[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hitler Videos to be outlawed. CRAP  (Read 3171 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Hitler Videos to be outlawed. CRAP
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »
Well, we've all seen the famous Hitler videos on YouTube as a parody of something.  Some classics out there.  The 4 minute snippet is from a foreign film and they are exacting their copyright protection (which is perfectly fine).

So no more Hitler is pissed off clips on YouTube.   

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0422/1224268877210.html

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Hitler Videos to be outlawed. CRAP
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:56:17 AM »
This has to affect youtube's valuation.  Add up the hits on the 200 such videos (and their repreats) and it might be a billion hits.

Sell google!!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »
Well, we've all seen the famous Hitler videos on YouTube as a parody of something.  Some classics out there.  The 4 minute snippet is from a foreign film and they are exacting their copyright protection (which is perfectly fine).

So no more Hitler is pissed off clips on YouTube.   

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0422/1224268877210.html

Won't work, the works are satire...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:43:06 AM »
Won't work, the works are satire...

But someone else's original work makes up 90% of your "satire," isn't that still copyright infringement?  (I vaguely remember from way back in PR class that you have to change something at least 15% to avoid infringement.)

The question is if you're using the same audio, the same video, and are simply adding subtitles, is that a meaningful enough change to someone's original work?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:51:45 AM »
But someone else's original work makes up 90% of your "satire," isn't that still copyright infringement?  (I vaguely remember from way back in PR class that you have to change something at least 15% to avoid infringement.)

The question is if you're using the same audio, the same video, and are simply adding subtitles, is that a meaningful enough change to someone's original work?

fair use?  no one is making money on the youtube videos.

I'd wager that you could prove that changing subtitles is more than 15%

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 03:27:46 PM »
fair use?  no one is making money on the youtube videos.

I never really understood the concept of "fair use" aside from the fact than that I can make a personal copy of a DVD for my own use (suck on that RIAA).  Nevertheless, Google (or whoever owns YouTube) is making money on YouTube videos.  So there is an exchange of value here, although the author of the satire is not participating.

I'd wager that you could prove that changing subtitles is more than 15%

The onus should be on the one claiming infringement... it's going to be even more difficult to prove that it isn't.  Either way, YouTube probably doesn't want to spend the money defending themselves, even if they are in the right.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »
NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!!!  >:(
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 03:54:18 PM »
I never really understood the concept of "fair use" aside from the fact than that I can make a personal copy of a DVD for my own use (suck on that RIAA).  Nevertheless, Google (or whoever owns YouTube) is making money on YouTube videos.  So there is an exchange of value here, although the author of the satire is not participating.

The onus should be on the one claiming infringement... it's going to be even more difficult to prove that it isn't.  Either way, YouTube probably doesn't want to spend the money defending themselves, even if they are in the right.

if that isn't 'fair use' then very little on youtube is.

just sayin'.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »
In order to show fair use, there are four factors that are used. in accordance with 17 U.S.C. 107:

Purpose and character of the use
Nature of the copyrighted work
Amount and substantiality of the portion used
Commercial affect on the copyrighted work (including derivative works)

If this goes to trial, the court will have to weigh these factors, the 1st usually being the most important. The original work, in this case the movie, would likely be afforded, up front, pretty good protection, with the onus being on Youtube, or the video makers, to show fair use.

For these videos to constitute fair use, they have to show that they are either transformative in nature (adding something new to the original work). In this case, the Hitler videos would likely to be able to demonstrate this, as they are taking Hitler out of his original context of discussing the war to Hitler discussing whatever topic the author wants.

I think fair use would likely be held here, but, as was stated before, it is up to Youtube to put up the defense, or one of the videomakers to defend himself and try and set a precedent.

LON

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 05:44:37 PM »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 09:07:20 PM »
agreed.

I just watched it. Can't believe it's managed to stay up!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 11:00:48 PM »
#2 is awesome.

feedback