collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bucks Playoff - Anyone excited?  (Read 10583 times)

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
Re: Bucks Playoff - Anyone excited?
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »
Atmosphere was great in the BC last night. Definitely reminded me of 2001.

I went to many games from 2000-02, then sort of waned during the disastrous later part of that decade. This hard-working, blue collar basketball team is just amazing to watch now, and I happily purchased a half-season ticket plan for next year.

If we can steal game 5, we're in REALLY good shape.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »
I don't know how to post the video but ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Bango-strikes-again-this-time-from-above?urn=nba,237019

Video: Bango strikes again, this time from above the rim
By Trey Kerby

Not to turn this Internet blog website in to Bango Don't Lie, but when a costumed deer does a backflip dunk from a ladder 10 feet above the rim, you've got to show him some love. That's been my life's mantra since I was a wee lad, and I'm not going to change it now. (Note: Don't try this at home)

This man-deer is awesome to me. Not only is that stunt cramazing (crazy + amazing), it's even better when you consider that a little more than a year ago, he tore his ACL performing a stunt on the rim. If I'm in that costume, there's no way I'm getting anywhere near a basketball hoop with my furry deer legs again. But I guess that's why I'm not Bango.

In fact, no one is Bango, except Bango. He's the LeBron James(notes) of NBA mascots. That's how far ahead of his peers he is. It's his world, and we're all just watching him dunk in it.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
sorry guys... it has nothing to do with the team or players, no doubt they're hard working and I'm aware of the surprise they've become for the NBA this year which has been great for the city BUT

I've never been able to get into NBA/Bucks. Maybe it was because the loudest thing I ever heard during a game was Gary Payton's swearing. (admittedly, when I did go to games I had great seats  8-) ) just can't quite explain it but I don't find the NBA entertaining

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 02:34:57 PM »
Big ups to Hammond on the Salmons steal, and Skiles has worked out great for this team.  My biggest concern though is that this overachieving is going to make it difficult to move Skiles once his time passes, especially in a blue collar town like Milwaukee that will favor his blue collar style over accepting the realities of the way the NBA works (especially vs college).

I know this might be met with some criticism, but it would be to the Bucks detriment to have Skiles coach this team another 3-4 years.  Guys just get sick of playing for him, he wears on them, free agents have a tendency to not want to sign onto the Skiles plan
.  I think part of the underlying Del Negro move for Chi was to not have a hard@$$ like Skiles coaching when they went into this offseason with a ton of money to spend. 

Free agents largely sign due to the $$$, and then the city.  MKE will never be an attractive destination for free agents, regardless of if Skiles is the coach.  Lastly, I think your perception of Skiles being a hard a$$, and coach that grinds on guys after awhile..may be more of a perception than reality.  Here's a quote from todays JS from Jamal Crawford on Skiles (Coaches respect honest coaches, who know what they are doing..may not always like them..but respect is the key to getting most out of NBA players):

Crawford recalled this week how difficult that season had been for everyone involved but also said playing that one season for Skiles had left a lasting impact on him.

"He was a tough coach, but he was fair," Crawford said. "He was one of the best after-timeout coaches that I'd ever seen. He just wanted us to get better. If you defended and competed, he was fine with you. He was a great coach."

Crawford averaged 17.3 points per game that season under Skiles, who took over the team from Bill Cartwright 16 games into the season. The Bulls added Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon and Luol Deng through the draft the next season, and Crawford was traded to New York.

Even so, Crawford said some of the basic lessons he learned from playing under Skiles that season still are a part of his approach to the game.

"Just play smart," Crawford said. "He didn't care how many shots you took as long as they were good shots. Just to play smart and compete. Those were his two big things."

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
For those who haven't seen this yet, check it out.

Fear the Deer....for real
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tTbBFthGQQ

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 09:50:56 PM »
ANYONE EXCITED??  GO BUCKS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 10:00:42 PM »
I'll admit that going back to the last draft, I thought Jennings was a terrible pick even though the Bucks needed a point guard. I guess that's why John Hammonds does what he does and I do what I do.
Brandon not only is super quick, but also a very smart and knowledgeable basketball player who shoots much better than I originally thought. Absolutely tremendous selection for this team who would only be a sophomore in college, had he attended.

FEAR THE DEER
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 10:19:52 PM »
I'll admit that going back to the last draft, I thought Jennings was a terrible pick even though the Bucks needed a point guard. I guess that's why John Hammonds does what he does and I do what I do.
Brandon not only is super quick, but also a very smart and knowledgeable basketball player who shoots much better than I originally thought. Absolutely tremendous selection for this team who would only be a sophomore in college, had he attended.

FEAR THE DEER

Not to mention he was able to get a group of guys together that don't look impressive on paper, but do the exact opposite on court day in and day out.  Every player has and knows their own role, and just what Skiles and Hammond have been able to do is remarkable really.  All this without Bogut in the playoffs too...we got a group of players.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 10:25:50 PM »
Boy do I like Jennings. I watched almost the entire second half. That's about as much NBA ball as I have watched in the last year combined (an exaggeration, but you get the point). The guy is a player and I enjoy watching him kinda the way I like watching Wade.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »
Amazing that the Bucks haven't won a playoff series in a decade.  And another decade before that one, too. 

What a huge success if they can win just one more.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 10:29:52 AM »
2001... not quite a decade.

and I wouldn't call it too surprising :-P

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »
Full disclosure, I jumped on the bandwagon late in the season as I'm sure many have, and I'm not ashamed to say it. The NBA was boring to me for much of the last decade. I still don't enjoy watching games that are dominated by one player. Kobe vs. LeBron has very little intrigue to me. But this Bucks team... they play like a unit. They spread the ball around. It's a lot of fun. I'm impressed.

In fact, I bought tickets to game 6 earlier this week, and went to Grand Avenue to buy a long sleeve red Bucks tee shirt, my first piece of Bucks apparel since 2001. Tomorrow should be awesome.

Stringer Bellenson

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 01:59:42 AM »
For whatever reason, despite the fact that Skiles has proven he's a guy who gets nba teams that are mediocre on paper to overachieve, players seem to eventually grow tired of his act.  Whether or not that will happen with the Bucks remains to be seen.  If for some reason it doesn't work out, he'll likely continue as a type of mercenary nba coach who serves as a "fixer" or stabilizer of organizations finding themselves in volatile situations.  However, if I were some college athelic director I would definitely give Skiles a call; even if he cant recruit he can field a team of rudy reutigers and get them to play balls to the wall defense and give 110%.  He would be an awesome college coach.  Moreover, if I were a h.s. recruit, I would probably want to roll with Skiles simply because I like his style as a player and coach on the court, and as a wildman off the court.  Whether it be his 30 assists in a game, proven track record in nba and europe as a coach, trying to fight his giant teammate shaq, approaching shawn kempesque numbers in the illegitimate children department, his hard partying past, pen time, and no snitching (some say it wasn't his blow), there's alot to like about him.  Work hard, play hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 09:16:49 PM »
Fear The Fawn.

Never have thought much of Woodson's coaching ability and still don't. But, he found a way to dictate the tempo, clog the middle, and therefore take both Jennings and Salmons out of it. We'll see if Skiles has an answer.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 02:09:58 PM »
Well it was fun while it lasted.  Without Bogut we just don't have enough players.  There is no reason we took this series to 7 games other than great team effort, but that will only take you so far when the opponent has their backs against the wall.  The Hawks have 6 of the 7 (MAYBE 8 with Salmons in there) best players in the series, much more size and athleticism, and are healthy.

The Hawks realized that if they just don't leave Jennings and Salmons nobody else can create a shot, and they did just that, so we couldn't score.

Looking forward to next season, especially if we can get a scoring power forward (or shooting guard if Salmons opts out, which I'm thinking he will) in the draft.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
just can't quite explain it but I don't find the NBA entertaining

Because it is not interesting.....if the ref's/players would ever play by the rules of basketball it may be different...NBA is very boring 1 on 1..2 on 2 basketball....not the way the game was meant to be played. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »
there's a lot of criticism of the NBA and how it handles its officials, etc in turning the NBA game into what it is today.  some of that is rightfully placed on the league, but I think the athletic development of players today has contributed to what the NBA has become as much as anything.  in much the same way that everything down to the dimensions of the field are scrutinized in the NFL due to the unforeseen growth in size and athleticism of players, there is only so much that can be done in the NBA to ensure both that players showcase their athletic talents and that they play a brand of basketball that resembles the historical product.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »
I agree with Burrow here.  The best offense that an NBA team can run is to spread the floor and to drive and dish.  Any help has to be quick and contact inevitably occurs.  And when they dish and hit the open guy, that guy will hit the shot often.  What happens when you run a more "traditional" offense is that quickness and length of the defenders just clogs everything up.  NBA games from 25 years ago look so strange because the players are comparatively much smaller and slower.  To me, it's hard to blame the NBA...the game is just different.

And I don't know how the game was "meant to be played."  It is what it is.  Just like the NFL runs open, pass-happy offenses that 50 years ago would have never been considered, the game changes.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
Because it is not interesting.....if the ref's/players would ever play by the rules of basketball it may be different...NBA is very boring 1 on 1..2 on 2 basketball....not the way the game was meant to be played.  

Interesting...
Some would say it's intelligent basketball to utilize mismatches in a 1 on 1 situation rather than passing the ball back and forth like a "team."  Do you not like seeing set plays to get mismatches or aren't you able to recognize them?
Marquette University, Spring '08

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 07:36:31 PM »
Great run by the Young Bucks.  They shouldn't hang there head at all.

Hopefully next year they play hard, tough like they did this year and perhaps make it to the second round.  That'd be nice going into their Free Agent Year (2011 when Redd and Gad get off the books).
Marquette University, Spring '08

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »
Interesting...
Some would say it's intelligent basketball to utilize mismatches in a 1 on 1 situation rather than passing the ball back and forth like a "team."  Do you not like seeing set plays to get mismatches or aren't you able to recognize them?

I love watching basketball...anyone that says the NBA is basketball is fooling themselves.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 07:57:27 AM »
I love watching basketball...anyone that says the NBA is basketball is fooling themselves.

I see this stuff mentioned all the time, but I have no idea what it means.  How is the NBA "not basketball?"  Then tell me, what is basketball?  Does it necessitate the use of peach baskets and/or ball-hugging shorts?

I'm sorry, but you sound like my dad who, when Favre was racking up MVPs, would lament that the Packers weren't running Lombardi's power sweep enough.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »

Check out this sweet bounce pass!

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »
Amazing that the Bucks haven't won a playoff series in a decade.  And another decade before that one, too. 

What a huge success if they can win just one more.

Still a huge success for me.  Greatly exceeded expectations.  Does show the need they have for Bogut to be healthy. 

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »

I see this stuff mentioned all the time, but I have no idea what it means.  How is the NBA "not basketball?"  Then tell me, what is basketball?  Does it necessitate the use of peach baskets and/or ball-hugging shorts?

I'm sorry, but you sound like my dad who, when Favre was racking up MVPs, would lament that the Packers weren't running Lombardi's power sweep enough.

I don't understand it either. NBA teams play a style of offense that gives him the best chance to win the game based on the players they have. It's not like Marquette has such a great structure of offense of a billion plays. All they do is swing and drive because that is want best fit their talent. It's ironic that the same people that complain about the NBA makes fun of the Badgers team-oriented style.
Also, the level of defense at the NBA level is so much higher than college. There's a reason why high-scorers in college don't always make it to the NBA.

And I love how people are quick to call NBA players thug. Look at the Bucks team right now... Bogut no....Delfino no...Ersan no....Salmons (extremely religious) no....Bell no...Redd (extremeness religious) no....Even jennings is more punk than a thug. He's just cocky but not a person that is going to get into legal problems. Even our MU team, which is one of the better behaved teams in the nation, was basically causing a riot outside of OP on Saturday night with street bikes and stuff.

feedback