Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: when they were nobody stories -- please share yours  (Read 6132 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
when they were nobody stories -- please share yours
« on: April 03, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »
w/duke coverage on ESPN, I am reminded of a chance encounter in the arena--many years ago. Post game, after MU had badly beat them, then unknown Army coach K walked up to a urinal next to me, and I asked him-- pretty tough huh? He said "yeah but we have to play these to gauge where we need to get"
I know --dumb story, but you'll have better ones to post here--please do

Here is another "when they were nobody"  quest.

-- What wisconsin HS had (at the same time period)..
..1)a headmaster who'd become  a future NBA GM (2 teams),
2)a  head BB coach who worked in NBA (coached D league style team, later was color announcer) and
3)a JV BB coach who would be long term NBA coach?
4)The headmaster's son also would be an nba exec w/2 teams.......................

Answer: Wayland academy in Beaver Dam (at same time)had :
1)Ray Patterson, head master  ( later GM of Bucks and Rockets)
2)Ron Blomberg (head BB coach at Wayland) formed and coached Muskies and color announced  w/ Eddie Doucette; and
 3)Tom Nissalke (JV BB coach at Wayland) coached many years, various  teams in NBA sea, utah, hou, cle)-- --
all these were at Wayland in late 60's 
and
4) Son Steve Patterson, a wayland grad worked with rockets and blazers in NBA (Steve also told me he went to Wayland with the guy who'd later be known as Rick Flair, the WWF wrestler)
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
Re: when they were nobody stories -- please share yours
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:18:45 PM »
Haven't met anyone taking a leak "when they were nobody" but I have gotten to see some good athletes/bands show their stuff before they hit it big.

1.) Saw Jonathan Spector play soccer as a sophomore for St. Viator in 2001. Spector eventually spent time with Manchester United, currently plays for West Ham United in the English Premier League, and should be starting on the back line for the U.S. National Team in the World Cup this summer.

2.) Saw Candace Parker (National Champion w/ Tennessee, now with Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA; 2008 WNBA MVP and Rookie of the Year) absolutely posterize a girl from Glenbard North in a Sectional Semifinal I was working in 2002 when she was playing for Naperville Central. It was only the second time that a girl had dunked in an Illinois high school game.

3.) Saw Dropkick Murphys play at the Rave in 2003 when they were somewhat known, but not nearly on the level now where everyone knows them from Shippin' Up to Boston.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:28:22 PM »
The summer after the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers and he was still a somewhat unknown, at least as far as the NFL is concerned, I went to a celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe and decided to follow Aaron, since, being from Northern California, I knew who he was from his days at Cal. He was really the coolest celebrity there. He let my nephew, who's eight, hit a chip shot for him since he was already out of it.

I think Dan Quayle was his partner and Quayle was beating the field by like four strokes. He played semi-professionally at the time.

caltruda

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »
Interesting thread idea...

I was a freshman when John Crotty was a senior at my high school. Crotty went on to a nice career at Virginia and then as a backup PG in Miami and for a long while to Stockton in Utah. First time I had ever seen a peer who was on a completely different plane athletically and skill-wise.

My sophomore year my high school played arguably the best St. Anthony's team ever -- Hurley and Dehere in the backcourt, Jerry Walker and a couple of 6-9 guys in the frontcourt and Rodrick Rhodes was the sixth man as a freshman. They had just come back the day before from playing a tournament in Fla where they ripped two of the top three teams in the nation by a combined 50 points. My school took an 11-10 lead after one quarter, Hurley switched to a 1-3-1 zone and my school trailed 22-12 at halftime. Just awesome talent well-meshed.

At Marquette, I went to my first college soccer match and it was against UW-Milwaukee, which had Tony Sanneh. Bennett just let him loose on the pitch, let him play wherever he wanted to and he was just awesome. Went onto a nice career abroad and with the USMNT.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:38:44 PM »
I went to high school with Adam Koch, who just played his last season with the Northern Iowa team that knocked of Kansas. He's the dude that took the charge on Sheron Collins in the closing part of that game. Kid was a baller then, and still is now. I remember hearing he went to UNI and asking myself who the heck Northern Iowa was. Never would have thought then that I would see him on the court taking down a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:52:07 PM »
I have a former co-worker who grew up in Spencer, Wisconsin.  He told me stories about how he matched up on the basketball court against Mark Tauscher, who played in the same conference at Auburndale.  He played against him about two-dozen times from sixth grade onwards, and generally got the better of him, until my friend stopped growing while Tauscher started growing and putting on the weight later on in high school.  Tauscher eventually lead his Auburndale team to a state championship before going onto Wisconsin and the Green Bay Packers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:03:26 PM »
One more...Phil Hellmuth graduated high school a year ahead of me.  He was a complete tool.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »
I had a psychology class with Abel Joseph.  When he came in on the first day the guy next to me turned to me and said, "Hey, that's Abel Joseph."

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:16:08 PM »
I went to Lockport Township High School with friend and classmate, one of the best dunkers I have ever seen (holds the record vertical leap at UW) Alando Tucker. Oh he was also an Academic All State teamer with me (he had like a 3.9GPA, and was as nice of a guy as you'll meet)

More fun for all of us here, my family owns a breakfast joint down in Posen, IL. Posen is a neighboring city to Robbins IL and fairly close to Oak Lawn (Richards HS). As a high school senior committed to Marquette, my mom tells me that there is a family that often comes in wearing MU gear and that their son/grandson plays basketball at the school. I was working one weekend and a young fella comes into the restaurant with his entire family after church- I recognize him as Dwyane Wade (I followed Illinois high school hoops because of Alando and knew Wade was at MU- they had recently been upset in the NCAA tourney) They come up to pay and I say, "Hey you are Dwyane Wade, nice to meet you Im coming to Marquette in the fall"... He replies "No way, you know who I am? Nice to meet you kid" with a big grin on his face and then we have a 5 minute conversation on how much he loves the school and how I made a great decision, oh and how much he loves our breakfast  :D... He was one reason as to why going to MU was such a great choice

I will never forget how happy he was that I knew him... classic to look back on now

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:18:44 PM »
I went to Lockport Township High School with friend and classmate, one of the best dunkers I have ever seen (holds the record vertical leap at UW) Alando Tucker. Oh he was also an Academic All State teamer with me (he had like a 3.9GPA, and was as nice of a guy as you'll meet)

More fun for all of us here, my family owns a breakfast joint down in Posen, IL. Posen is a neighboring city to Robbins IL and fairly close to Oak Lawn (Richards HS). As a high school senior committed to Marquette, my mom tells me that there is a family that often comes in wearing MU gear and that their son/grandson plays basketball at the school. I was working one weekend and a young fella comes into the restaurant with his entire family after church- I recognize him as Dwyane Wade (I followed Illinois high school hoops because of Alando and knew Wade was at MU- they had recently been upset in the NCAA tourney) They come up to pay and I say, "Hey you are Dwyane Wade, nice to meet you Im coming to Marquette in the fall"... He replies "No way, you know who I am? Nice to meet you kid" with a big grin on his face and then we have a 5 minute conversation on how much he loves the school and how I made a great decision, oh and how much he loves our breakfast  :D... He was one reason as to why going to MU was such a great choice

I will never forget how happy he was that I knew him... classic to look back on now

Was Star Jones on his arm?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:15:32 PM »

[/quote

>>>
I judged a student mock trial at UH law in 1985  and one of the competing students was Star Jones
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 12:00:58 AM »

[/quote

>>>
I judged a student mock trial at UH law in 1985  and one of the competing students was Star Jones

haha nice

I know that was an attempt at humor 4ever, but no, siohvaughn was on his arm at the time

miamiflashfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 12:02:55 AM »
I was a grade-schooler in Brown Deer when Novak was in high school and was in the same first grade class as his sister (who's also a decent player for DSHA).  

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 12:11:53 AM »

Now Gabrielle Union is on his arm...she is a good looking woman.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 12:17:01 AM »
I had a history class with Mark Harris.  When he came in on the first day the guy next to me turned to me and said, "Hey, that's Mark Harris."
SS Marquette

Norm

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
Went to high school with Gus Johnson of CBS broadcast fame. He was two years ahead of me but we both played on the baseball team  He got a full ride to Howard. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 07:23:42 AM »
Does this count? Ate at the same restaurant once when Crean walked in and sat down after the FF. Got sick to my stomach and had to leave.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 09:19:24 AM »
I went to high school with Devin Harris and Scott Merritt.

In 2001 I owned DWade in a Halo match in Humphry at my buddie's apartment.

It wasn't before HE was famous, but when I was in high school in the late 90s I met this crazy old guy telling jokes at my friend's parent's bbq.  My buddy kept telling me how famous he was and what a big deal he was.  It wasn't until his passing that I realized how lucky I was to have met Al McGuire and have him spend his valuable time telling me ridiculous stories.  Looking back I realize that he probably preferred talking to me because I had no clue who he was :P

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 10:01:21 AM »
In MU's program at Univ of Madrid, my brother and I were traveling through Glasgow Scotland, in 1978. At a pub, a little group named "something else" was playing, and their singer said she was helping pay for school, so tips were appreciated.
She married in 1979, and became known as Sheena Easton. Some here would know of her music.

My grade school buddy from 83rd & north ended up for 2 years at UH and played on the second team golf squad , with Blaine Macalester and Fred Couples on varsity (Jim Nance was their buddy).
In practice, Couples sailed his 1st drive right on a dogleg left. My buddy said he pulled another ball and his pencil out, used it as a tee and w/ it high, he drove OVER the dogleg left-- on to the par 4 green , with the shot. UH guys gave him nickname boomer ...every once in a while you'll still hear Jim Nance call him boomer on tv

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 10:15:56 PM »
Does this count?

My wife is having a rummage sale, around 1995.  I pull into the driveway and there is a car parked next to me.  I glance at the car, and see it's Al in the car.  He sees me look at him, and pulls his fishing cap down lower, trying to hide.  I know of Al's aversion to being noticed in public, so I leave him alone.  I walk into the garage, and tell my wife...."Al McGuire is in the driveway.  She says  "I know".

Sh*t, but maybe he'll talk to me on the other side.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 10:56:26 PM »
Less important: One of the Girls from Gossip girl (allegedly) went to my High School. She was a grade older than me but I'm not sure how often she was there.

Not Quite a before they were famous: When I was in high school, 03-04ish I was considering a journalism major to mainly focus on sports. My dad was sharing this information with a guy while he was getting his hair cut. -He and I go to a barber out in Whitefish Bay. My dad lived there years ago, this barber does good work.- Well the guy that he was sharing this with said that if your son (me) wanted to, give him a call and he'll be able to sit in the media area at a few UWM games since he worked at UWM. My dad said sure and asked for his business card. He didn't think much of it til he got home and showed me the business card. I told him he'd been talking to (at the time) UWM's head coach: Bruce Pearl.

Ran into Buzz around Christmas time last year at Sharper Image. our families talked for a few minutes, not about basketball, told him I loved Buzz's bunch.

Working at the country club in High School/early college that had a "celeb golf event" I got to meet a bunch of former Packers and such. LeRoy butler taught me how to drive a golf cart.

Uecker golfed at the country club too. I never talked to him about sports, asked him when he'd hook me up with mr. belvedere dvds or his sport jacket from the 90s Admirals/Miller Lite commercials.
Caddied for Brunkhorst too but I already mentioned that.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 11:04:25 PM »
I've met KIT of Knight Rider fame......he's pretty cool.  Full disclosure is that I am lame and don't have a good story.  However,  I have experienced Rick Majerus a bit and that guy is absolutely hilarious.  He's a really cool guy.  His personality is the same as on tv.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
-He and I go to a barber out in Whitefish Bay. My dad lived there years ago, this barber does good work.-

Is Dave Haase your barber?  I haven't seen him in years.  Really a great guy.

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 11:54:15 PM »
-- What wisconsin HS had (at the same time period)..
..1)a headmaster who'd become  a future NBA GM (2 teams),
2)a  head BB coach who worked in NBA (coached D league style team, later was color announcer) and
3)a JV BB coach who would be long term NBA coach?
4)The headmaster's son also would be an nba exec w/2 teams.......................

What Wisconsin High School had a gym teacher who later ran the World Champion San Antonio Spurs club?

Oak Creek HS - Sam Shuler

warriors77

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »
I met John Wall, before the season started, when he wasn't a household name.

feedback