed native americans, so why aren't there more Native American anti-"Cowboys" rallies?

What if you or someone you know was attacked by a bear? or Lion? or Tiger? Panther? Jaguar? Shark? Hell, maybe a flock(?) of banana slugs killed your dog. Would you then be offended by the name "Banana Slugs" or even anything relating to dogs?

Manitowoc Lincoln (WI) High's mascot is the Ships. What if you had bad prawns on a cruise? "Prawns... Cruise... Ship... I hate ships!"

I could go on forever, really. For those of you who watch it, South Park made an episode where Cartman tried to get Family Guy (for those who watch it) taken off the air because they planned to show Muhammed in their next episode. On this particular South Park, as it turns out, Family Guy is written by manatees who swim around in a tank filled with "idea balls." As long none of the idea balls is removed, the manatees happily go about their work. But as soon as one of the idea balls is removed, the Manatees stop working, the premise being: either everything is in play, or nothing is.

Classof2016

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 02:22:18 PM »
Cleveland Indians Logo = Not OK

Don't be Hatin'...

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »
it takes a lot to offend me... A LOT, however I can see how Redskins would be offensive... you think if a team was called the blackskins it would stand?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »
I voted "I'm not of Irish descent and I do not find it offensive."

Because I'm not Native American but proud to be a Warrior!  ;)

SS Marquette