collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bucks Playoff - Anyone excited?  (Read 10577 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Bucks Playoff - Anyone excited?
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
I know NBA basketball seems to have a stigma around these forums, but is anyone excited by the Bucks? This is a team built around defense and team offense....with a little spark of Brandon Jennings.

Anyone going to the game?

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Bucks Playoff - Anyone excited?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 05:05:16 PM »
If Bogut were playing, it would be a lot excited.  Now, not so much.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »
I am excited and watch the games (while also flipping to the Blackhawks).  I do see a very slim possibility of beating the Hawks (5% or so), but even if they do, Orlando is a matchup nightmare.  Too bad Bogut went down, otherwise I would be a lot more excited - good call BrewCity.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
Hell yes. Was there Saturday, and it was an awesome atmosphere. Heading downtown shortly for a few pregame libations before Game 4. Gotta get this one tonight!

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »
I am beyond excited. I have been waiting 4 years for this.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »
Milwaukee still has an NBA team?
I haven't seen a Bucks game since Ray Allen was on the team, and even if I was offered tickets I could still come up with 2 dozen more entertaining things to do.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »
Guess who was in the box seat behind me tonight?  Buzz!  Waved at him and he smiled and waved back haha.  Anyway, GO BUCKS!

And Ari Gold, you clearly aren't paying attention to the NBA if you could find more entertaining things to do.  Bucks are the hardest working team in the NBA right now, and this is entertaining man.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:43:41 PM by mbao_toMU09 »

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
Brew City, you don't know what you are missing... They have played soooo well these last couple of games, and Jennings is brining out a new side to this team.  They are more fun to watch than any Bucks team I've ever seen.  Even Ridnour is taking off his Tim Duncan face and holding the pose on some of his 3's.  Bogut or no, this is turning into one of the more entertaining series', right behind the Thunder/Spurs after the Thunder proved they could make the Lakers really look old. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:38:28 PM »
Milwaukee still has an NBA team?
I haven't seen a Bucks game since Ray Allen was on the team, and even if I was offered tickets I could still come up with 2 dozen more entertaining things to do.

I don't know man. If you're a basketball fan, and I know you are, you would have a great time at these games.

Crowd wise, it's almost a college atmosphere. That place was LOUD tonight. Louder than most, if not all of the MU games this past year. And it's the game being played at an ultra high level.

I was in the same boat you were, but I got freebies to a few games early in the year. I went, and loved how hard the Bucks played. They were always in the game, and I liked that a lot. I've been on board since.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49:14 PM »
Ari you must be living the GOOD life.  These Bucks are FUN to watch.  There is ABSOLUTELY no reason that they are even in the playoffs, let alone tied in their first round series with the Hawks given the talent level of the team without Bogut.  They just work that much harder and play that much more defense than every other team.  It reminds me of this year's Marquette team.  Talent-wise they weren't nearly as good as the results show.  But, "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard."

I can't even imagine how good the Bucks would be with a healthy Bogut and without completely WASTING a max contract on Michael Redd.  Even if we put an average roll player in his spot on the team (again with a healthy Bogut) and this team would be making a run at the Magic and Cavs.  For now, I'll just enjoy them against the Hawks.

And we owe a lot of thanks to the Bulls.  For Scott Skiles (what were the Bulls thinking?  Dropping him and getting VINNY DEL NEGRO?!) and for John Salmons (and moving up 2 spots in the draft).  So I guess that city IS good for something after all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 04:00:13 AM »
I really don't know what Ari wants in basketball.  ?-(

I asked a few people around me how this atmosphere compared to the MU-ND game since I am biased sometimes towards the NBA and they (being MU fans) said the atmosphere was way more intense than that game.

The team works hard and plays the right way and has an exciting young player.....And the series is tied 2-2, IDK what else you want?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:58 AM »
Guess who was in the box seat behind me tonight?  Buzz!  Waved at him and he smiled and waved back haha.  Anyway, GO BUCKS!

And Ari Gold, you clearly aren't paying attention to the NBA if you could find more entertaining things to do.  Bucks are the hardest working team in the NBA right now, and this is entertaining man.

Did you ax him when he's going to sign the next recruit?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 07:43:25 AM »
With Bogut, maybe, but they aren't going to win the series. Brandon Jennings can really play though.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 08:00:52 AM »
Brew City, you don't know what you are missing... They have played soooo well these last couple of games, and Jennings is brining out a new side to this team.  They are more fun to watch than any Bucks team I've ever seen.  Even Ridnour is taking off his Tim Duncan face and holding the pose on some of his 3's.  Bogut or no, this is turning into one of the more entertaining series', right behind the Thunder/Spurs after the Thunder proved they could make the Lakers really look old. 

I didn't say I'm not watching....I dig the way the Bucks are playing now.  I'm just not very excited about their chances this year without the big man.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 08:08:39 AM »
And we owe a lot of thanks to the Bulls.  For Scott Skiles (what were the Bulls thinking?  Dropping him and getting VINNY DEL NEGRO?!) and for John Salmons (and moving up 2 spots in the draft).  So I guess that city IS good for something after all.

Big ups to Hammond on the Salmons steal, and Skiles has worked out great for this team.  My biggest concern though is that this overachieving is going to make it difficult to move Skiles once his time passes, especially in a blue collar town like Milwaukee that will favor his blue collar style over accepting the realities of the way the NBA works (especially vs college).

I know this might be met with some criticism, but it would be to the Bucks detriment to have Skiles coach this team another 3-4 years.  Guys just get sick of playing for him, he wears on them, free agents have a tendency to not want to sign onto the Skiles plan.  I think part of the underlying Del Negro move for Chi was to not have a hard@$$ like Skiles coaching when they went into this offseason with a ton of money to spend.  Granted Del Negro was clearly not the right choice, but they wanted a more attractive players type coach to entice big money free agents.  This really isn't even an attack on Skiles at all, but its just that he's more the type of coach who can get a lot of out of less talented teams that are resigned to having to dig out every loose ball and accept being screamed at for missing a block out in practice.   When everything is so new and evolving with the Bucks, he's a great coach to scrap out some wins he shouldnt, and he's largely responsible for making this season so exciting down the stretch.  But as Hammond builds the roster, he is going to have to be mindful of the dynamic between his coach and changing (hopefully more talented) team.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 08:12:43 AM »
Ari you must be living the GOOD life.  These Bucks are FUN to watch.  There is ABSOLUTELY no reason that they are even in the playoffs, let alone tied in their first round series with the Hawks given the talent level of the team without Bogut.  They just work that much harder and play that much more defense than every other team.  It reminds me of this year's Marquette team.  Talent-wise they weren't nearly as good as the results show.  But, "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard."

I can't even imagine how good the Bucks would be with a healthy Bogut and without completely WASTING a max contract on Michael Redd.  Even if we put an average roll player in his spot on the team (again with a healthy Bogut) and this team would be making a run at the Magic and Cavs.  For now, I'll just enjoy them against the Hawks.

Let us not forget the 10 million that is wrapped up in Dan Gadzuric.  I hate that man more than anything.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 08:35:07 AM »
Big ups to Hammond on the Salmons steal, and Skiles has worked out great for this team.  My biggest concern though is that this overachieving is going to make it difficult to move Skiles once his time passes, especially in a blue collar town like Milwaukee that will favor his blue collar style over accepting the realities of the way the NBA works (especially vs college).

I know this might be met with some criticism, but it would be to the Bucks detriment to have Skiles coach this team another 3-4 years.  Guys just get sick of playing for him, he wears on them, free agents have a tendency to not want to sign onto the Skiles plan.  I think part of the underlying Del Negro move for Chi was to not have a hard@$$ like Skiles coaching when they went into this offseason with a ton of money to spend.  Granted Del Negro was clearly not the right choice, but they wanted a more attractive players type coach to entice big money free agents.  This really isn't even an attack on Skiles at all, but its just that he's more the type of coach who can get a lot of out of less talented teams that are resigned to having to dig out every loose ball and accept being screamed at for missing a block out in practice.   When everything is so new and evolving with the Bucks, he's a great coach to scrap out some wins he shouldnt, and he's largely responsible for making this season so exciting down the stretch.  But as Hammond builds the roster, he is going to have to be mindful of the dynamic between his coach and changing (hopefully more talented) team.
No.  I would much rather watch a scrappy Skiles-led team win 50 games every year than watch a bunch of lazy-ass NBA "stars" turn it on occasionally in the 4th quarter on their way to a disappointing playoff run.  That's what's wrong with the NBA and why so many prefer the college game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 08:35:42 AM »
Burrow...the Salmons deal may not be the steal you think it is.  He can opt out of his deal after this year, which I think he might do with all the cap space available.  Then what?  Do we try to sign him back?  My guess is that we would have to overpay because you know some other team will offer more than he is probably worth.

And as for the coaching issue, there is no way they should consider getting rid of Skiles.  Most Bulls fans I know are sick that they got rid of him and replaced him with Del Negro (who was not their first choice....Doug Collins was and he's more of a controlling pretty boy than Skiles).  What is amazing to me is that he's got this team playing this way with no one who can elevate.  Seriously, there is not a single person on this team that can break you down off the dribble and get up and over the rim.  In today's NBA, that is pretty much a necessity.  

Hammonds is a great GM and Skiles is a very good coach.  You shouldn't mess with that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:40 AM »
No.  I would much rather watch a scrappy Skiles-led team win 50 games every year than watch a bunch of lazy-ass NBA "stars" turn it on occasionally in the 4th quarter on their way to a disappointing playoff run.  That's what's wrong with the NBA and why so many prefer the college game.

I think people like the college game because of the atmosphere and the tradition, but the quality of basketball in the NBA now has frankly never been better.  It is absolutely amazing to watch what NBA players can do and how well they play together.  Joe Johnson last night was incredible.  Hands in his face all night, but his stroke was pure.  Do you know how difficult that is?

I love college basketball, but don't confuse the NBA now with the "thugball" league of 10-15 years ago.  It is so skilled and so athletic right now that it is amazing to watch come playoff time.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »
And as for the coaching issue, there is no way they should consider getting rid of Skiles.  Most Bulls fans I know are sick that they got rid of him and replaced him with Del Negro (who was not their first choice....Doug Collins was and he's more of a controlling pretty boy than Skiles).  What is amazing to me is that he's got this team playing this way with no one who can elevate.  Seriously, there is not a single person on this team that can break you down off the dribble and get up and over the rim.  In today's NBA, that is pretty much a necessity.

I will concede that the (un)likelihood of the Bucks ever being able to sign a legitimate star may increase the chances of Skiles sticking around.  I absolutely agree that he is a quality coach and gets the most out of what he's got.  I just have real doubts about any major players wanting to come in and play for him.  Then again, thats why the Hammond hire was so great, because he's the only GM in recent history that I can think of to engineer championship caliber teams that weren't built around one of the leagues top 10 players at the time.  To that end, I agree with Brew City that the necessity of having a star is what makes the NBA so unappealing at times, but the reality is thats how teams win today/remain economically viable.

As for the Salmons trade, you're also right that it wasn't a long term steal.  After what Salmons showed since coming to the Bucks, and with all the $$$ teams have saved for this summer, someone will overpay him.  I hope that's not the Bucks, because I don't think his strict scoring ability, or even his leadership is worth the commitment it will take to sign him.  One guy I think would fit in perfectly would be Rip Hamilton who might be available for a similar price to what it would take to sign Salmons if the Pistons keep imploding/rebuilding at their current pace.  Point being, Salmons has been a boon this year, but those types of players are often underappreciated and available if you don't expect too much.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 09:03:42 AM »
Burrow...the Salmons deal may not be the steal you think it is.  He can opt out of his deal after this year, which I think he might do with all the cap space available.  Then what?  Do we try to sign him back?  My guess is that we would have to overpay because you know some other team will offer more than he is probably worth.

Even is Salmons leaves, it was still a great trade. We gave up Joe Alexander and Hakim Warrick, and moved up 2 spots in the draft. Without Salmons we win 5 less games in the regular season and 2 less in the playoffs.....it was a steal for what we gave up.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:05:18 AM by martyconlonontherun »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »
I think the notion of a steal means we screwed the Bulls over.  The Bulls got what they wanted...cap space with expiring contracts.  We got what we wanted...a decent scorer.  It was mutually beneficial in that way.

LON

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
Unlike George Karl, Skiles keeps the windows open at the practice facility and I was lucky enough to get to stop by (was there for work) and watch for a few minutes.  They really get after each other.

It's just hard for me to get invested in the Bucks/NBA again since that travesty of a series against the 76ers in 2001.

That said, Jennings is fun to watch and I really enjoy their defensive intensity.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 09:34:12 AM »
Unlike George Karl, Skiles keeps the windows open at the practice facility and I was lucky enough to get to stop by (was there for work) and watch for a few minutes.  They really get after each other.

It's just hard for me to get invested in the Bucks/NBA again since that travesty of a series against the 76ers in 2001.

Glenn Robinson's missed lay-up in the waning seconds of Game 5...

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 09:43:11 AM »
Not living in Milwaukee, this is great to be able to see the Bucks on TV.  Then again, I don't start watching the NBA until the playoffs anyway.  Certainly, not as talented as the elite teams, but they play an exciting game, with a never quit attitude.  It would be great to see them win this series, but cannot see them getting past the next round.

feedback