Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Newbill  (Read 9174 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Newbill
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
official announcement?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
So you are all saying that if we could get Dieng, or Cothron you would rather have Newbill? I simply said a project big because it has been clear on this board that alot of people think all the bigs left in this year's class are projects.

I'm saying it would be the epitome of classlessness for Buzz to reneg on a kid after he gave a verbal commitment no matter if Michael Jordan AND Lebron James were available.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »
Newbill signed his LOI to Marquette today.

Awesome!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »
West Virginia had offered when he commited, he did not play much AAU ball which is where most player's get rated.  He is tall (6-4) strong (195) He shoots at a high % from the FG, FT and 3P.  He hit multiple game winner's and was by far the best player on one of the best teams in Philly.  I think he is really going to suprise people nationally.  I think he will be the Jimmy Bulter of this class where he may not be great at anything he is good at everything and knows how to win.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »
Welcome to Marquette DJ Newbill!!  Newest Marquette Warrior!  We are all looking forward to seeing you play!  May your career be awesome at Marquette!!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:27:52 PM by NCMUFan »

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 11:54:24 AM »
I'm saying it would be the epitome of classlessness for Buzz to reneg on a kid after he gave a verbal commitment no matter if Michael Jordan AND Lebron James were available.

Jordan is only 6'6".  Forget it, we need a big!!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
It is at least worth mentioning that he was a late verbal commit....and let's just say he wasn't juggling his options with UK, KU, UConn....etc. And it's not like Philly is the type of city where good ballers go unnoticed.... Buzz, all the way from Milwaukee, didnt uncover Philly's hidden gem so late in the recruiting process.

It's also not like Philly is the type of city where a crapty baller is going to lead his team to the state final and receive player of the year in his class. Huggy Bear offered him and he don't unnatural carnal knowledge around with finding talent.

Newbill will have an impact at Marquette.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »
Isn't Kobe Bryant from Philly?  Enough with this crap about Philly not producing bball talent.  Can't wait to see how DJ and his classmates fit into the program.  I think next year will be a treat for us fans.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »
Hey, opinions are pretty boys but this is kitten.

I second this, no matter what it means!! ;)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »
I think it's safe to say that nobody agrees with the poster of this thread.  I'll continue the trend and say that I am happy to have him and hope that Mark Miller is correct in saying that he signed today.

Welcome to Marquette University DJ!

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 12:39:29 PM »
I wasnt saying I didn't want the guy to sign, I simply meant that if we could have gotten Dieng or Cothron I would be over it

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 12:41:12 PM »
I wasnt saying I didn't want the guy to sign, I simply meant that if we could have gotten Dieng or Cothron I would be over it

You said:  "I for one don't really mind if we let him go."

That is a funny way of saying you want him to sign.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 01:07:50 PM »
I worded it wrong. I was more or less implying that if we could get 1 of those 2 then I dont know how much the loss of Newbill wouldve hurt...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »
Would anybody be devastated or angry if he does not sign? Would we rather have a project big or another guard on a guard loaded team. I for one don't really mind if we let him go. He was not even in the highest division of hs basketball in his state.

The above was your original post - it didn't say anything about Cothron or Dieng - just said rather have a project big (Cothron ranked 30th best player in the country hardly qualifies as project)..then you posted this:

Regardless of intent, it is probably just best to give this topic a rest.  I've seen other posts you've made that were well thought out, etc., and don't think you meant any malice by your original post - but it just isn't very classy..and not your best work..so drop it!!  Also, just because DJ signed, doesn't necessarily mean we are out of the game on a project big (or a big of the caliber of Cothron/Dieng)...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »

Regardless of intent, it is probably just best to give this topic a rest. 

+1,000,000 especially since he is signed and there is no upside discussing the pros and cons of him signing.  Can the moderators lock this thread?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »
It says in the MU release that he was a McDonald's All American candidate. Does anybody know how many people are considered a candidate? And how you get considered for the game? My guess, based on rankings and name, is that Vander Blue and Jamail Jones were also candidates. Is that correct?

Can't wait for this kid, and this whole class, to come in. There's not a single player in the class I'm not extremely excited to see. Buzz seems to be living up to his word to have 13 high major players on the team. Now if he can land that coveted big...for the false of 2011
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »
Welcome DJ! He's a player. His attitude seems great. If you've seen him he looks stocky and strong. This developing roster is going to be the deepest
in size and talent in decades.. Buzz is doing all he can.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 05:49:40 PM »
Blue was a candidate,didn't see Jones on the list

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
Welcome DJ! He's a player. His attitude seems great. If you've seen him he looks stocky and strong. This developing roster is going to be the deepest
in size and talent in decades.. Buzz is doing all he can.

Agree 100% - Unless all of the recruiting services are way off on Vander, Reggie and Jamail..and assuming the recruiting services/rankings have overlooked DJ to an extent since he wasn't a big AAU circuit kid..along with the addition of Crowder...WOW!!  Think of the complexion of next years roster:

JUCO National Player of the Year - Crowder
3 First Team All American JUCOs - Buycks, DJO and I think Fulce?
2nd Team All Big East  - Jimmy Butler
Top 100 rated recruits:
Junior Cadougan, Erik Williams, Vander Blue, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith (105, but close enough)

Thats 10 players with major accolades and you add DJ Newbill, state player of the year in his Division of basketball in PA...not sure MU has ever assembled this kind of talent??.Thanks BUZZ and staff!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »
Agree 100% - Unless all of the recruiting services are way off on Vander, Reggie and Jamail..and assuming the recruiting services/rankings have overlooked DJ to an extent since he wasn't a big AAU circuit kid..along with the addition of Crowder...WOW!!  Think of the complexion of next years roster:

JUCO National Player of the Year - Crowder
3 First Team All American JUCOs - Buycks, DJO and I think Fulce?
2nd Team All Big East  - Jimmy Butler
Top 100 rated recruits:
Junior Cadougan, Erik Williams, Vander Blue, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith (105, but close enough)

Thats 10 players with major accolades and you add DJ Newbill, state player of the year in his Division of basketball in PA...not sure MU has ever assembled this kind of talent??.Thanks BUZZ and staff!

Fulce was a second team All-American, Butler Honorable Mention, both as freshmen, of course.

Newbill was also first team all-state in PA. (all divisions)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:27:17 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
There are A LOT of players that nominated for the McDonalds AA game.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 09:50:46 PM »
And, ZFB dines at McDonalds.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 10:00:42 PM »
Welcome to the MU basketball family, DJ!

You'll be the 3rd DJ in recent memory - Dominic James and Darius Johnson-Odom - so I think you should pick the number 3 jersey...

I have a feeling that Wade will let you. ;)

RING OUT AHOYA!
SS Marquette

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:05 PM »
not playing in the highest division of hs ball in the state does not mean you can't be a high quality player.

Two words:  Lebron James

mviale

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
Would anybody be devastated or angry if he does not sign? Would we rather have a project big or another guard on a guard loaded team. I for one don't really mind if we let him go. He was not even in the highest division of hs basketball in his state.

This would in effect shut us out of Philly - two kids in a row.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

feedback