[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 3D sports....really cool  (Read 3215 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
3D sports....really cool
« on: March 23, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »
I just saw my first demos of baseball in 3D as well as football.  We're doing a ton in this space with FOX, ESPN and Major League Baseball.

The World Cup will be in 3D as well.....  I wasn't sure if I would enjoy the experience, but the picture is really cool and definitely takes it another step forward like you're part of the game, as if you're sitting in the stands.   You certainly won't be seeing a ball flying at you or any of the silly stuff in the movies, but quite an experience.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
Re: 3D sports....really cool
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »
I've been looking forward to World Cup coverage on espn3D...what are your feelings on its availability come June.
I hear the glasses for 3Dtv are in the neighborhood of 100$ a piece, Even watching at a bar and renting glasses will be expensive (if possible)
Realistically are any establishments going to offer an enjoyable 3D television experience for the World cup or MLB with such a short window of preparation.
With that said, the viewers vantage point in relation to 3D is very important. Sports Bars offering this will almost have to create a theater like viewing area for their investment to be enjoyed.
I don't see it picking up except in homes and that is years away.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:14:48 PM »
I've been looking forward to World Cup coverage on espn3D...what are your feelings on its availability come June.
I hear the glasses for 3Dtv are in the neighborhood of 100$ a piece, Even watching at a bar and renting glasses will be expensive (if possible)
Realistically are any establishments going to offer an enjoyable 3D television experience for the World cup or MLB with such a short window of preparation.
With that said, the viewers vantage point in relation to 3D is very important. Sports Bars offering this will almost have to create a theater like viewing area for their investment to be enjoyed.
I don't see it picking up except in homes and that is years away.

My feeling is very strong on it's availability in June.   ;)

The glasses are about $150 each at a retail price.... Panasonic is working on some promotions to get several pairs free if you buy one of their 3D HD televisions.

I would agree that it's like a home entertainment product.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »
Excuse my ignorance here... but what is the difference between watching a 3D TV with glasses and watching a normal HDTV with glasses?  I remember watching 3D on my old tube-set back in the 80's with glasses.  It seems to me that I should be able to watch 3D on any TV, not just a 3DTV.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »
3D-ready TV sets work with LCD shutter glasses, where the TV tells the glasses which eye should see the image on the screen at a particular moment, thus creating a 3D image.  These TV's also need a high refresh rate in order to achieve this.  This technology has benefits, such as eliminating ghosting, over previous ways of doing 3D like the red and blue glasses of the past.

I was actually just in Best Buy this morning and I tried on a pair of glasses hooked up to a 55" Sony 3D-TV, and  I just laughed. I can't imagine myself wanting to sit in my house and wear these glasses for the "benefit" of 3D. To me it's just a huge gimmick.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
I believe a refresh rate of 120hz is minimum for HD3D because each lense of each glass shutters at 60hz.
It is some what of a 3D simulation like being drunk and looking at a flat image w/ one eye closed. LOL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »
3D-ready TV sets work with LCD shutter glasses, where the TV tells the glasses which eye should see the image on the screen at a particular moment, thus creating a 3D image.  These TV's also need a high refresh rate in order to achieve this.  This technology has benefits, such as eliminating ghosting, over previous ways of doing 3D like the red and blue glasses of the past.

I was actually just in Best Buy this morning and I tried on a pair of glasses hooked up to a 55" Sony 3D-TV, and  I just laughed. I can't imagine myself wanting to sit in my house and wear these glasses for the "benefit" of 3D. To me it's just a huge gimmick.

That's going to be the big question.  Will people sit and watch television with the glasses on?  I originally said no, but I'm not so convinced anymore.  With 3D games coming out, the younger generation won't think twice on this stuff to do it.

Ultimately, it comes down to content.  Most people won't need the glasses since these televisions are all HD and the content is there.  You will only wear the glasses when 3D content is on, which will be occasional at best (at least for now).  But I must say, the demos that I saw were really cool and I forgot I was wearing the glasses very quickly.  The glasses are much nicer \ cooler than anything you would have to wear at the movie theatre, that's for sure.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:37:38 PM »
Can they hook you up with designer frames like Cartier?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »
what's up the the RGB+yellow technology?  been seeing commercials for that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
The last time I saw something in 3D, I was at the Navy Pier IMAX and got a headache about 5 minutes in (lucky me got to watch a blurry picture of penguins for an hour)... something that I understand is not uncommon, especially for people whose eyes have different prescriptions (e.g. I'm 20/50 in my left eye, 20/80 in my right).

Is this something that is rectified/addresses by the new technology, or do I need to get the special 3D glasses with the ibuprofen drip?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:47:30 AM »
I don't think its ever going to be perfect, I saw avatar @ the imax in 3d and was uncomfortable the whole time.
It was worth it for avatar....will it be worth it for mexico vs. south africa? I doubt it.

LON

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 08:49:25 AM »
I don't think its ever going to be perfect, I saw avatar @ the imax in 3d and was uncomfortable the whole time.
It was worth it for avatar....will it be worth it for mexico vs. south africa? I doubt it.

I'd want them if they are going to show me Brazil's supporters during their games.  The women, of course.

I'm also curious about this.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
Women wear jockstraps in Brazil?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 10:45:19 AM »

Normally, each pixel on an LCD is capable of displaying red, green or blue in order to create the picture. Sharp is producing new LCD's wherein each pixel can now also display yellow as well.  They claim that instead of producing the standard millions of colors with sets of the past, these new TV's can produce trillions of colors. One comment I read about these TV's is:
Humans, like most mammals, are trichromatic. The current RGB system already maps very closely to the three standard color-detecting cones in the retina of trichromats – blue, green and red. Considering that screens already support far more than the typical 100 different gradations of color a person can detect, it wouldn’t even help to expand the color combinations in the yellow color range.

So again, it would seem like another gimmick to charge more money for the "upgrade".