[Today at 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[Today at 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kevin Noreen  (Read 25899 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Kevin Noreen
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:18 AM »
We agree completely...

Signed
Reggie Miller
Stephen Curry
Kevin Durant

It's funny that you mentioned Durant, because as soon as I typed the above, I turned on the Laker / OKC game.  There ya go, a 6'10" scorer.

Now I'm certainly not saying that this guy is going to be the next Kevin Durant, but I'd settle for the next Jon Leuer.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
I know people always throw around giving players academic scholarships to avoid using an athletic one but this case seems legit.  Above it says he scored a perfect 36 on his ACT with a 4.0 GPA.

What are the rules on this?  I assume the NCAA has some kind of rule reguarding players recieving academic scholarships otherwise anyone with a halfway decent GPA would recieve one.

Does anyone have any knowlege on this? BMA maybe?

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 10:16:09 AM »
The ncaa will find a way to throw a hissy fit. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »
If a guy with a 4.0 GPA and 36 ACT doesn't get an academic scholaship, no one does.

new mexico

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 10:36:28 AM »
From an old fart with probably a bad memory, I believe that Jerry Lucas turned down a BB scholarship and went to Ohio State on an academic scholarship

bma725

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 10:40:41 AM »
It happens in other sports all the time, but my recollection of how it can be done in basketball is a bit fuzzy.  Pitt has a kid coming in the fall who is a full ride pre-med student that will also be a preferred walk on to the basketball team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »
Well...my understanding is that he could decide to attend MU as a walk-on.  It would then be up to MU to determine his academic scholarship.  The problem is that the NCAA audits this stuff pretty carefully so it would be looking to make sure that an athlete isn't getting any special benefit.  And my understanding is that there is only one academic scholarship offered annually that is similar in scope to an athletic scholarship.  (Burke scholarship are only full-tuition for instance.)  Financial aid could be used to make up the difference however.

I also know that at D1 basketball, there are no partial athletic scholarships.  They all have to be full scholarships.

Furthermore, Noreen could transfer at any time.  He could transfer the day before classes start and MU has no protection like they would if he signed an LOI.  My guess is that this is the kind of stuff you don't mess with.  If you want the kid, you sign him up.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
Aren't there some restrictions on what you can and can't do when you are a walk-on? I thought that was one of the big things when Jordan's son got the scholarship, people were saying it was justified because he was able to have more access to tutors and the training room and stuff like that than he was able to as a walk-on.

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
If my ONLY option is to work out an academic scholarship without a LOI I take the risk on a 6'10" sniper who can come in right now and open up the court...I also do not understand why people are saying to redshirt this kid and wait until he bulks up to play...the muscle and low post presence can come later he doesnt need to be a 5 tool player right out of the shoot developing players can still be productive...this kid has also mentioned he wants to contribute early and I do not think that he would be sold on redshirting IMO...I really hope that we are telling gardner and cothron to wait because buzz believes noreen is the last peice to our 2010/2011 season...

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »
Well...my understanding is that he could decide to attend MU as a walk-on.  It would then be up to MU to determine his academic scholarship.  The problem is that the NCAA audits this stuff pretty carefully so it would be looking to make sure that an athlete isn't getting any special benefit.  And my understanding is that there is only one academic scholarship offered annually that is similar in scope to an athletic scholarship.  (Burke scholarship are only full-tuition for instance.)  Financial aid could be used to make up the difference however.

I also know that at D1 basketball, there are no partial athletic scholarships.  They all have to be full scholarships.

Furthermore, Noreen could transfer at any time.  He could transfer the day before classes start and MU has no protection like they would if he signed an LOI.  My guess is that this is the kind of stuff you don't mess with.  If you want the kid, you sign him up.
If a student plays basketball on an academic scholarship, is eligibility effected at all in terms of transfering or medical redshirting?

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
If my ONLY option is to work out an academic scholarship without a LOI I take the risk on a 6'10" sniper who can come in right now and open up the court...I also do not understand why people are saying to redshirt this kid and wait until he bulks up to play...the muscle and low post presence can come later he doesnt need to be a 5 tool player right out of the shoot developing players can still be productive...this kid has also mentioned he wants to contribute early and I do not think that he would be sold on redshirting IMO...I really hope that we are telling gardner and cothron to wait because buzz believes noreen is the last peice to our 2010/2011 season...
Of course this kid doesn't wanna red shirt, he will probally graduate in 3 years anyway.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »

I've heard this too.  If he does not sign a LOI, other schools can keep recruiting him while he is at MU.  It is theoretically possible he could play for us until the end of the semester and the next day transfer, and without the restrictions of a LOI, play right away for another school.

Do we really want other teams assistants on MU's campus talking to our players?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »
If a student plays basketball on an academic scholarship, is eligibility effected at all in terms of transfering or medical redshirting?

I am not sure about the redshirt issue, but he could transfer at any time without having to sit out.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »
While I think the chances of landing the guy without using an Athletic Scholarhip are long it does open up a lot of possibilities.  The staff could say that we have two centers both of which have "injury" issues.   We won't know what their situation will be until the end of the summer but using this alternative academic route we will make sure you have a full ride here one way or another.
If I'm the kid I'm not sure I care provided my school is fully paid and I'm treated like the other players (live in their accommodations etc).  In fact if you want to look at the positives from his side if he is not under an athletic scholarship a lot of the Stupid work rules should go away.  He can work a job and get paid.
As far as other teams "stealing" him once he is here without the LOI protection, its not like he is going to be the Kevin Durant.  If he averaged 4 points and 3 or 4 boards as a freshman that would be a great showing.  No high profile program is going try to steal a kid who's just average

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 12:18:07 PM »
He is going to have offer's at High Major's from all over the country he is not going to mess around with anything other than a full ride on a Athletic schlorship. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
I'd love to have this cat on our team. Hey, if nothing else he adds a little diversity. Don't be surprised, however, if he lands at NU. Much better fit academically and possibly athletically as well.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »
He is going to have offer's at High Major's from all over the country he is not going to mess around with anything other than a full ride on a Athletic schlorship. 

+1

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 01:40:16 PM »
I'd love to have this cat on our team. Hey, if nothing else he adds a little diversity. Don't be surprised, however, if he lands at NU. Much better fit academically and possibly athletically as well.

NU?  You think Northwestern is a better fit athletically than MU?  Please tell...
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »
Nvm, I'm an idiot...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:49:40 PM by JWags85 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 02:08:25 PM »
I said possibly a better athletic fit since I've never seen his game. If he can get up and down the court, then maybe it won't matter athletically. Carmody's Princeton offense, with a lot of ball movement,  is perfect for a spot up shooter. Scores are generally in the high 50's or 60's and the pace, in general, in the Big Ten is much slower. Buzz is on record as saying he wants to push the ball.
I'm glad you didn't attempt to challenge the academic fit, however.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »
I love Marquette as much as the next guy, and think its a fantastic academic school, but if you don't think NW is a better academic school, you are tripping.  Especially when we are talking about a very intelligent kid who most likely wouldn't struggle with coursework at either institution.

reading comprehension... please re-read my post
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010, 03:49:53 PM »
How's the fit athlemademically?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »
reading comprehension... please re-read my post

I already edited.  Its been a long week, my bad...Badger academic bravado must have clouded my senses.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
Just talked to a student who was at the Fan Fanatic picnic yesterday and he said the only team member not there was Erik Williams. Usually it's an event to introduce next year's team. Not to read too much into it, but this could be the mystery scholarship. Oh, and Mbao was there yesterday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »
No, Mbao will.

Not a bad idea.  We could find out how many of the five languages that Mbao knows that Kevin is also fluent in.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.