Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wardle Coach of UWGB  (Read 6139 times)

copious1218

• All American

squirrel

• Walk-On
Wardle Lands UW-GB Job
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:02:58 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Wardle Coach of UWGB
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:03:23 AM »
Wow!  Congrats to Mr. Wardle!

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:04:28 AM »
Nice work.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »
The Mike Deane tree of coaching begins (or are there others already?)

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »
Congratulations, Brian Wardle

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:11:12 AM »
Always enjoyed my time with Wardle at MU. Congratulations to him.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44:38 AM »
Proud day, never had a doubt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »
Ken made a good hire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »
I wonder if he will follow the Mike Deane strategy of pulling out at the next dead ball any non-high-scoring guard who lets his guy score?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
The Mike Deane tree of coaching begins (or are there others already?)

Actually, its the Tom Crean/Tom Izzo tree.  Wardle never coached under Deane.  PRN and 4EverWarriors must be happy today.... :D

In any event, congrats to a deserving brian Wardle... :)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »
So how about a first bank classic in early December of UWGB South Carolina and Liberty?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:30:21 PM »
Looking at the comments on the JSonline article it seems that the UW@Madison fans are a little cranky.  It seems that they felt one of their assistants was more deserving of the position.  Apparently the guy has been an assistant under Bo Ryan since he was head coach as UW@Platteville.

I can't speak for the coaching world, but if I see a guy that has spent 15 years as a subordinate I'd consider him a career subordinate that's wandering down his career path, as opposed to an aggressive young up-and-comer that will really attack the job and go the extra mile.  I'm not saying that I'm right in my prejudice, but I'd rather take a chance to try to hit a home run with a go-getter.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 12:48:14 PM »
Looking at the comments on the JSonline article it seems that the UW@Madison fans are a little cranky.  It seems that they felt one of their assistants was more deserving of the position.  Apparently the guy has been an assistant under Bo Ryan since he was head coach as UW@Platteville.

I can't speak for the coaching world, but if I see a guy that has spent 15 years as a subordinate I'd consider him a career subordinate that's wandering down his career path, as opposed to an aggressive young up-and-comer that will really attack the job and go the extra mile.  I'm not saying that I'm right in my prejudice, but I'd rather take a chance to try to hit a home run with a go-getter.

I think you are correct, and that is probably what the UWGB president thought as well. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 12:56:02 PM »
Actually, its the Tom Crean/Tom Izzo tree.  Wardle never coached under Deane.  PRN and 4EverWarriors must be happy today.... :D

In any event, congrats to a deserving brian Wardle... :)

ah ha.

You're right. I knew he didn't coach for Deane, but I was referring to him as a playing for Deane.

But, he played for, and coached for Crean, so I guess he would be more of a "Crean guy" than a "Deane guy" not that it really matters.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 01:15:24 PM »
ah ha.

You're right. I knew he didn't coach for Deane, but I was referring to him as a playing for Deane.

But, he played for, and coached for Crean, so I guess he would be more of a "Crean guy" than a "Deane guy" not that it really matters.

If he does poorly, he's a Crean guy. If he does well, all the credit should go to Buzz.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »
If he's good, MU may have a farm system going at UWGB. 

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »

Typical response from UW

Great post though, agree with the life long subordinate theory. 

Wardle will do great at UWGB....best of luck!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »
If he does poorly, he's a Crean guy. If he does well, all the credit should go to Buzz.

Not sure why you put that in teal

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
Typical response from UW

Great post though, agree with the life long subordinate theory. 

Wardle will do great at UWGB....best of luck!

Similar comments here

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=5851882

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 03:42:41 PM »
Good for him!

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 04:43:39 PM »
Do coaches from the "tree", or by friendships,  help each other by passdowns of recruits & does Brian have such an opportunity from Crean or MU passing down their scouted, but not targeted recruits?

A grade school friend was later FB coach at Valpo and he told me Tressel at OSU would pass down recruits to him and he was able to improve Valpo FB
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 04:57:44 PM »
That is awesome! He was one of the nicest people I had a chance to meet when I lived at Humphrey. I hope he succeeds except when he plays us!  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »

Greg Gard is by all accounts a very nice guy and someone that has been with Bo for years.  However, my understanding is that he isn't much much of a recruiter.  His brother is the current coach at UW-Platteville.

My guess is that he really wanted this job though so that he could continue his UW System benefits.  For an assistant coach, that would mean a lot.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 06:24:30 PM »

Well...after UWGB beat them, Madison fans were probably hoping that an Ex-Badger assistant would get GB running a "system" so that the next time that the teams met, UW could "out system" UWGB.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback