[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: As frustrating as a loss as I can remember.....  (Read 9771 times)

wojosdojo

• All American
Re: As frustrating as a loss as I can remember.....
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 09:18:43 PM »
Live and learn boys....

Great year, let's make it six in a row next year, keep it building!

Only one team ends the season happy.  Pass the RWB's

It's going to take a lot longer than 10 minutes to get over this loss.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 09:18:54 PM »
No..he didn't get outcoached - he got hosebagged by the refs.  When we went up 15..UW resorted to overdenying everything, hounding the hell out of Acker..while hacking him, bumping him...not one call.  Refs let UW get away with extremely agressive D.  When you defend that hard, there are fouls that can be called.  Refs decided to swallow the whistle.  Unless of course it meant giving Pondexter a call...after the refs saw the ball didn't go in..with a terrible late whistle.  

^This.  There's NO WAY we had more team fouls than they did in the second half. It's simply impossible. Mo was getting abused.

romey

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
No..he didn't get outcoached - he got hosebagged by the refs.  When we went up 15..UW resorted to overdenying everything, hounding the hell out of Acker..while hacking him, bumping him...not one call.  Refs let UW get away with extremely agressive D.  When you defend that hard, there are fouls that can be called.  Refs decided to swallow the whistle.  Unless of course it meant giving Pondexter a call...after the refs saw the ball didn't go in..with a terrible late whistle.  

that was so bad I couldn't do anything but laugh.  "Oh, he missed the shot with an airball? I guess there must have been a foul!"

How about the jump stop by them before Zar's third foul.  jump stop from the left box into the lane, no shot there, he then steps back to his left where he started from (after a complete stop) and that's NOT a travel?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »
They made their layups, we didn't. they were able to drive to the basket without penalty and were aided by no calls on their very agressive defense. Our defense didn't hold up and our offense flailed. sad ending to a very exciting year

redddog13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:19 PM »
What horrible offense.. Every time they get a big lead they go to a slow it down  offense and give it all right back. Fooking stomp on their throats and keep the momentum going.  Not settle for a last second shot or turn the ball over... That does nothing for our rebounding disadvantage and doesn't play into their style of D.  

We got buzzed no doubt about.  Yeah the refs pissed me off to but thats no excuse for the offensive clusterfook

DawgDentist

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »
Please don't blame the refs.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »
UW pretty much erased DJO in the second half, and Butler was awful all night (in part thanks to the refs ). End of story. A 6-5 Center and a 5-8 PG cannot beat a team like that by themselves, even though they came pretty close.

I know now why we got a 6 seed...UW was no 11 seed. Probably a fair amount of proceedure in that match-up. That was an 8-9 game if I've ever seen one.

murambler

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 09:22:08 PM »

I kind of felt the same way... there was a lot of bumping, handchecking, and swiping that wasn't called.  I don't usually blame refs but that was evident to me.  Also, I understand Lazar didn't want to pick up any fouls on D, but when he decided to part ways like the Red Sea and let Washington drive by, he would never even put a hand up; same thing happened when he was the 2nd help defender.  Horrible defense throughout the game, we let them dictate the pace from the outset, and there was a lot of handchecking/bumping that just wasn't called.  

In the end, great season.  We'll all feel better tomorrow.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:23 PM »
Please don't blame the refs.

go away.  you are not wanted here.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 09:24:59 PM »
UW was ranked #9 preseason they are very talented.  We lost the game becuase we could not rebound.

Guy Fieri's Dad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 09:25:41 PM »
I am as frustrated as everyone else but can we really blame the loss on the referees when we blew a 15 point lead in the second half and gave up 5+ offensive rebounds in the last two minutes?
yes did you watch the game.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2010, 09:25:58 PM »
go away.  you are not wanted here.
+++++++++++++++++1

DawgDentist

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »
+++++++++++++++++1

oh +++++++++++++1 wow, okay, you guys were up 15 and you blew it. 15! Nice work choke artists.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27:40 PM »
You know how pathetic it sounds when people on this board consistently blame the refs after every loss?  The refs were consistently calling it close.  People always remember the close calls that go against them, but they never remember the calls that go for them.  

Did they miss some?  Sure.  But Romar changed up his defense and we blew a 15 point lead.  

Jesus, you people sound like a bunch of whiney losers.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
I kind of felt the same way... there was a lot of bumping, handchecking, and swiping that wasn't called.  I don't usually blame refs but that was evident to me.  Also, I understand Lazar didn't want to pick up any fouls on D, but when he decided to part ways like the Red Sea and let Washington drive by, he would never even put a hand up; same thing happened when he was the 2nd help defender.  Horrible defense throughout the game, we let them dictate the pace from the outset, and there was a lot of handchecking/bumping that just wasn't called.  

In the end, great season.  We'll all feel better tomorrow.

Yea, Zar did that a few times that lead to gravy baskets. It's not like he had 4 fouls either.

I thought the huge key for Washington was Turner. Those four threes were huge from a guy averaging 5 points on the year.

We were great offensively overall except for Butler, we just couldn't get stops or get defensive rebounds late.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »
oh +++++++++++++1 wow, okay, you guys were up 15 and you blew it. 15! Nice work choke artists.

Yeesh, trash talking IN a Marquette forum? Good luck hacking your way to the sweet 16.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:15 PM »
this MU team always reminded me of that team that lost to Tulsa in the first round---forget what year that was.  We are back on the way up

punchystones

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:23 PM »
You know how pathetic it sounds when people on this board consistently blame the refs after every loss?  The refs were consistently calling it close.  People always remember the close calls that go against them, but they never remember the calls that go for them.  

Did they miss some?  Sure.  But Romar changed up his defense and we blew a 15 point lead.  

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Thank you!!!!  ++++++++++++++++++1

DawgDentist

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »
Yeesh, trash talking IN a Marquette forum? Good luck hacking your way to the sweet 16.
Thanks, enjoy the rest of the tourney without a rooting interest. Hacking? How about blowing a 15 point lead? Good luck choking your way through the rest of the off season.d

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
No..he didn't get outcoached - he got hosebagged by the refs. When we went up 15..UW resorted to overdenying everything, hounding the hell out of Acker..while hacking him, bumping him...not one call.  Refs let UW get away with extremely agressive D.  When you defend that hard, there are fouls that can be called.  Refs decided to swallow the whistle.  Unless of course it meant giving Pondexter a call...after the refs saw the ball didn't go in..with a terrible late whistle.  

sorry, he got outcoached, again, by simply trying to slow the play, again, after getting a double digit lead, again.  there's way too much time left to turn to milk the clock type offense, especially against a team that won the Pac-10*.  did the refs seemingly let UW get away with more physical play in the 2nd half, sure did.  but that's what happens when one team appears to be playing on their heals and one is being the aggressor.  roles were reversed when MU was taking it to UW.  you look weak/timid in the face of aggressive play refs/announcers/fans aren't going to see you being fouled, just being out played by the better team.

* i know it's a down year for the Pac-10, but it's still a bcs league, and their best teams in a down year are as good or better than most mid major teams in a good year and in the same ballpark as Big East #5- 12 teams.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 09:36:39 PM »

It's not whining if it is justifiable.  It was obvious Romar told his guys your season is on the line..you have to go all out on D..and they did..but..they also fouled the hell out of Acker..one guy asked why Cooby was handling the ball so much down the stretch..the reason..because they were bodying the hell out of Acker..and we couldn't get a call.  When you can't initiate offense, due to the other team being able to body the hell out of your point guard as soon as he crosses half court..its hard to score.  In fact they called an offensive fould against MO..in the 2nd half when the UW player was riding his body..hard..for about the 5 possession in a row..when Mo dropped his shouler on him a bit..just to get him off of him..as he'd been riding his body for 25 feet.  The officiating was a JOKE..and I hope Buzz rips it in the press conference.  BS call on Jimmy on a rebound attempt against Pondexter..where they both jump simultaneously and Jimmy is in better rebounding position..and Pondexter goes to the ground..foul..Jimmy
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:06 PM »
Thanks, enjoy the rest of the tourney without a rooting interest. Hacking? How about blowing a 15 point lead? Good luck choking your way through the rest of the off season.d
with dentist in your screen name I am picturing someone in their 30's or 40's.  I would hope an actual adult would have a little more class.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »

Oh, I'll have a rooting interest.  At this point, it begins with New Mexico/Montana.

DawgDentist

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 09:39:20 PM »
with dentist in your screen name I am picturing someone in their 30's or 40's.  I would hope an actual adult would have a little more class.

29, thanks though, quit whining about the refs.

DawgDentist

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
Oh, I'll have a rooting interest.  At this point, it begins with New Mexico/Montana.

:'(

feedback